Water stain on suede lining - help!

Buckeyemommy

Jan 17, 2014
I got caught in a torrential downpour leaving work Friday carrying my new summer canvas tote. I thought I had her protected (I took the brunt of it) but disappointedly found this water stain on the lining. Any suggestions? I'm afraid it's because I didn't see it right away and dried it quicker. I am so sad!
IMG_1495416887.383521.jpg

AND of course wearing my argento espadrilles and they got soaked. It's been so wet and humid here they still are not dry. I'm afraid they will be damaged too. I'm scared of the dryer. Hair dryer maybe?

I got caught in a torrential downpour leaving work Friday carrying my new summer canvas tote. I thought I had her protected (I took the brunt of it) but disappointedly found this water stain on the lining. Any suggestions? I'm afraid it's because I didn't see it right away and dried it quicker. I am so sad!
View attachment 3706213

AND of course wearing my argento espadrilles and they got soaked. It's been so wet and humid here they still are not dry. I'm afraid they will be damaged too. I'm scared of the dryer. Hair dryer maybe?
Rub the marks with a clean damp kitchen sponge. Once dry, use a clean toothbrush to raise the suede nap back up. If this doesn't do the trick, then I can only suggest sending to Modern Leather NYC for professional cleaning, which shouldn't cost too much.

Do you have a dryer shelf to put in your dryer for things like shoes ... Perhaps stuffing the shoes with newspaper and putting them on your dryer shelf on very very low heat ...? OR just stuffing the shoes and setting them aside until they dry may be the better option.

Rub the marks with a clean damp kitchen sponge. Once dry, use a clean toothbrush to raise the suede nap back up. If this doesn't do the trick, then I can only suggest sending to Modern Leather NYC for professional cleaning, which shouldn't cost too much.

Do you have a dryer shelf to put in your dryer for things like shoes ... Perhaps stuffing the shoes with newspaper and putting them on your dryer shelf on very very low heat ...? OR just stuffing the shoes and setting them aside until they dry may be the better option.

Thanks Indiaink! I will try that on the lining. For the shoes, great idea to stuff them. We recently moved into a new home with a washer/dryer and I've searched everywhere for the drying rack but no luck. It even has a setting for air only with the rack. Ugh.

Reactions: indiaink
Thanks Indiaink! I will try that on the lining. For the shoes, great idea to stuff them. We recently moved into a new home with a washer/dryer and I've searched everywhere for the drying rack but no luck. It even has a setting for air only with the rack. Ugh.

Do not put your shoes in the dryer

Stuff them tightly with newspaper and set them aside somewhere away from direct light and heat
Wait a few days to see if they are dry
If not restuff them with new newspaper and just let them dry out

Putting shoes in the dryer will cause shrinkage

+1 to stuffing with newspaper
And my own trick for cleaning - i use Bamboo cleaning spray for leather in particular to clean all my (pre-loved) BV bags, spray all area over and while it looks dark (it doesn't get as wet as it looks, just slightly fresh and dries very quickly) i use medium hard cloth brush, with quick and strong moves i brush it in all directions, it dries in 15-20 mins and becomes even and if any dirt, all goes away
Hope it helps :flowers:

Last edited:
Reactions: septembersiren
Took snaps quickly, here's the Bamboo cleaner and the inner pocket of my recently acquired Loop hobo, there was a light stain of the make-up, i sprayed it all over and brushed, you see the result, even and clean suede :smile:

Attachments

• IMG-20170522-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20170522-WA0001.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG-20170522-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20170522-WA0000.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 408
Do not put your shoes in the dryer

Stuff them tightly with newspaper and set them aside somewhere away from direct light and heat
Wait a few days to see if they are dry
If not restuff them with new newspaper and just let them dry out

Putting shoes in the dryer will cause shrinkage
That's why I said VERY LOW LOW heat. Just air, basically.

+1 to stuffing with newspaper
And my own trick for cleaning - i use Bamboo cleaning spray for leather in particular to clean all my (pre-loved) BV bags, spray all area over and while it looks dark (it doesn't get as wet as it looks, just slightly fresh and dries very quickly) i use medium hard cloth brush, with quick and strong moves i brush it in all directions, it dries in 15-20 mins and becomes even and if any dirt, all goes away
Hope it helps :flowers:
This is suede, though, not finished leather. Have you used this cleaner on suede?

I'm so sorry that this happened. I know you reached out here for quick response, which I think is appropriate for stains and water damage! But now that it's been some time later, if you're still concerned, do contact your SA in Boston and ask for advice. Whenever I had a question like this, my SAs would typically research the answer if they didn't have an answer upfront.

About the metallic shoes, you've received good advice here. I would avoid rubbing them or applying anything on them, but like with any wet leather shoes, stuffing to absorb moisture and retain shape is probably worthwhile, away from heat. Or use ventilated shoe trees, maybe. I have a brunito bag and an armatura card case, and my SA told me that the finish will burnish with wear, which suggests to me that the finish will simply rub off if there's wet friction. I'd probably just stuff them and wait for them to dry.

Good luck!

Reactions: missbellamama
Let us know how it goes. I'd just use a suede brush or stone and soften it up a bit. Shouldn't need more than that.

Oh, and re the shoes. Stuffing is a good idea and I put my shoes near a heating or AC vent. Not on it, but just near by so it gets the air.

Thank you for all the replies! I've stuffed the shoes and are sitting close to ac vent. Changed the paper tonight. So far, so good!

Might try a little light cleaning on my lining this weekend. I do have a nice brush I use to clean my uggs. Will also check with my SA. I think she'll be disappointed with me. [emoji13]. I'm still kicking myself for not going back to my office and putting my bag into a plastic bag and changing into tennis shoes. I was so focused on getting the kids on time and didn't have a moment to spare. But I'd gladly be late next time...[emoji30]

Thank you for all the replies! I've stuffed the shoes and are sitting close to ac vent. Changed the paper tonight. So far, so good!

Might try a little light cleaning on my lining this weekend. I do have a nice brush I use to clean my uggs. Will also check with my SA. I think she'll be disappointed with me. [emoji13]. I'm still kicking myself for not going back to my office and putting my bag into a plastic bag and changing into tennis shoes. I was so focused on getting the kids on time and didn't have a moment to spare. But I'd gladly be late next time...[emoji30]
Update, please!