Water marks on LV bag, please help!

Egebella

Nov 7, 2011
I'm looking for LV Trocadero bag and found one that I really like, but it has water marks. I didn't want to buy this model in vintage condition since the lining tends to "pill" and get "sticky" over time. The one I found is relatively new (2004) but has a lot of water (hopefully only water) marks. Any idea how to get rid of them? I won't mind if the leather gets darker in the process, I just don't like the stains :-/ I did some research and saw that many were using "magic eraser" but I will not feel comfortable doing that...any other advises?
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

From what I understand, you can't get rid of water stains; the recommendation is to wet a clean white towel, wring it out, and dampen all of the unstained leather to even it out. Good luck.

I'm looking for LV Trocadero bag and found one that I really like, but it has water marks. I didn't want to buy this model in vintage condition since the lining tends to "pill" and get "sticky" over time. The one I found is relatively new (2004) but has a lot of water (hopefully only water) marks. Any idea how to get rid of them? I won't mind if the leather gets darker in the process, I just don't like the stains :-/ I did some research and saw that many were using "magic eraser" but I will not feel comfortable doing that...any other advises?
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Monimo
Have you ever tried that? I haven't purchased this bag yet, I'm still on the fence (with both legs on the "go" side) and I would like to hear some advises before I decide to buy it. Do you think if I will wet the whole leather it will look even?
Thanks a lot for your help!

From what I understand, you can't get rid of water stains; the recommendation is to wet a clean white towel, wring it out, and dampen all of the unstained leather to even it out. Good luck.

No i dont think it will look even. If you dont want water spots dont buy it. The spots are almost impossiable to get out and you will prob not be able to even all the leather out.

Well, I'm not going to argue about it - Google it and you'll find tons of sites with the very suggestion I've offered. You'll certainly have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I tried to google it but there are tons of products, and other links not tied to products were from tPF, but all ladies advised "magic eraser". I have it at home and used once for other purposes when my toddler took a silver permanent marker and made an art on our dark stained, hardwood floor. I googled how to remove it and found advise involving "magic eraser". Well, it removed the marker, but also removed top coat and stain. The places where I used m.e. were striped to raw wood. I would be afraid to use it on the leather...
I'm looking for proven tricks or products that people successfully used and didn't damage the leather :shrugs:
Thanks!!

Magic will not help. Water stains have soaked into the leather unlike a black mark or pencil mark that sits on top of the leather and can be rubbed off. Magic earser is not really for water spots.

My opinion is that you have to accept the water marks or choose a different bag. The only way to diminish their appearance that is likely to work long term is to allow the rest of the leather to patinate darker, over time. If that time has already taken place (the bag is vintage), well, how it looks is how it will look. Vachetta does have that property of retaining water staining, it just comes with the turf of a "naked" leather. Not everyone is bothered about it...if it really bugs you, I believe you won't be very pleased even after trying to fuss with it.

I do apologize, Egebella, I was responding to the other comment.

The only solution for water spots is to use a dampened clean white cloth and wet the other leather to even it up. There are NO products that will remove the 'stain', as others have said; the water soaked into the leather and has changed it irrevocably. It's not so much of a 'stain', per se, as it is the movement of the chemicals in the leather.

The Magic Eraser trick is used on the Vachetta leather and yes, it takes a microscopic layer of leather off the top. It's used to freshen up dark Vachetta leather most commonly found on LV bags.

I tried to google it but there are tons of products, and other links not tied to products were from tPF, but all ladies advised "magic eraser". I have it at home and used once for other purposes when my toddler took a silver permanent marker and made an art on our dark stained, hardwood floor. I googled how to remove it and found advise involving "magic eraser". Well, it removed the marker, but also removed top coat and stain. The places where I used m.e. were striped to raw wood. I would be afraid to use it on the leather...
I'm looking for proven tricks or products that people successfully used and didn't damage the leather :shrugs:
Thanks!!

i'd like to know the effect of cleaning lv monogram woth he sofa leather care. thanks.

I would never use sofa or shoe leather cleaner on any of my handbags! But I have discovered LovingMyBags LV bag products and I swear by them. They don't prevent the leather from getting a patina, but they do protect the leather from absorbing skin oils. As well, they make it easier to 'erase' small marks. I have used their products on my Galliera PM, my Monty GM, and my Noe.

But I agree with previous posters, once you have old big water stains, there's not much that you can do about it but wait for the patina to disguise them.

I'd read in a number on posts that using non-alcohol baby wipes was supposed to help with water spots on the vachetta. My LV had some new water stains and I tried this theory, and to my delight, it eliminated the water stains-- it also darkened the vachetta.

I'm not sure if this method worked because the water spot/stain was new and if it would work on old water stains??

...just thought I'd give my two cents. :smile:

Reactions: Aaalicia
I used baby wipes and the water marks are still there. But my bag had no fully patina'd yet. It is starting too. Do I just leave it and wait for the leather to get darker? will the spots fade once it gets darker? Do I use some leather protectant on it as well in the meantime?