Watch vs. Classic Love?

I highly recommend the Tank Watch. Don't know how much they are priced at now. But anyone who is anyone has one. And it exudes the right professionalism and presence you need for a serious job.

The LOVE bracelet is pretty, but you have so many bracelets already. You can stack even more, but image and vibe is so different.

e1958eb396aa4893723e403d34c29a40.jpg61f1e2937baabffe3875b5eb3a23527b.jpg

Tanks are definitely a classic and good for the professional arena. Perhaps less versatile as a dressy watch than the Panthere. I think the Panthere is a good choice considering that the OP doesn't like any bulk and the Panthere is one of the lightest watches I've ever worn. Also, the budget is $8K and some of the Tank models shown in the collage above are outside of that. Angelina Jolie looks to be wearing a Louis Cartier model and the large one on the far left with black band is a Chinoise. Both are well over $8K unfortunately. The Tank Must De Cartier is lovely and well under budget however, as is the Americaine, although in the price range, both only come with a leather band which might not be the goal. I'm guessing the 2-tone almost jewelry style band of the Panthere watch was part of the appeal.

Among watch people, Cartier is one of the few "jewelry" watches that is not looked down upon, because of it's heritage.

While I like the Love bracelets, it is still just a bracelet and you already have those in your wardrobe. If what you lack is a watch you like wearing, I absolutely heartily recommend the 2-tone Panthere watch as the first thing to get from your wish list. It is so slim and lightweight yet professional. It can be dressed up or down and I think looks equally great with suits, dresses, or jeans. I tried on several Panthere watches of different sizes and I barely felt them. The watch itself is so light and the links make it flexible, that it is really quite comfortable. The Love bracelet, being stiff, I would imagine being less comfortable while you work at a keyboard and/or mouse. I never wear hard bracelets because I hate the way they dig into my wrists when I work (but I work at a computer all day).

I do wish the Panthere 2-tone was in my budget but it isn't right now. It is one of my grail watches though, so I just live vicariously through others who get it. :lol::biggrin:

While there, try the Santos as well. Very excellent watch. Might be bulky for you, but doesn't hurt to try. It's another really superb watch.
Thanks for this! I agree re: working at a keyboard all day. I only wear VCA when I work for that reason. Such great advice!

Tanks are definitely a classic and good for the professional arena. Perhaps less versatile as a dressy watch than the Panthere. I think the Panthere is a good choice considering that the OP doesn't like any bulk and the Panthere is one of the lightest watches I've ever worn. Also, the budget is $8K and some of the Tank models shown in the collage above are outside of that. Angelina Jolie looks to be wearing a Louis Cartier model and the large one on the far left with black band is a Chinoise. Both are well over $8K unfortunately. The Tank Must De Cartier is lovely and well under budget however, as is the Americaine, although in the price range, both only come with a leather band which might not be the goal. I'm guessing the 2-tone almost jewelry style band of the Panthere watch was part of the appeal.
Yes - I've always been a "jewelry watch" girl and have worn Movado bracelet styles for years before I decided to invest in something more substantial. I may look at the Rolex lady date too, but we'll see... the budget keeps rising haha

Yes - I've always been a "jewelry watch" girl and have worn Movado bracelet styles for years before I decided to invest in something more substantial. I may look at the Rolex lady date too, but we'll see... the budget keeps rising haha
In my humble and 'irrelevant to anyone else' opinion, Rolex is a little "expected" if you know what I mean. They are also going to be a little clunky and won't be anywhere near as comfortable as the Panthere. If you do think about that type of watch though, do take a look at Omega and Jaeger-Lecoultre, both of which have sub-$8K options that look great. Omega and JLC will get you a lot more comments and interesting conversations from people who know about watches. They are a more interesting, unexpected, and yet more prestigious option over Rolex. Everyone but everyone knows about Rolex. It just isn't that interesting. Omega and JLC look like you put some thought into it.

I'll put up a few pics below so you know whether it's even worth doing any research on.

My honest first thought is that you should stick with your original intention and get the Panthere. I can't imagine regretting it, especially as you prefer a light watch. Best of luck whichever you choose!

That said, here's the JLC reverso. It's a classic and a really fun, unique watch. It flips over to show a plain side that you can have engraved if you want or just leave it plain. There are metal and leather band options.

1674663532936.png1674663866859.png

Omega has more options than this in the price range, but I just captured the first row.

1674664926776.png

In my humble and 'irrelevant to anyone else' opinion, Rolex is a little "expected" if you know what I mean. They are also going to be a little clunky and won't be anywhere near as comfortable as the Panthere. If you do think about that type of watch though, do take a look at Omega and Jaeger-Lecoultre, both of which have sub-$8K options that look great. Omega and JLC will get you a lot more comments and interesting conversations from people who know about watches. They are a more interesting, unexpected, and yet more prestigious option over Rolex. Everyone but everyone knows about Rolex. It just isn't that interesting. Omega and JLC look like you put some thought into it.

I'll put up a few pics below so you know whether it's even worth doing any research on.

My honest first thought is that you should stick with your original intention and get the Panthere. I can't imagine regretting it, especially as you prefer a light watch. Best of luck whichever you choose!

That said, here's the JLC reverso. It's a classic and a really fun, unique watch. It flips over to show a plain side that you can have engraved if you want or just leave it plain. There are metal and leather band options.

View attachment 5700566View attachment 5700569

Omega has more options than this in the price range, but I just captured the first row.

View attachment 5700581
You are a saint! I am SO NEW to the fancy watch world, and am open to any suggestions. I am 100% checking all of this out! and I agree - rolex is sort of an obvious choice. I so super appreciate this insight!

Reactions: AnnaLou
A watch with smaller links is going to be quite comfortable.
The Panthere is so comfortable I wear to sleep. I’m not sure if that’s recommended but I haven’t wacked my husband in bed yet so, so far so good! :lol:

Here’s my daily stack.
4256942B-506F-4C96-88C5-2DD78078525B.jpeg

But here’s how I actually wear it. I like to read time by flipping my wrist up and away from me.
707CFD2C-FA54-49FA-ADCE-FAAD9A52A808.jpegC697C9C1-E474-4768-81AF-AB50EB5E4D74.jpeg

To me a Rolex looks plain ugly and I am proud NOT to have one in my pretty substantial collection. Cartier watches have so much style instead. Okay there are others, too, but definitely not Rolex in my eyes.
I love watches and although I have two LOVE bracelets, I only use them to accessorize.
I even really like my Apple Watch too. It keeps me fit and tracks my sleep.

IMG_3376.JPGIMG_2418.JPG
IMG_1842.jpg
IMG_4336.jpg
PS: with your bonus, you don't HAVE to spend it immediately. You can always wait until you're firm about what you really want. Or it can go towards something more expensive later down the road.

Last edited:
To your point, my luxury bag chocies have changed so much post-pandemic. It's all about form/function/what I will grab every day.

Totally agree with your point - it will likely come down to where the watch makes me swoon more than the bracelet. But I plan to purchase both this year.
Agreed on the pandemic changing everything. I am WFH now and have pared down my spending considerably, especially since I don’t get out as much these days anymore.

Since you already have nice jewelry, I’d vote for a new watch. That would look great on you, considering your profession as well.

Watch update for anyone interested in my saga - LOL.

A local jeweler sells Cartier watches and wow - the small Panthere is beautiful but it is SO TINY. Trying it on I felt like Chris Farley in the Tommy Boy scene where David Spade calls him a "fat guy in a little coat" haha. Even the medium didn't look nice on me, I was so disappointed. It was too flat - or thin, I'm not sure. I am not a petite person and I don't have small wrists, so maybe I'm in the minority or Instagram just makes everything appear so much larger... who knows.

I did fall in love with the Rolex datejust styles. I am now debating whether I want 31mm or 36mm before I purchase. Attached are photos of each (31mm left, 36mm right). I feel like watches are hard to photograph - the 31mm is definitely smaller and daintier. I'm leaning 31mm just given those are the sizes of watches I've always worn previously. I think I will finalize my choice next weekend when I go back to the store with one of my oldest girlfriends (who always sets me straight).

The love is still on my wish list - just pushed back to later this year! Thanks all for everyone's help.

rolex.jpg

A local jeweler sells Cartier watches and wow - the small Panthere is beautiful but it is SO TINY. Trying it on I felt like Chris Farley in the Tommy Boy scene where David Spade calls him a "fat guy in a little coat" haha. Even the medium didn't look nice on me, I was so disappointed. It was too flat - or thin, I'm not sure. I am not a petite person and I don't have small wrists, so maybe I'm in the minority or Instagram just makes everything appear so much larger... who knows.

I did fall in love with the Rolex datejust styles. I am now debating whether I want 31mm or 36mm before I purchase. Attached are photos of each (31mm left, 36mm right). I feel like watches are hard to photograph - the 31mm is definitely smaller and daintier. I'm leaning 31mm just given those are the sizes of watches I've always worn previously. I think I will finalize my choice next weekend when I go back to the store with one of my oldest girlfriends (who always sets me straight).

The love is still on my wish list - just pushed back to later this year! Thanks all for everyone's help.

View attachment 5703526
I know people have said they don't like the Rolex, but tbh it's a classic. I also have the Datejust and I absolutely love it. I wear it everyday and it's so comfortable. I have the 36mm, because I also don't have small, petite wrists, so the 36mm looks better on me. I have a 1966 vintage Rolex that's a 34mm, and it just seems too small to me, so I never wear it, unfortunately.

Go for the Rolex! You can't go wrong. Good luck with your decision.

Reactions: Fashion412
I'm a total watch geek---I have maybe 15 new and vintage. I think you cannot go wrong with the JLC Reverso or the Cartier Tank Americaine. The Rolex Lady Datejust is nice, but, I dunno----it just feels like everybody has one. The JLC Reverso Classic Small with a quartz movement is well inside your budget, you can have the reverse engraved to make it personal, and it's a really classy piece you'll wear forever and hand down.

If you end up with the Rolex, get the larger one. It's so boss! :smile:

Reactions: Fashion412

View attachment 5703526
Did you try the Cartier Santos? It's a gorgeous, classy watch and less typical than a Rolex.