Watch out for HauteLook's return policy

jediprincess

Feb 11, 2012
Here's what on their website:

HauteLook gladly accepts returns on apparel, footwear and accessories within 21 days from the time your order is shipped. Returns received after 21 days may be accepted at HauteLook's discretion and will be subject to a restocking fee of 50% of the returned item's sale price.

The reason I posted it is I was just charged almost $100 for 2 shoes that I returned late.

I don't reside in the US, so I usually have my US online purchases shipped to buffalo and go there to pick them up. Therefore it takes me longer to return items that don't fit.

Gilt, Rue La La, and ideeli all are pretty nice to their customers and are not being so strict about the return time; and I didn't expect that HauteLook actually charged me 50% of the sale prices of my returned items as restocking fees. Fine, the return policy is clearly stated, and I can't argue about it; but in their emails to me about the return, they did not mention a single word about the restocking fees. They simply said that my return was approved, and $xxx was refunded or credited to my account. Maybe it's just me. I usually trust that it's the right amount, so I don't bother to check.

Anyway, I emailed HauteLook when I found out this outrageous 50% restocking fees that I was charged in silence for my return. I also requested to change all my recent returns from Credit to my HauteLook account to Refund to original method of payment because I will not shop on HauteLook anymore.

The person who replied my email did not address my concern of the 50% restocking fees and how it was not mentioned in the emails they sent me when they accepted my return. She simply said she had refunded all my returns to my credit card as requested.

I honestly feel that they don't care about their customers at all. It reminded me how they once replied a customer with "maam we have 6 million members", and how they didn't really read your emails.

http://forum.purseblog.com/general-...ll-need-some-advice-here-before-i-704943.html

http://forum.purseblog.com/general-shopping/hautelook-customer-service-528015.html

http://forum.purseblog.com/handbags-and-purses/hautelook-rant-446382.html

To me, I'm totally done with HauteLook. To others who still love them, good luck! I saw a number of horrible stories about them on tpf before, but I still shopped there because I believe no one is perfect; no one company makes no mistake. But now I've experienced how unfriendly their customer service is. I don't think I want to have anything to do with them anymore. From the way they replied my email and from what I read on tpf, I don't think they care about their customers at all.

Well you're right--you can't get mad at them about their well stated policy. I've been shopping with them a long time and did know about the restocking fee--I don't shop a site until I read the return policy so I know what I'm getting into. That said, it is a bit severe compared to other sites.

You should also check to make sure that when they converted your credit to a refund that you weren't charged the return shipping fees from those returns. If you had selected a refund over credit originally then you would've been.

You should take the advice of the threads you posted and call their customer service or at the very least-live chat. If you explain the special circumstances and that you didn't know etc I would bet they will give you a one time courtesy. Never ever rely on email for something like this.

Personally, I have had the best experience with them over all the flash sale sites I shop in terms of getting what I order and good customer service. Over the years, I've received the wrong item twice and been short shipped twice- and we're talking since the beginning of the site and MANY orders so that's pretty good in my book. My only issues I've ever had with them is that my refunds are not always issued promptly but I have no trouble getting that fixed with customer service.