Washington Post article on Coach/Reed Krakoff

Yes funny how 6 years later when its his own line he has no problem ripping us all a new one...cha ching!

Like you said, this article is 6 years old and is dated in a lot of ways. Coach is trying to increase the price of a lot of their bags, and Reed Krakoff's line, which is owned by Coach engages in many if not all of the practices he disses in this article. :P

In my opinion Coach is having an identity crisis, and maybe that is coming from Reed Krakoff. (who knows) Coach can't seem to decide if it wants to be a luxury brand (it will need a lot of work and re-imaging to become this), a value brand (ie moving many of the FP lines to the outlet at much lower price points), or a clothing brand. (they are introducing clothing lines now).

I am buy my discontinued faves on ebay, and buying very selectively at the FP stores and for the most part watching from the sidelines until Coach figures out what they want to be when they grow up. :P

Like you said, this article is 6 years old and is dated in a lot of ways. Coach is trying to increase the price of a lot of their bags, and Reed Krakoff's line, which is owned by Coach engages in many if not all of the practices he disses in this article. :P

In my opinion Coach is having an identity crisis, and maybe that is coming from Reed Krakoff. (who knows) Coach can't seem to decide if it wants to be a luxury brand (it will need a lot of work and re-imaging to become this), a value brand (ie moving many of the FP lines to the outlet at much lower price points), or a clothing brand. (they are introducing clothing lines now).

I am buy my discontinued faves on ebay, and buying very selectively at the FP stores and for the most part watching from the sidelines until Coach figures out what they want to be when they grow up. :P
totally agree about the identity crisis. they aren't going to be a luxury brand. they (imo) missed the boat on that. i think because they are 'affordable luxury' they are a nitch category and the best thing they could do is stick with it. they make a LOT of money from their outlets (which is where the affordable luxury starts. we are still in a recession...its not the time to decide to slam the door on a huge client base and become a different brand) however, it does beg the question.. how long can a 'nitch' category really last. they need to get creative designers and start working on the product and make something truly unique again, they have a strong fan base. on a side note, i googled the reed krakoff designs and wasn't very impressed (especially with his clothes - good gats, yuck) i really had a hard time finding anything positive to say about any of it : /

totally agree about the identity crisis. they aren't going to be a luxury brand. they (imo) missed the boat on that. i think because they are 'affordable luxury' they are a nitch category and the best thing they could do is stick with it. they make a LOT of money from their outlets (which is where the affordable luxury starts. we are still in a recession...its not the time to decide to slam the door on a huge client base and become a different brand) however, it does beg the question.. how long can a 'nitch' category really last. they need to get creative designers and start working on the product and make something truly unique again, they have a strong fan base. on a side note, i googled the reed krakoff designs and wasn't very impressed (especially with his clothes - good gats, yuck) i really had a hard time finding anything positive to say about any of it : /

I agree that coach is not a luxury brand. It is a consumer brand that aspires to luxury. But....if they keep their designs updated and fresh they can maintain a niche for awhile.

The more they sell at the outlets, the more the outlet price point becomes their main price point and segment of the market. At some point people who want exclusivity, and quality will leave the brand. I still feel the higher end coach bags, (pinnacle line for example) when purchased on sale or at the outlet are a good value for the price.

Reed Krakoff is suffering from the same identity crisis as Coach in my opinion. A lot of his bags look like slightly more upscale Coach bags, but the price points are triple the price points of Coach bags. His clothes are copies of Balenciaga and Prada and other designers that have clean, military lines to their clothes and a minimalist vibe.

I really love my Kristin pinnacles and sages and love the fact that I can afford more of them than the other premier designer brands I buy (balenciaga mostly). :cool:

The more they sell at the outlets, the more the outlet price point becomes their main price point and segment of the market. At some point people who want exclusivity, and quality will leave the brand.

yes, its bizarre...coach is getting a liz claiborne vibe now...its too accessable. its too everywhere. i love it/ i hate it...i can't complain if i'm part of the problem ;) i can't afford luxury brands and truth be told, if i could - i wouldn't buy. i'm notoriously cheap. lol. i have my one vice, and its expensive (to me) quality purses....i want them to be exclusive, cuz thats part of my vice...but if they scaled back the number of outlets, upped their price point...i would go from 1 or 2 purses a year...to 1 every 5 years....and thats sad. :sad: if they became a true luxury brand. i would never own another coach. i have never bought a LV. I never would. I have no problem with what other people do with their money..but i just got Reed K catalog sent to my email...i glance through it - $990 for a gym bag...gimme a break. never EVER.

I believe Krakoff was the designer for the Michelle *****'s inauguration dress. Perhaps their success with the clothing line is the reason Coach has planned this strategy as well?

I believe Krakoff was the designer for the Michelle *****'s inauguration dress. Perhaps their success with the clothing line is the reason Coach has planned this strategy as well?

I read that Krakoff did Michelle *****'s inauguration dress as well. :smile:

In my opinion adding a clothing line to a bag and shoe line can go in two directions: They can aim for an upscale boutique like Gucci or Fendi, or they can end up as a mainstream brand like Liz Claiborne or Guess.

I am betting on the latter, but hope they create a solid niche for themselves between the two extremes.

But Krakoff could not take a customer list with him if they sold so bingo looks like they found a way to take the customer base with them and not stealing it as intellectual property which a customer list can be considered a trade secret.