Washington Post article on Coach/Reed Krakoff

ronsdiva

NE Born OH Bred
O.G.
Jul 6, 2007
There is a really interesting article in todays Washington Post. It is about Coach and its evolution from staid preppy bags to is current position as pre-designer bags and accessories. It points out some of the issues we have discussed in the Coach forum re: Coach being a good value for some and an affordable luxury for others. It also give some insight into the background and philosophy of Reed Krakoff, Coach's creative director. Enjoy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/02/AR2007090201354.html

Thanks for sharing this article! I love his concepts and how he's able to marry classic lines with affordability (although some of these recent pricier bags might be the exception!). I also think his comment about $9,000 bags was right on.

He sniffs with skepticism at labels, particularly European ones, that put a price tag of almost $2,000 on a handbag. "Knowing what it costs to make a bag -- " he begins. And then pauses. Disgusted. Some of the cost is based on status, some of it is because of small-scale production. "But we use the same raw materials," he says. He firmly believes that Coach is a luxury brand.

"Luxury is personal," he says. "It's old-fashioned to think that it has to be made a certain way." Or in a certain country. Or by unionized labor.

Luxury is not related to hand-sewing, he says, or a label that says "Made in Italy." "Truthfully, I look at a lot of bags, and it's not where it's made but who makes it. I think the European brands have been pushing that because it's the only way to justify $9,000 for a bag."

For some reason, this was my favorite part....

There is a really interesting article in todays Washington Post. It is about Coach and its evolution from staid preppy bags to is current position as pre-designer bags and accessories. It points out some of the issues we have discussed in the Coach forum re: Coach being a good value for some and an affordable luxury for others. It also give some insight into the background and philosophy of Reed Krakoff, Coach's creative director. Enjoy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/02/AR2007090201354.html
I was taking a peek at Coach's stock today and noticed a name on their board....Reed Krakoff. Fascinating info I'm the article referenced, even if it is dated. Glad I found it!

I was taking a peek at Coach's stock today and noticed a name on their board....Reed Krakoff. Fascinating info I'm the article referenced, even if it is dated. Glad I found it!
this is all new info to me (and since the article is from 2007, i'm really outta the loop) so i googled reed krakoff and see that he is now an independent line...and the first tote is $4k...so i guess he got over his disgust of the overpriced purses that start at (gasp) $1000. LOL. It was made of python (um gross) but the majority of his handbags were over $1k and the cheapest i saw was $700.

i found that interesting. smh