Washing "Dry Clean Only" by hand?

I have used a dry cleaning kit at home and they work wonders. I would recommend using one. I can't remember the name of the one I use, but they have great kits at local stores. It saves me time (more wear) and money by using those kits in between dry cleaning.

I have used a dry cleaning kit at home and they work wonders. I would recommend using one. I can't remember the name of the one I use, but they have great kits at local stores. It saves me time (more wear) and money by using those kits in between dry cleaning.

Do you mean the Dryel kit? I've seen one more but now that name escapes me.

I handwash almost everything that says to dry clean only. The exception is anything that is lined. This is because materials, particularly natural and man-made, dry at different rates. It is the drying process where most of the irreparable problems occur.

Oh, well, let's face it. When I say "handwash" I mean I put it in a mesh laundry bag and put it in the washing machine. Yep. I use Johnson's baby shampoo. Then I air dry the garments--make sure they are dried flat.

If I am concerned about bleeding, I will handwash them in the sink. Use cold water. The caveat to this is that if the garments are bright colors there may be color run. If I had to clean such a garment, I would consult with an Hermes group to which I belong, because many women prefer to handwash their scarves, and they have a nearly fool-proof method for doing so.

Blends of synthetic materials are the hardest, of course, and should probably be dry-cleaned. The fact that some material just shouldn't get wet is probably true, and reason for me not to buy the garment. Once, the perspiration from my body caused the garment to bleed right onto my torso (a velvet top from Lord & Taylor). If I suspect a garment is that fickle, I won't buy it in the first place.

Very good advice!

I also handwash everything that says "Dry Clean Only" unless it is wool and lined.

I've heard it's common--like PaperTiger says--for manufacturers to slap "Dry Clean Only" labels on all their garments to protect themselves from customer complaints, and also (heard this on some news show) thanks to generous kick-backs from the dry-cleaning industry.

I try to avoid buying garments that are labeled "Dry Clean Only" for no apparent good reason. It's been my experience that if the garment shrinks at the dry-cleaners (as garments often do) when you take it back to the store they will blame the dry-cleaner and refuse a refund or exchange. On the other hand if you hand-wash it and it shrinks (when you think it's been labeled "Dry Clean Only" for no good reason) when you return it to the store they will not only refuse a refund but scold you. You just can't win with these garments.

I handwash almost all dryclean only items, except jackets, coats, and expensive wool/cashmere items.
Sometimes I ruined my clothes by handwashing, but I just can't bring myself to pay $15 per wash if the piece itself didn't cost $100+

Do you mean the Dryel kit? I've seen one more but now that name escapes me.

The kit that I use looks like regular dryer sheets. I'm not sure of the name,but I know the box is blue with yellow. It is not dryel, it doesn't come with a bag. I may try that one out next time! You can put up to 6 garments of similar material and colors in the dryer. You then put one of the dryer sheets in the dryer and turn on low heat for approximately 30 minutes. It works well to get my clothes smelling fresh. I do this in between regular dry cleaning.

I used to go to dry cleaners for all my dry clean only clothes, but I read about the chemical they use for dry clean is harmful to your body and may cause cancer, and also it's bad for the environment. Now I only hand wash all my clothes, as for jackets and coats...I don't really know what to do, I just hang them under the sun.

I personally handwash a lot of things that say dry clean only. I have handwashed silk cashmere sweaters and they're ok. I did have problems with a wool jcrew sweater, it shrunk badly. I tried handwashing a vintage oscar de la renta blazer and the lining came unpressed, so i stitched it in place.

my mom taught me something - you can lay a damp tower on top of the cashmere or wool sweater...this way the towel will absorb the "dirt...mostly sweat or dead skin"..it's mostly just to make the garment last a little longer and cleaner without actually have to wash it.

It's risky but I once machine washed a wool coat and it turned out perfectly. For fine silks, I handwash in cold water.

It really depends on the fit, shape and the detail of the garment. I would'nt try it with anything that has sequins or intricate pleats.

The pants I want to try hand washing are a blend of viscose and elastane. Sounds like it would not be a good idea to hand wash? The other pants that I did wash were cotton and lycra, I believe so I totally thought they would be fine hand washed. Maybe I will try those dryer sheets. Anyone had problems with those? Thanks again!

never ever wash anything that is lined, or that has more than one type of fabric in it. i design nightwear, and most of the garments i design are labeled dry clean only and i would *not* recommend anyone to hand wash them. fibers have different shrinkage rates, and if it's lined, there's also a possibility that there may be interfacing between the fabric & lining. the different rates of shrinkage can become a big problem if you hand wash items that should be dry cleaned.