Workplace Was approached about a position months ago, but still no word from the company

Rimma13

Live with no regrets
O.G.
Jun 27, 2008
Hi all!

So, this is sort of a long story, but hopefully you'll be able to give me some good advice! In April of last year I received an email from a company who said they heard good things from me from mutual contacts and he wanted to know if I was interested in interviewing for a position. He sent the email to my work email, which I'm pretty sure is monitored. Being the genius that I am, I responded through my work email, instead of taking the conversation to a personal email account.

Nevertheless, that day, I had a phone interview with one of the top executives.

He said that I sounded like a good fit and that he would contact be later that week. However, I didn't hear back from him. I began to worry that my boss saw the email (my boss is kind of paranoid).

I waited a week and called the executive who emailed me to inquire if the position was still available and told him that I was still very much interested. He told me that they were still looking at other prospects and that he would get back to me.

Fast forward to August, he emailed me. At that point, I was very surprised because I figured I just did not get the job.

At that point, I asked to take our conversation to my personal email since our work emails might be monitored. He asked me to come in to interview and I did. Three times. With him and his two bosses.

Furthermore, my references contacted me to let me know that the employers contacted them and were very pleased with me.

However, two weeks after my final interview with them I got an email from the first executive who told me that the company got a new CEO and all budget approvals for new employees had to go through them. He apologized for the inconvenience, but told me he would keep me informed when they received the budget approval.

From there, some time had passed on - I would say it was September or October at that point. I finally emailed him again and said that I'm still very much interested in the job, however, I was getting offers from other companies (mind you I really wasn't, but wanted to see if that would help get the ball rolling).

He apologized again for all the back-and-forth and said they were still waiting for the CEO's approval. He also said to please email him before I take any job offers and he would try to fast track the budget process. That was our last correspondence.

Obviously, some time has passed now.

I'm very inclined to email him again, but I'm not sure if it's too late. I'm very frustrated at my current job and really would like a new work opportunity.

Should I email the executive and ask if the job is still available? Or should I forget about it?

I don't think it could hurt, but I think I would phrase it more casually, like more of an update on company status than a job ping. KWTM?

Thanks Bitty!

Maybe something like this?

Hi _____,

I hope all is well! I know it's been a while, but I just wanted to check and see if there were any budget updates. Please let me know.

Best,
Rimma

Thanks Bitty!

Maybe something like this?

Hi _____,

I hope all is well! I know it's been a while, but I just wanted to check and see if there were any budget updates. Please let me know.

Best,
Rimma

Hm....

Maybe:

Hi, ________:

When last we spoke we had discussed that the position I had interviewed for was put on hold due to budget issues. Has there been any movement in that regard or have there been any requisition changes?

Hope you're doing well!

Best,

Rimma

Something like this happened to me awhile ago after 5 interviews! Turns out the company didn't hire anyone and ended up laying people off. So I dodged a bullet. Ask for an update but for me a process that is moving like that is a red flag.