Arts & Crafts warped OLFA cutting mat

rainrowan

where's my bag?!
O.G.
Apr 25, 2006
I left my rotary cutting mat laying against a window and the sun's warped it.

It's rippled in 3 or 4 spots. Is there any way I can flatten it again? I've tried placing heavy books on it, but it hasn't worked.

My last resort is possibly gluing it to a panel of wood.... any suggestions?

ILuvShopping

★☆★★☆★★☆★
Jun 4, 2007
Iowa
i'm not familiar with rotary cutting mats but sounds as if the sun warmed it up and then now that it's cooled its' stuck in that spot. not sure if there's a way to warm it up again and then flatten it with something as it cools?

kymmie

superficial quirk
O.G.
Jan 28, 2006
Texas
^ that makes sense. I ruined mine by setting a glue gun on top of it so I just cut it into smaller mats.

ILuvShopping

★☆★★☆★★☆★
Jun 4, 2007
Iowa
since this popped back up - not sure if this would work - but i was at a tupperware party last night and they said that if your lids don't fit or theyre warped that you can put them under REALLY hot water for awhile and then put the lid back on the container and let it cool/dry and it will fit again.

perhaps the same will work for the mat? Heat it up under water and then lay something on top of it while it cools.

rainrowan

where's my bag?!
O.G.
Apr 25, 2006
Thanks for the suggestions!

The mat in question is at least 30" wide -- I am starting to think it's too much trouble to try to flatten the whole thing... I'm going to try one section one more time with hot water or hair blower on hot, and see how that goes...

Cutting it up into smaller manageable sizes seems like the best solution. I can always use it for smaller crafting.