*WARNING* Remove old addresses from Paypal account!

*Heather*

TIME OUT
Aug 9, 2009
I recently purchased an item on ebay, paid with Paypal (with confirmed shipping address on the Paypal details page). 11 days go by, so I email seller as to where my item was. She gives me a tracking number, but when I look it up, it was delivered to an old address I used to live at years ago in a different state. Seller was a bit rude when I asked why she didn't mail my item to the Paypal address...and said she got the address from ebay.
I opened a claim, and it was immediately ruled in seller's favor. I appealed. Spoke to a rep. who said as long as it was an active address in my Paypal profile, it is hard for them to dispute. WTH? I thought all I needed was to show the zip code in the confirmed Paypal address was different from the zip code on the tracking. What a bunch of crap...I finally got the rep. to 'work' with me, and she said she'll have the money back in my account in 2 days...we'll see. In the meantime, be aware that this can happen. Buyer protection my butt.

I recently purchased an item on ebay, paid with Paypal (with confirmed shipping address on the Paypal details page). 11 days go by, so I email seller as to where my item was. She gives me a tracking number, but when I look it up, it was delivered to an old address I used to live at years ago in a different state. Seller was a bit rude when I asked why she didn't mail my item to the Paypal address...and said she got the address from ebay.
I opened a claim, and it was immediately ruled in seller's favor. I appealed. Spoke to a rep. who said as long as it was an active address in my Paypal profile, it is hard for them to dispute. WTH? I thought all I needed was to show the zip code in the confirmed Paypal address was different from the zip code on the tracking. What a bunch of crap...I finally got the rep. to 'work' with me, and she said she'll have the money back in my account in 2 days...we'll see. In the meantime, be aware that this can happen. Buyer protection my butt.

I had this exact thing happen to me! The paypal receipt showed that it was supposed to be sent to my current address, I called paypal and they told me they had no idea how the seller got my old address or why they would have sent it to that one since it was not listed anywhere in the transaction on both the eBay and paypal ends of it. The seller was also incredibly rude to me when I emailed to ask her where my item was and reluctantly gave me the tracking number and demanded I give her more money to reship it if it was returned to her. She also refused to tell me where she had gotten my old address from. Luckily my old mail carrier remembered I had moved and had it forwarded to my new address, I still ended up having to pay the post office money though because of the forwarding.

I'm confused. When you go to check out, there is a default address, but you can change the shipping address to any other confirmed address. You also have an opportunity to review it, along with your chosen payment method, before you hit the Pay button. The shipping address is also on the email Paypal sends you to confirm your payment. So, my question is, at what point in this system of checks and balances did this old address become your chosen shipping address? This is very odd.

Sorry that happened but definitely DON'T STOP FIGHTING eBAY! And thank you for the information - I immediately signed in to my Paypal account and updated everything.

I'm confused. When you go to check out, there is a default address, but you can change the shipping address to any other confirmed address. You also have an opportunity to review it, along with your chosen payment method, before you hit the Pay button. The shipping address is also on the email Paypal sends you to confirm your payment. So, my question is, at what point in this system of checks and balances did this old address become your chosen shipping address? This is very odd.

Odd indeed, since I take great care to insure my shipping address is the correct one every time I check out. I have several cards with several different billing addresses linked to Paypal, and every now and then, it will switch to a different one in the default address section. But I ALWAYS change it to my home address. This seller did not print the label through Paypal since it didn't generate a tracking number, I am assuming. I am not sure why she got the address from ebay, and not Paypal. You'd think with 8,000+ feedback, they would understand this.

This is a glitch in the Ebay and Pay Pal system that has been around for about 3 years - and both have claimed (repeatedly) that they have resolved the issue.

There were threads all over the Ebay boards about this and Pay Pal was refunding buyers for items that were sent to the wrong address and refunding sellers who had chargebacks issued against them.

This is now a more serious issue for buyers because of changes Ebay has announced to the buyer protection program that are going into effect soon. If a package is forwarded to a second address there is NO buyer protection.

So Pay Pal/Ebay screws up, gives out an old address for a buyer, it gets forwarded and the buyer has no protection due to Pay Pal/Ebay's screw up.

I would fight like the dickens if this happened to me and they didn't reimburse me.

^^^Wow, never knew about this. I automatically assumed all seller's ship to your Paypal payment shipping address. I guess I will have to remind seller to do so from now on.

What they have advised on the boards is to send an email to your seller confirming your current, verified shipping address on file with Pay Pal ... I always do that after payment,

"Dear Seller,

hi I'm the winning bidder of xxxxx and I've paid through Pay Pal. Just for ease of convenience, my confirmed shipping address on file with Pay Pal is:

xxxx
xxxx
xxxx

Regards, Buyer"

I have a form letter I send. As a seller I do the same thing, but in reverse, "I'm shipping to your confirmed Pay Pal address of xxxx .. please advise if there are any changes."

What they have advised on the boards is to send an email to your seller confirming your current, verified shipping address on file with Pay Pal ... I always do that after payment,

"Dear Seller,

hi I'm the winning bidder of xxxxx and I've paid through Pay Pal. Just for ease of convenience, my confirmed shipping address on file with Pay Pal is:

xxxx
xxxx
xxxx

Regards, Buyer"

I have a form letter I send. As a seller I do the same thing, but in reverse, "I'm shipping to your confirmed Pay Pal address of xxxx .. please advise if there are any changes."
Apricot, does this mean that PP or Ebay would support you if the buyer claimed you sent it the wrong place even if you confirmed or messaged them a confirmation message that included the shipping info they provided to you? Just curious, wanted to know if you get protection for "checking first" or it's just something you do as a seller.

The confirmation is just something I send because I don't trust Pay Pal since the glitch has been around forever.

If you confirm and the buyer responds the address is ok - and it's an old one - you're still going to have to fight with Pay Pal to admit their mistake and give you the money back (if the item is lost).

However by asking the buyer to confirm I figure I'm reducing the chances that the address will be the wrong one. KWIM?

Yes, everytime after I made a payment, I sent my seller an e-mail said please ship to the address with Paypal, which is such such. Just wanted to make sure, as I was aware of this glitch with eBay/Paypal. Or when I am a seller I e-mailed my buyer that I will ship it to his/her address with Paypal which is such such-to re-confirmed that was the right address.

I had this happen. My paypal address was current and I told the seller to ship to the address on my paypal account. Unfortunately, my ebay account had my old address and she got hold of it. She shipped to the old address although when I paid via paypal I selected the current address. Moral of the story: Update all of your account information on all of your accounts!

yes...i believe it's the glitch on pp...i had to update my address a couple of times for it to show properly. so i actually deleted my old address on pp. and when pp sent the receipt...the shipping address always there...i always double check b/c of the address didn't reflect the change.