Warning Label on Seche Vite Top Coat!

Jun 24, 2006
So, I was watching a youtube video... and somebody posted in the comments section about there being a warning label on the back of the Seche Vite Top Coat. Well, I went to look at my bottle... and sure enough it's there.

It says:

"WARNING! This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause birth defects or reproductive harm."

Um, WHAT!? :tdown::wtf:

Further investigation lead me to discover that the nail polish is using "toluene" -- which can be absorbed through the skin. It also contains formaldehyde (a.k.a. the chemical used in EMBALMING FLUID.)

I am throwing my bottle away TODAY. And, switching to one of the brands that is known NOT to use the "big 3" chemicals. (Good ones are... OPI, Sally Hansen, Orly, and Zoya.)

Attachments

• sechevite.jpg
    sechevite.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 10,945
Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. I use mine sparingly because most of the time I use zoya polish and seche and zoya don't go well together. I'm trying to transfer my collection into mostly zoya!

So, I was watching a youtube video... and somebody posted in the comments section about there being a warning label on the back of the Seche Vite Top Coat. Well, I went to look at my bottle... and sure enough it's there.

It says:

"WARNING! This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause birth defects or reproductive harm."

Um, WHAT!? :tdown::wtf:

Further investigation lead me to discover that the nail polish is using "toluene" -- which can be absorbed through the skin. It also contains formaldehyde (a.k.a. the chemical used in EMBALMING FLUID.)

I am throwing my bottle away TODAY. And, switching to one of the brands that is known NOT to use the "big 3" chemicals. (Good ones are... OPI, Sally Hansen, Orly, and Zoya.)

It's called a Proposition 65 warning, but I think you might be overreacting a bit . . . even the California State OEHHA website says " The fact that a product bears a Proposition 65 warning does not mean by itself that the product is unsafe. You could think of Proposition 65 more as a “right to know” law than a pure product safety law."

In fact, there's a sign posted to the same effect in every gas station, dry cleaner and dental office in California, among other businesses, so it's actually rather common - no need for panic (^(oo)^)v

You'd have to inhale a lot of toluene to get toluene poisoning, just FYI. They just have to put that warning label on there in case someone decides to be stupid.

There are so many things that can cause birth defects or some sort of health issue, but they're usually in trace amounts. The warning label is to protect manufacturers' butts.

I'd take it with a grain of salt... I mean, chlorine is added to water to kill bacteria, and chloroform is formed as a byproduct. Are you going to stop using water because there are trace amounts of chloroform in it? Are you going to stop eating fish because it contains mercury? Are you going to move because your air is too polluted? Are you not going to get x-rays because it's radiation? Are you not going to walk outside because the sun damages your skin?

Last edited:
Formaldehyde is known to cause cancer! For lab, the animals that need to be dissected come in a formaldehyde plastics case and it says when your opening this, you are aware that formaldehyde is a cancer causing agent. Toulene is not as bad as formaldehyde, we used it in orgo lab and the smell is like petroleum gas. I know in Cali, they expect warning labels on everything, so its good that you noticed! Now throw that $**t out immediately!

Last edited:
Formaldehyde is known to cause cancer! For lab, the animals that need to be dissected come in a formaldehyde plastics case and it says when your opening this, you are aware that formaldehyde is a cancer causing agent. Toulene is not as bad as formaldehyde, we used it in orgo lab and the smell is like petroleum gas. I know in Cali, they expect warning labels on everything, so its good that you noticed! Now throw that $**t out immediately!

The sun can cause cancer too. Don't walk outside.

Not trying to be mean or rude, but there are so many worse things that you're exposed to on a daily basis than a bottle of nail polish with trace amounts of toluene or formaldehyde in it.

Some people are wayyy too scared.
I never expected any nail polish to be free of weird chemical stuff because, quite frankly, nail polish is weird stuff. It's like a chemical layer you put on top of your nails!

Not trying to be mean or rude, but there are so many worse things that you're exposed to on a daily basis than a bottle of nail polish with trace amounts of toluene or formaldehyde in it.

I know the sun can skin cause cancer, but OP also said the product contains formaldehyde. The sun isn't always out and isn't on your skin or nails. And some sun is good cause it provides vitamin D. Formaldehyde is a chemical agent that is known to cause cancer. If the OP were to apply her nail polish everyday or have it on her nails for a long period of time, its getting into her body over time. I'm with the OP.

As much as I find many warning labels to be ludicrous (so many are common sense, like caution fire may burn), it is nice to know the contents of a product so you can make an informed decision.

That said, I personally have made the decision to use Seche Vite as I don't ingest it or place it directly on the skin so I have decided my internal exposure is minimal to none.

I ride a motorcycle, I drink, I use Seche Vite . . . what can I say? Little piggies like living on the edge! (^(oo)~)