WARNING: Be Careful with Google Ads!

jenaywins

O.G.
Dec 27, 2009
When searching for a particular style today via Google, I came across some very odd banner ads toward the top of the page where the paid search results are. I've included a screen shot of a few, but these ads make it appear as if you are clicking on reputable resellers' sites - bergdorfgoodman.com being one of them. You are then redirected to a replica site. I have reported these ads to Google Adsense, but I wanted to throw a general word of caution out there... These sites are NOT legit. Beware!

FAKEAD1.jpg

yazziestarr

Apr 7, 2009
I saw that today too! I tried clicking the BG to see if it would take me to a fake site just to see what was up because it looked off and it didnt take me anywhere...I guess my comp blocked it. one is even christianlouboutin.com
How do you report?

jenaywins

O.G.
Dec 27, 2009
Thanks for the heads up! I wonder how the scammers managed that... you'd think Google would only allow links to direct to where they say they're going.

Setting up a Google Adsense account is cake, and the nuances of creating paid search/contextual ads allow for the redirection to basically any URL. I won't go into boring details, but it's definitely possible. Basically, Google cannot monitor every single paid search ad, or even organic search terms, that exists, KWIM? We are talking in the *billions.*

aoqtpi

Nov 24, 2010
Setting up a Google Adsense account is cake, and the nuances of creating paid search/contextual ads allow for the redirection to basically any URL. I won't go into boring details, but it's definitely possible. Basically, Google cannot monitor every single paid search ad, or even organic search terms, that exists, KWIM? We are talking in the *billions.*

You educate me so much :biggrin: I thought the URL displayed in the ad and the URL to which you are directed would have to be the same; thanks for clearing that up!