Warning about vachetta & hand sanitizers

yikesss! i'm a hand sanitizer frequent user. that's sooo scary. it hasn't damage my gucci and burberry bags. that's more reason for me to stay away from vachetta and stick with the damier ebene line

Makes sense. Good thing I never use that stuff. I haven't had a cold in two years.

Me either and I can't remember last time I was sick with a cold or virus. Anything you put on your hands will definitely affect the leather on your bags. If you do use the sanitizer, maybe an idea is to wrap LV scarves around your Speedy handles as I've seen other TPF'ers do. Very pretty!!

Yep that's very wise. I learned the hard way with hand sanitiser, on one of my Coach bags. I watched in horror as one LITTLE drop ate through the coating and straight into the cherry leather *yelp* :faint:. I took it to a leather repairer for some love and it has recovered somewhat...

Lesson learned for all my other bags immediately - bags and hand sanitiser rarely mix well!

This is how I ruined my first speedy. Although it was damier the hand sanitizer I used (from B&BW) it caused my handles to PEEL! It was horrible!

The SA at my boutique were kind enough to exchange the bag for me.. It was about a month old. (:

This is why when I use my speedy (handheld) or use my neverfull (shoulder) I am extra careful with what kind of lotions I put on my hand with the speedy. For neverfull I just make sure my hands are completely dry before touching it at all.

yes, alcohol dries things out -- i have read on other threads that perfume and sunscreen may do the same for similar reasons. just make sure your skin is dry before touching. actually an SA told me about perfume because i asked her if my damier ebene handles will peel or not after reading some other threads on this.

Last edited:
Me either and I can't remember last time I was sick with a cold or virus. Anything you put on your hands will definitely affect the leather on your bags. If you do use the sanitizer, maybe an idea is to wrap LV scarves around your Speedy handles as I've seen other TPF'ers do. Very pretty!!
i was thinking the same thing about wrapping a scarf just in case my hands cannot touch the handles directly, great idea.

yes, alcohol dries things out -- i have read on other threads that perfume and sunscreen may do the same for similar reasons. just make sure your skin is dry before touching. actually an SA told me about perfume because i asked her if my damier ebene handles will peel or not after reading some other threads on this.

Sunscreen?! But I reapply sunscreen like a madwoman in the summertime... :-s

yup this is very true!
i touched my bag with had sanitizer and i swear it's the same area that "feels wierd" on my bag ...either way i have given tht one to my mom and i have a new one with fresh vachetta ...ahhhh!