Wanted: Your 2cents Please

Just wondering about the make of the mono speedies. Is there seriously a difference in quality? I also read somewhere in the forum that there are different sheens to the mono canvas depending on the batch - is this true?

I came across southerncharm's post in the Shopping thread:
"The speedy is made in France, U.S., and Spain. Some do not care where the bag is made; however since it would be your first bag (and you tell them this at LV) than you should get one made in France. Between you and me though, I have noticed a difference the past 2 years, where I think the items made in France are made superior to the U.S. items. It did not use to be this way but there have been some quality issues with a couple of U.S. made items that I have come across recently. Important, when you do buy your speedy, make sure they provide you a LV gift box and a sleeper bag that is large enough to store the speedy unfolded. I say this, for otherwise, they may provide a sleeper cover that is small and can only hold the speedy folded and you do not want to fold your speedy once you own it, whenever not in use, you want to have it stuffed or filled because folding can cause the canvas to crack later on down the road. Just some tidbit for you!"

:confused1:

:sweatdrop: oh dear, yes ive heard about this before and it worries me because i think i have several pieces from USA. If its not me, then its someone else close, like my mother. Anyway, this is still very shocking to me because i believed that the USA CRAFTSMANSHIP displayed on the bags was up to par and sometimes even superior to "made in France" because stitching most of the time felt much tighter and more exact if i make any sense. the one ive heard more defects and problems from has been the italy factory. Apart from the USA factory, I really like the spain and france factories.:upsidedown:

Mono speedy is def a classic, but if you really like vanilla or lilac, I would personally go for those first if you find them in good condition and a reasonable price. The longer that goes by, the harder it will be to find pieces in those colors in good condition, whereas mono speedy will always be available to get later. Depends if you eventually want to get those pieces or just one...although it's hard to stop at one! :graucho:

I also personally love lilac and have a lilac noe...lilac is becoming increasingly rare.

you said it. i saw one on ebay not too long ago in pristine condition, authentic, no stains, no smells, selling for less than $340. :yahoo: sometimes i wish i LV resellers would offer those great deals on mens bags:crybaby:

hope this is not too late :smile: i would vote for the Mono speedy 30 too. You seem to be considering 25 now...maybe you could also consider the 30, for me it's the perfect size :biggrin: but you can try it out in store and see what you like better! :smile:

ilvbags - Hi there! It's definitely not too late to put in your 2cents. I welcome & would like to hear everyone's advice. I haven't made a final decision yet & it probably won't do so until spring/summer time. I want to choose the perfect bag for me & not be plagued with buyer's remorse. Although it's super early & I have a lot of time, it never hurts to start early, right? :P Especially since there is such a vast collection to choose from!

As for which size, I will have to see how it looks like in person. I tried the mini lin ebene speedy 30 before & it looked really chunky on my person. Maybe it will look different this time around with the mono 30? *shrugs*

Mono speedy is def a classic, but if you really like vanilla or lilac, I would personally go for those first if you find them in good condition and a reasonable price. The longer that goes by, the harder it will be to find pieces in those colors in good condition, whereas mono speedy will always be available to get later. Depends if you eventually want to get those pieces or just one...although it's hard to stop at one! :graucho:

I also personally love lilac and have a lilac noe...lilac is becoming increasingly rare.

Hi NYC Princess! Thanks for posting. I totally concur with the rarity of lilac. Judging by the pictures posted by fellow tpf'ers, it's a great color & I'm sure it looks even better in person. No kidding when you say it's becoming harder & harder to find.

Oh, how true at how difficult it is to stop at just one LV. I would love to have more but for practically sake, I must restrict myself to having only one (or two if I can't live without either of them! :lol:). I have to be sure it's a bag I will use time & time again. Nooooo wasting! :nogood:

contrary to popular vote, i would not vote for a mono speedy. In fact one of my favorites is epi. and the lilac and vanilla colors are fantastic and rare, like a Renoir painting. :smile: anyway, You really have picked four classics with which one cannot go wrong. Though everyone always suggests to start off with a mono bag, including myself, the other options you are suggesting overpower any inclination to suggest a mono as of yet. My first was an epi wallet in moka. Perhaps the best wallet ever made and the longest lasting ive ever seen and heard of. Why? i actually dropped my wallet in a puddle and it was completely submerged over-night. When i found the wallet the following day, it was puffy like a marshmellow. I laid it outside for it to get some sun in orderto dry it up a bit. After that i put a really big book on it. After 2hrs of sh***ing bricks, the wallet looked like it did when i first bought it new!!

Now do you see why you should get epi?

clearstatic - wow! I am amazed at how durable your epi wallet is! I would've thought it was a goner after being soaked with water for that long. What a trooper the epi leather is & what great quality! I'm glad to hear of such a happy ending. Now you've got me thinking :P

:sweatdrop: oh dear, yes ive heard about this before and it worries me because i think i have several pieces from USA. If its not me, then its someone else close, like my mother. Anyway, this is still very shocking to me because i believed that the USA CRAFTSMANSHIP displayed on the bags was up to par and sometimes even superior to "made in France" because stitching most of the time felt much tighter and more exact if i make any sense. the one ive heard more defects and problems from has been the italy factory. Apart from the USA factory, I really like the spain and france factories.:upsidedown:

^ These claims worry me too! Now I'm unsure if I should find a made in USA or made in France bag. But I've heard that a majority of the LV boutiques in the states carry mostly USA-made handbags. I'm confused :confused1:

Hopefully, we will get some more info from other tpf'ers to sort out fact from fiction!

So please keep posting everyone & also give your opinion about USA-made vs. France-made LVs!

My vote is for the Epi Speedy in Ivoire or Black.
That way, you can still get the best of both worlds. (a Speedy and an Epi) Still very timeless and classic.
The size 25 or 30 would be of your personal liking and how much stuff you carry.

In the case of where the bag is manufactured...I never bothered to look or ask. IMO, I think that if you take care of your investment, it will be there for you.