Want My Old Job Back...Need Some Help...Resume' Experts??

PurseCrazyGal

Miss_Marlena
O.G.
Jan 9, 2008
Hi All:smile:

I could use some help as I have never had to do a resume'. :shrugs:

I used to have this job & lost it due to a change in the shifts to which the job was to be done. It's on a new shift with a new boss. My question is: Do I want to focus on the past?...prior experience or do I want to emphasize what I can bring to the table today? Or something entirely different? Not sure how to go about this. Any help & ideas are appreciated. TIA:flowers:

For a resume, you'd want to include:
-Your career objective (related to the job you are applying for - and concentrate on what you can bring to the table)
-Your work experience (in chronological order with the most recent work experience going first). List the job, organization and duties you carried out (try and make the duties as relevant to the job you are applying for as possible)
-Education (including courses, continuing education, workshops etc.)
-Skills and interests (I don't do this, but I've seen a lot of people who add it to their resumes)
-Memberships/ conferences spoken at etc.

All the items above are categories that can be found on a resume. You should also write a cover letter that will be the narrative version of "selling yourself". This is where you can really talk about how well you fit with the job and what assets you can bring to the organization.

If you google, you can find tons of examples of resumes and cover letters

Good luck!

Hi sweetie, gorgeous avatar ! :graucho:

Could you clarify a bit? was the job that you lost within the same company? and where is the new job you want to apply for?
Hi there. Thanks so much!;) Great to hear from ya again.

Yes it is the same company on a different team though. I used to do the job on the day shift. When they downsized a couple years ago,the job went to the off-shift. Because of obligations,I was unable to go to the night shift. The position is open,on days again due to a retirement. It is now on a different team w/ a different boss. So I think I have a shot at it! I think I'm still on good terms with them.:smile: Hope this helps.

For a resume, you'd want to include:
-Your career objective (related to the job you are applying for - and concentrate on what you can bring to the table)
-Your work experience (in chronological order with the most recent work experience going first). List the job, organization and duties you carried out (try and make the duties as relevant to the job you are applying for as possible)
-Education (including courses, continuing education, workshops etc.)
-Skills and interests (I don't do this, but I've seen a lot of people who add it to their resumes)
-Memberships/ conferences spoken at etc.

All the items above are categories that can be found on a resume. You should also write a cover letter that will be the narrative version of "selling yourself". This is where you can really talk about how well you fit with the job and what assets you can bring to the organization.

If you google, you can find tons of examples of resumes and cover letters

Good luck!
Thanks for all your info!:flowers: You have been most helpful! ;)

Hi there. Thanks so much!;) Great to hear from ya again.

Yes it is the same company on a different team though. I used to do the job on the day shift. When they downsized a couple years ago,the job went to the off-shift. Because of obligations,I was unable to go to the night shift. The position is open,on days again due to a retirement. It is now on a different team w/ a different boss. So I think I have a shot at it! I think I'm still on good terms with them.:smile: Hope this helps.

Then since its the same company, i would say a lot depends on the internal procedures. Is it required that you apply with cv and resume? Is the old boss from the day shift still in the company? do you have references from him? or could he talk to the boss that is currently managing the team?

Then since its the same company, i would say a lot depends on the internal procedures. Is it required that you apply with cv and resume? Is the old boss from the day shift still in the company? do you have references from him? or could he talk to the boss that is currently managing the team?
I have to fill out a cft & it says to attach a resume if needed. I had several different bosses. One or two are still around. I could look into your suggestion and at worst mention all the previous ones in the resume. I have till tuesday morning. I should start getting my thoughts together pretty soon. I plan on writing it tomorrow.;) Thanks dearie!:biggrin:

I have to fill out a cft & it says to attach a resume if needed. I had several different bosses. One or two are still around. I could look into your suggestion and at worst mention all the previous ones in the resume. I have till tuesday morning. I should start getting my thoughts together pretty soon. I plan on writing it tomorrow.;) Thanks dearie!:biggrin:

then attach the resume and if possible, speak to the previous bosses and ask if you can give their names as contact for references for the potential new manager ( dont know how big the company is and if they know each other or not). And get to working on it LOL! ;) I work in a big company and I always send an email to my potential new manager when I apply internally to add a bit of personal touch and stand out, it might be an idea for you as well!

then attach the resume and if possible, speak to the previous bosses and ask if you can give their names as contact for references for the potential new manager ( dont know how big the company is and if they know each other or not). And get to working on it LOL! ;) I work in a big company and I always send an email to my potential new manager when I apply internally to add a bit of personal touch and stand out, it might be an idea for you as well!
Thanks for the help/advise:flowers: I plan to get started in a few! Thanks so much again to both of you ladies;) PrincessCayenne & nataliam1976

I used to have this job & lost it due to a change in the shifts to which the job was to be done. It's on a new shift with a new boss. My question is: Do I want to focus on the past?...prior experience or do I want to emphasize what I can bring to the table today? Or something entirely different? Not sure how to go about this. Any help & ideas are appreciated.

I read this the other day, but there's a few things I don't understand. Was the change your choice, or did they assign you to the new job? If they moved you, why? Is there a pay difference? How different is the work? Is there a position open and posted for your old job?

Edit -----

I guess I missed this somehow:

Yes it is the same company on a different team though. I used to do the job on the day shift. When they downsized a couple years ago,the job went to the off-shift. Because of obligations,I was unable to go to the night shift. The position is open,on days again due to a retirement. It is now on a different team w/ a different boss. So I think I have a shot at it! I think I'm still on good terms with them.

Go for it if you can, but keep in mind companies like employees to be flexible as to hours. It's possible they'll look at the fact you couldn't take the other shift and that it may work against you. Maybe they won't though.

Last edited:
I think you should include both your past experience & what you bring to the table. resumes typically focus on your experience. what you can bring now is generally the focus of your cover letter.

ITA with nataliam1976 about the personal touch. you should definitely tell people in your organization that you're interested in the position. perhaps your current boss could recommend you, or your previous boss when you had that position. personal networking is the best way to land a job.

let me know if you want help with your resume...I'd be happy to help you! :heart:

I think you should include both your past experience & what you bring to the table. resumes typically focus on your experience. what you can bring now is generally the focus of your cover letter.

ITA with nataliam1976 about the personal touch. you should definitely tell people in your organization that you're interested in the position. perhaps your current boss could recommend you, or your previous boss when you had that position. personal networking is the best way to land a job.

let me know if you want help with your resume...I'd be happy to help you! :heart:
Thanks L.;) Can you help with the nerves? Hehehe