Wallet on Chain hardware mismatching

Nassi

Jan 31, 2021
Hi Community!
I recently bought a WOC in white caviar leather with light gold hardware when I was on holiday in London. When I inspected it in store I thought everything was fine. But when I unboxed it back home, I noticed that the chain didn’t have the typical champagne gold hardware, it looked much darker and even tarnished. Also the champagne gold of the rest of the bag’s hardware looked different to it (it had the champagne gold).
Yesterday I went to my nearest Chanel (unfortunately I don’t have one in my city) and asked the SA about it. She said to me, that this was normal and showed me another woc with the same dark chain, but lighter “normal” Logo. She said the colour of the chain doesn’t have to match the other hardware of the bag. And now I am highly confused because I always thought that was the case and mismatched hardware rather a sign of a fake. I don’t know what to do now. She refused to get it repaired, but I am still unsure if this “normal”. Did you have any experience with this?

E2C083F6-3884-4066-88B3-F79F0EC7EBC6.jpeg

E58D4C3D-35B8-4957-9318-C81169DCC35A.jpeg

ED9A0E19-15C9-4C26-AB61-8F8327D81347.jpeg

6702E9A1-C514-463D-A845-CFF545B99D05.jpeg

Hi, so I wanted to share a pic of my recent purchase. The leather on the chain is a little frayed, although I don't really see a hardware dismatch. They are both light gold.

I think for new purchases there is a 5 year warranty? I figured I will just enjoy mine and when it comes time, I will get the strap leather replaced.
IMG_3987.jpeg

Reactions: jselise2
Hi, so I wanted to share a pic of my recent purchase. The leather on the chain is a little frayed, although I don't really see a hardware dismatch. They are both light gold.

I think for new purchases there is a 5 year warranty? I figured I will just enjoy mine and when it comes time, I will get the strap leather replaced.
View attachment 5684588
What a beautiful colour

I am also very relieved, that there is a 5 year warranty now. The chain of your WOC looks fine! Mine is darker and even a little dull, compared to other light gold hardware of another Chanel bag I own. Will show it to stores in Paris, as they often have a better understanding of the products as SAs from other cities/countries. But until then I will also enjoy it ☺️

Reactions: Grande Latte
Long story short…I bought a seasonal 22a dark beige cf while abroad in S. Korea at a duty free Chanel boutique (to save on taxes). Fast forward a few months later and back home in the US, I read posts about the gold on the CC being a different color from the chain so I check mine and lo and behold it’s different colors. Since finding out and being disappointed, I have never taken that bag out. It’s brand new except for when I checked the hardware and I feel like others will think it’s a fake when it’s not. Are mismatched hardware colors a thing with Chanel CF’s now? I wish I never read those posts as I wouldn’t have noticed…

Do I have any options? I tried calling the general hotline which was no help but if there are any suggestions I would appreciate it. It’s a bit complicated as it was a duty free purchase abroad and now I’m back in the US.

Reactions: jselise2
Long story short…I bought a seasonal 22a dark beige cf while abroad in S. Korea at a duty free Chanel boutique (to save on taxes). Fast forward a few months later and back home in the US, I read posts about the gold on the CC being a different color from the chain so I check mine and lo and behold it’s different colors. Since finding out and being disappointed, I have never taken that bag out. It’s brand new except for when I checked the hardware and I feel like others will think it’s a fake when it’s not. Are mismatched hardware colors a thing with Chanel CF’s now? I wish I never read those posts as I wouldn’t have noticed…

Do I have any options? I tried calling the general hotline which was no help but if there are any suggestions I would appreciate it. It’s a bit complicated as it was a duty free purchase abroad and now I’m back in the US.
I wouldn't worry about it so much. If you bought at Chanel boutique inside duty free zone then it IS a genuine Chanel piece. You have the receipts and purchase records. Don't let it bother you so much that you can't even wear it anymore.

Please don't try to do any repairs yourself. Chances are the plating for chains and logo are from different sources and the difference very minute. I'm not a super picky shopper, I care more about leather quality.

And if in a year or two you still can't stop obsessing, then try selling it.

Reactions: peke<3cc
I wouldn't worry about it so much. If you bought at Chanel boutique inside duty free zone then it IS a genuine Chanel piece. You have the receipts and purchase records. Don't let it bother you so much that you can't even wear it anymore.

Please don't try to do any repairs yourself. Chances are the plating for chains and logo are from different sources and the difference very minute. I'm not a super picky shopper, I care more about leather quality.

And if in a year or two you still can't stop obsessing, then try selling it.

Thank you for the comment! I will def not try to repair it myself as i don’t think it needs repair as it’s brand new, just diff hardware colors. I’m not worried it’s a fake as I did get it from a Chanel duty free boutique abroad but it’s more about being self conscious taking it out in public when the hardware is not one color throughout. Again, I personally didnt notice this when looking at it at the boutique, until I read about it months later and decided to double check.

Is this an ongoing issue with Chanel classic flaps? This bag was $9k so I’m bummed I spent so much on a beautiful dark beige bag but paranoid about the hardware colors

There's was a couple of bags recently that the flap hardware didn't match chain exactly, like this thread yours was merged to.
Is your hardware like the bag above?

There's was a couple of bags recently that the flap hardware didn't match chain exactly, like this thread yours was merged to.
Is your hardware like the bag above?

Yes. The CC hardware of my seasonal classic
Flap is a different shade of gold compared to the chain on the strap. One is much lighter (almost silver-like) compared to the other which is gold.

Hey, check this out on Instagram, the hardware is a bit mismatched as well. So I guess it happens quite often. Maybe this is Chanel's way of countering counterfeit items by doing something "slightly" differently. Personally, it wouldn't bother me so much. Please enjoy your bags!