Wallet bought on eBay too worn?

NYCgirl

O.G.
Oct 29, 2006
I recently purchased a preloved small wallet on eBay. The seller listed it in "good" condition and when I asked her for more detail on condition or if there were any defects, she replied that it was in very good condition, because she rarely used it. The auction started at $250 and I offered $200 which she accepted.

Well, I just received the wallet and while it is beautiful the condition isn't exactly described. It generally is in good shape, but the color in some parts of the weave has rubbed off from wear, particularly at the corners of the weave. It definitely has been used quite a lot

I wish it wasn't so worn in these areas, because otherwise I love it. The size and compartments are perfect for the smaller bags I am currently using and I figured out the color is Anemone. Do you guys think I should just return it / file a claim with eBay or try to get a partial refund?

It's hard to photograph the rubbing off of the weave, but I'll try to take a picture of it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 209
If you are not comfortable with the wear and feel that it was not as described I would file a claim. It is too much money for something you will not use. Would you be happy with it if you got a partial refund?

If you are not comfortable with the wear and feel that it was not as described I would file a claim. It is too much money for something you will not use. Would you be happy with it if you got a partial refund?

Thanks. I'm going to file a claim / contact the seller. I probably should just request the whole amount refunded.

As an occasional seller, I'm always a bit sad when a buyer is unhappy. I mean, you're buying a used item. Its always important to remember. Even "mint condition", or "NWT" is still used in my book because it's not from the original retailer. Also one person's definition of good condition could be very different from another's. I wish your seller had just stuck to good condition, by adding 'very' during his/her discussions with you, she set a higher expectation.

$200 is a pretty good deal. I would write the seller and tell her you like the wallet but it's just a bit more worn than you expected. Don't jump straight into a dispute or claim; try to work it out. But ask yourself this: even if you get a partial refund will you still be bothered? If the answer is yes, I'd return it and get your money back. And then you know in the future, "good" condition isn't good enough.

For what it's worth, I think the wallet looks quite nice. remember the wallet is now at least four years old so the leather was bound to soften. The wear looks really normal considering the age.

As an occasional seller, I'm always a bit sad when a buyer is unhappy. I mean, you're buying a used item. Its always important to remember. Even "mint condition", or "NWT" is still used in my book because it's not from the original retailer. Also one person's definition of good condition could be very different from another's. I wish your seller had just stuck to good condition, by adding 'very' during his/her discussions with you, she set a higher expectation.

$200 is a pretty good deal. I would write the seller and tell her you like the wallet but it's just a bit more worn than you expected. Don't jump straight into a dispute or claim; try to work it out. But ask yourself this: even if you get a partial refund will you still be bothered? If the answer is yes, I'd return it and get your money back. And then you know in the future, "good" condition isn't good enough.

For what it's worth, I think the wallet looks quite nice. remember the wallet is now at least four years old so the leather was bound to soften. The wear looks really normal considering the age.

I agree, but when I specifically asked about wear / defects she said nothing, when she should have mentioned the color rubbing off / worn edges of the weave. I am also an occasional seller on eBay and I try to disclose as much detail as possible, to avoid issues like this. I think she's a new seller, so not very familiar with the process.

I always look at pre-loved as used so there will be wear. I also always expect it to be worse than described which it is usually not but I am not super picky about wear if I love the item. That being said, if you feel it was misrepresented let the seller know...she may work with you and accept a return to get better feedback.

Sounds like you came to a good resolution with the seller. I'll just mention (in hopes it makes you feel better) that I've purchased a few accessories brand new from BV that have minor imperfections that probably even come from storage (like, faint hairline cracks to the resin of a coin purse). I've come to see BV accessories as a bit delicate. But it seems they go through an early stage of accumulating some signs of use and then don't get any worse. The picture of your wallet makes me think the seller did use the wallet sparingly, but also that she didn't look at the wallet meticulously.

I agree, but when I specifically asked about wear / defects she said nothing, when she should have mentioned the color rubbing off / worn edges of the weave. I am also an occasional seller on eBay and I try to disclose as much detail as possible, to avoid issues like this. I think she's a new seller, so not very familiar with the process.

Bummer. It's frustrating because like you, I probably over disclose so as to keep expectations manageable. What'd you decide to do?

I have to say that although I love my BV bags I don't t think they SLG's hold up
I have a zip around wallet that is 4 years old
the pull is almost gone on the zip around
all the corners are very worn, so worn I have stopped carrying it
I also have a metallic flap over card case that I love, the color is wearing off (it doesn't matter to me because I love the case and still carry it anyway)
I have a document case and the color is wearing off
This wallet looks much better than the wallet I have or the document case
Nothing lasts forever
I have had coach wallets that have held up better than my BV"s

I have to say that although I love my BV bags I don't t think they SLG's hold up
I have a zip around wallet that is 4 years old
the pull is almost gone on the zip around
all the corners are very worn, so worn I have stopped carrying it
I also have a metallic flap over card case that I love, the color is wearing off (it doesn't matter to me because I love the case and still carry it anyway)
I have a document case and the color is wearing off
This wallet looks much better than the wallet I have or the document case
Nothing lasts forever
I have had coach wallets that have held up better than my BV"s

That's interesting and good to know. The zip around wallet I've had for a couple years looks great, but I haven't carried it everyday and have been very gentle with it. I guess my issue was more that she didn't disclose the wear, which perhaps is more noticeable in real life. I'm very happy with it at the reduced price, though.