Wall Mounting a TV....Cables?

Jun 15, 2006
I have a question about wall mounting a wide screen TV.

For those of you that have done this what did you do with the cables? How do you hide them?

I know some people dig out a tunnel in the wall and then cover over the top but what happens if you need to take the TV down for some reason aren't you going to wreck the wall?

We are about to completely redecorate so making a mess to put it up isn't a problem I just want to make sure it's done right and looks good

lol BF thinks I don't trust him to do it lol

theres this thing.. its a piece of plastic.. like a pipe but flat with a slit in it and you place your cords and wires into the slit and it hides the wires... i saw it on HGTV.. i personally do not have one.

go to a place like Lowes or Home Depot.. they may be able to help you. I dont know what its called ...sorry...

You can use what she said ^^, they sell cable "hiders", but you're still going to have a visible line down the wall.
Or, you can cut a small hole in the wall, maybe 2 inches by 2 inches, where the TV will be mounted (so the TV covers the hole when mounted). Make sure your hole is between the studs. Feed the wires down the wall behind the drywall but in front of the insulation. You might need to tie a weight around the wire to help it along. Cut another hole, abt the same size, behind the entertainment center, directly below the other one you cut above it, and pull the cords through. You can leave the holes like that since they're going to be hidden it won't really matter, or a lot of stereo stores sell "panels" that you can insert into the hole to make it look more finished.