Not open for further replies.

pidgeon92

O.G.
Feb 8, 2006
Copied from 6/10 Chicago Tribune:

By David Glovin
Bloomberg News
Published June 9, 2006, 5:06 PM CDT

Fendi SpA, known for its monogrammed handbags and leather goods, sued Wal-Mart Stores Inc., claiming the world's largest retailer sells counterfeit handbags and wallets in its Sam's Club warehouse stores.

In a lawsuit filed today in federal court in New York, Fendi, a unit of LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton SA, says Sam's Club is selling fake Fendi handbags for up to $525. The authentic product retails for $900, Fendi says. Paris-based LVMH is the world's largest luxury-goods maker.

Sam's Club is selling ``handbags, shoulder bags, purses, wallets and key chains'' that ``imitate the designs of the Fendi products'' and carry imitation Fendi trademarks, the complaint says.

Wal-Mart Chief Executive Officer H. Lee Scott said this month that his company will add more items for affluent shoppers, as it seeks to alter its image as a destination for lowest-cost items.

Fendi says in its trademark infringement suit that Wal-Mart has earned millions of dollars by selling the knockoffs in stores in New York, California, Illinois and Florida. The company seeks undetermined damages and a ruling blocking Wal-Mart from selling the copies.

Fendi identified 12 alleged knockoffs that Wal-Mart is selling in its Sam's Club stores. A counterfeit wallet is on sale for $199, the suit says. The retail price for the genuine article is $385, the suit says.

John Simley, a spokesman for Bentonville, Arkansas-based Wal-Mart didn't immediately return a call.

Wow.. wow !!! How bad for Wal-Mart is that, reputable retailer that prides itself on good pricing is revealed to sell replicas.

Still, with all the badness of Wal-Mart practices, I can't help but feel a little schadenfreude.

Unbelievable!!! Wasn't it the hottest news a few months ago that Sam's Club was carrying the Black Spy and at a "discount" price of $1800?! I can't believe they were fakes.... even department stores arent safe anymore

I bought a Fendi wallet at Sam's Club. After I got home, I compared to pics of authentic wallets in the same style and it looked somewhat different. It also had a crooked stitch. I started to question the authenticity of the wallet, so I returned it and bought an LV wallet from Eluxury.

I don't think Sam's Club would intentionally sell fakes. I think this is similar to the Bluefly situation. They just got the bags from a bad source, and they can't tell the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.