Waiting for funds to clear from Paypal?

mpark46

O.G.
Mar 14, 2006
I won a bag off of ebay and sent my payment by Paypal. The seller responded by thanking me for my payment and that said that she would send the bag once the funds cleared to her bank account.

Is this standard practice?

I guess I've always shipped items as soon as the payment cleared paypal, but haven't waited for them to clear my bank as well.

Did you pay by e-check? That takes extra time to clear.

Otherwise the seller probably means that she will ship the item after the funds are out of her paypal account and have been transferred to her linked bank account.

Hey...your paypal payment should be instantly received unless you paid by eCheque. It sounds as if she is expecting you to wait until she has transferred the money out of paypal into her bank account which is daft and not standard practice!

Hey...your paypal payment should be instantly received unless you paid by eCheque. It sounds as if she is expecting you to wait until she has transferred the money out of paypal into her bank account which is daft and not standard practice!

Yes, that is what she means. I sent my payment by CC so she would have instantly gotten the funds to her paypal account, just not her bank account.

I feel bad asking her to send the bag, as I've asked a zillion questions as well as asked her to change things on her invoicing, etc. and even asked her if I could pay her in 4 days, which she was very accomodating about.

I was just wondering if it was standard practice. I didn't think so, but I guess I'll just have to wait anyways :shame:

I'm ashamed to admit, but I've sent some of my buyers this message when I first started selling not too long ago. The thing is - I did not know that I had to do smth to my PayPal account (now i already forgot what it was)... but all the payments I have received were showing as "pending" in my Ebay, and I just sat there and waited for them to "clear" Oh wel... you live, you learn...

On high end items I wait for the funds to be transfered out of my PayPal account and into my bank account. I've only recently started doing this. I've read so many posts about people getting scammed with phony credit card numbers (even with confirmed addresses), and then they were out the money and the item. So now I request a transfer as soon as the money hits my PayPal account, and then I ship two days later-- which will leave me time to recall the item from the post office if necessary.

If you payed by CC, it should go into the seller's PayPal account immediately, but it usually takes maybe 2-3 business days for the money to be transferred from the seller's PayPal account into their linked bank account. Although it's not standard practice for most eBay items, I think it may be for high end items like this one. I wouldn't worry too much, as long as the seller keeps in constant communication with you on any updates.

I have done this before for High end items and new ebayers. It should only take a few days. She just want to make sure that the funds are safely in her account.