Von Holzhausen bags - opinions from those who already own

baglvr2012

O.G.
Apr 13, 2013
Hi everyone,
I recently discovered this brand (von Holzhausen). Style is minimalistic but nicely made. What are your opinions on the brand? Would love to hear from those who own the totes and how they are holding up and look when carried by both straps on the shoulder.
I like the minimalistic look and it's hard to find brands out there w/o logo but with great quality leather.
thanks.
https://vonholzhausen.com/collections/all

Hi everyone,
I recently discovered this brand (von Holzhausen). Style is minimalistic but nicely made. What are your opinions on the brand? Would love to hear from those who own the totes and how they are holding up and look when carried by both straps on the shoulder.
I like the minimalistic look and it's hard to find brands out there w/o logo but with great quality leather.
thanks.
https://vonholzhausen.com/collections/all
They look great! Where are they made?
Did you buy one?

Reactions: baglvr2012
I have two Von Holzhausens. They are works of art. I bought the shoulder bag in olive green and just last week got the handheld in taupe and black. The leather is soft, the handbags are so light you hardly feel them on your shoulder. If I had not discovered the Deadly Ponies Fill and Zip I would have ordered the Von Holzhausen tote bag. I love that they use the hides from steers that have been slaughtered for meat so that it is not wasted and that they donate part of the money from every bag sold to a worthy cause. I predict increasing sales for these purses!!

Long-time lurker, first time poster here! Really lovely community :smile:. Less than a year since it's purchase, my beloved Hobo the Original bag fell apart in the straps, which left me with no bag big and secure enough to accommodate a laptop. As a silver lining, they refunded me, which freed up some cash to pursue a better, greater bag :biggrin:. So I took a plunge and got a Von Holzhausen's shopper in Technik leather. I adore real leather, but I was really attracted to this bag's cool design and a promise of non-toxic, durable material. So far I really like it! I tend to carry a TON of stuff around, especially when traveling with SO (I am a designated mule for all his snacks and water :biggrin:), and securing closure is a must for me. A combination of flaps, a POWERFUL magnet, and a drawstring makes the shopper pretty good for that.
TL;DR - the shopper is a unique, expensive (as it is), beautiful looking bag that hopefully lives up to its promise of durability! Attached are the pictures, mine is denim/black. The photos do the bag poor justice, it is really stunning in person as it has a matte shine to it that makes it look very chic. Now I will dream of their shoulder bag in olive...

Attachments

• IMG_1984.JPG
    IMG_1984.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 2,552
@southernbelle43 @TotinScience How does the technik leather smell? I guess I'm just wondering if it smells bad, since it's not genuine leather. I've been checking out their website lately, and I like some of their designs.
So here is the thing. The "leather" itself actually doesn't smell at all, and it does have a really cool texture. It's soft, but smooth, doesn't feel fake and is water resistant (I got into rain with it once, wiped off with a cloth and if looks brand new). BUT, in the first generation of shoppers they used this weird glue to secure the lining to the bag that does smell rather unpleasantly and chemically, as both southernbelle and myself experienced. I've had my shopper for almost a month now and the smell is slowly fading. I contacted customer service and they told me the next batch of shoppers that doesn't use this glue will be available in late July and if the smell is still there in my bag, I can exchange it. So if I were you, I'd wait till then if you have the time.

So here is the thing. The "leather" itself actually doesn't smell at all, and it does have a really cool texture. It's soft, but smooth, doesn't feel fake and is water resistant (I got into rain with it once, wiped off with a cloth and if looks brand new). BUT, in the first generation of shoppers they used this weird glue to secure the lining to the bag that does smell rather unpleasantly and chemically, as both southernbelle and myself experienced. I've had my shopper for almost a month now and the smell is slowly fading. I contacted customer service and they told me the next batch of shoppers that doesn't use this glue will be available in late July and if the smell is still there in my bag, I can exchange it. So if I were you, I'd wait till then if you have the time.

Agree, the bag is awesome; the smell was not good at all. They will get it worked out I am sure and I may well buy another Technik bag. Like TotinScience I love the way it looks, feels and wears. I got makeup on my white one and just scrubbed it off with a soapy cloth. You cannot beat that. I would never buy a whilte leather bag!!

As it has been a few months, I figured I'd share some updates on the Technik Leather Shopper for anyone who's interested. First off, I ended up exchanging it for the model that no longer uses the smelly glue. The new bag arrived even better than the one before, and while there is some smell (according to them emanating mostly from edge painting), it's nowhere near as bothersome and is dissipating pretty quickly. With that out of the way, and with a disclaimer that until last year I was decidedly NOT a handbag kind of gal (I would wear a Tumi backpack for 6+ years and get hand-me-down handbags from my much more stylish Mom :biggrin:), the shopper might just be one of the best bags I've ever had. It is incredibly light, so you can load it up with all your stuff and it never feels too heavy. I went on a trip with it and it served perfectly as a "personal item" bag, plus with the Technik-leather durability I didn't feel bad sticking it under the seat in front, like I would with a leather handbag :biggrin:. It fits a 13' Macbook with ease, and has plenty of room for other stuff. Since it's basically square, it's neither N/S nor W/S, so it doesn't protrude in either direction much, and it's actually really easy to fish things out of it. I'd still wish it had a zipper, but the magnet closure and the flaps actually provide pretty adequate security, as it would be hard for a thief to rummage through both without me noticing (I HOPE!). The interior pockets are easy to access from the outside (again, to me, not to a third party), so getting a phone is easy despite a lack of outside pockets. If I had any complaints about it (besides the aftermentioned smell and zipper lack), is that while I adore stylish knots on the straps, when worn crossbody on a light shirt they can kind of dig into a shoulder which can be a little uncomfortable (not an issue at all when worn as a shoulder bag, which is what I do most of the time anyway). Another minor complaint is that since crossbody strap is basically shoulder straps tugged on one side, if you, like me, occasionally rummage through your bag while it's still on your shoulder with letting one of the straps drop, the other one might start extending into a crossbody strap if the bag is heavy enough. But that's like...quintessential first world problems :biggrin:. Overall, I have to say this is my workhorse every day/travel bag - it fits everything, including a light sweater, an umbrella, all my essentials, and any rogue purchase I may make along the way :biggrin:. And while that might be my subjective opinion, I find this bag very striking. It's not the best analogy, but it's kind of like Tesla compared to other cars - there is something futuristically sleek about its design and the way Technik leather drapes that makes it like no other bag out there.
In related news, VH will be releasing more styles in Technik this Fall!

I'm so happy to have been directed to this thread! I am very intrigued and plan to purchase one of these bags soon. I'm eyeing the mini duffle, but the bucket bag and the tote look great too! I would love to hear of any more experiences with the technik "leather" as well!
My experience with TL was great. After giving the shopper to my daughter she got a big black streak of something on it. I Grabbed a washcloth and some Dawn and scrubbed it right off. It looks and feels like smooth nappa leather.

Reactions: bellebellebelle19