vitamins for the hair, skin and nails

I've been taking biotin for a few months now (I use the 5000 mcg formula) and I've definitely noticed my hair getting thicker.

I've been wondering about the Nioxin supplements. Has anyone experienced any adverse side effects (breakouts, etc.)?

A general all purpose multi vit should help improve your hair there is no need to go for specific prenatal vits

But there are fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals that are specific to healthy hair, skin, or nails. In that sense, yes, a supplement specifically designed with those properties would be more beneficial than a general multi-vitamin. For example, biotin is great for hair/skin/nails. A typical multi-vitamin may only contain less than 50 mcg of biotin, whereas a hair/skin/nails vitamin may contain up to 3000 mcg

What are biotin's (negative) side effects? My hair needs a fall-boost, so I'm interested...

There are no known side effects of Biotin (vitamin B7). However, it can interact with certain antibiotics or alcohol in a negative manner. Primarily, alcohol and certain antibiotics can prevent the absorption of biotin.
Large doses of biotin are not recommended if you already have a diet rich in foods that are high in biotin. The foods with the highest levels of biotin are peanuts, almonds, filberts, and peanut butter.

What are biotin's (negative) side effects? My hair needs a fall-boost, so I'm interested...

I have been taking Biotin for four years now with no negative side effects whatsoever. I have heard some people say they experienced breakouts on it though, so I think starting with a fairly low dose like 500-1000 mcg to see how you react would be safer than jumping onto 3000 or 5000 mcg. I do hope you give it a chance for at least two weeks because nothing has ever made such a difference for my nails; Biotin is the only reason I was able to start a nail blog like I wanted to for so long. I know you said hair is your area of concern, but I'm just saying in general. :smile:

I have been taking Biotin for four years now with no negative side effects whatsoever. I have heard some people say they experienced breakouts on it though, so I think starting with a fairly low dose like 500-1000 mcg to see how you react would be safer than jumping onto 3000 or 5000 mcg. I do hope you give it a chance for at least two weeks because nothing has ever made such a difference for my nails; Biotin is the only reason I was able to start a nail blog like I wanted to for so long. I know you said hair is your area of concern, but I'm just saying in general. :smile:
Well... pretty nails wouldn't be bad either :P
I'm also on birth control, does Biotin affect that in any way or is it safe to take both?