Tech Vista Problem -- Desktop File Unavailable

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Save 25% off all Jeans at Nordstrom. Sale ends Sunday at noon EST. Click or tap to shop the sale!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. #1 Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
    Hey All!

My mum's Dell laptop (bought last year in May), running Vista Home ed (me thinks), had the problem below pop up suddenly last night:

c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop refers to a location that is unavailable. it could be on a hard drive on this computer. or on a network. check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the internet or your network and then try again. if it still cannot be located the information might have been moved to a different location

It would pop up every time I attempt to open My Computer. I did a little reading on the web, and apparently this is a prob with Vista's latest downloaded update pack. (i may be wrong). I am not a Vista user (I am a MAC user--I hate Vista:yucky:), and my poor mum doesn't know what to do. :confused1:

Does anyone know how to get rid of this annoyance? (Please baby talk me thru the fix -- no big computer lingo -- me no understand Windows:huh:).

Thank u in advance.

2. restart the system as system is booting, press and hold f8. when the safe mode menu comes up, select "last known good configuration." let me know if that helps.

3. What do they consider the "latest" update pack? If that's the case, there might be a newer update that she needs to install. Click start>settings>control panel>windows update and see if anything needs to be installed.

4. Thanks for the tip! The weird thing is that I just turned on the laptop, and the message is no longer showing up. However, I did read that it can pop up again. If it does pop up again, I'm going to do what u suggested, and let u know how it goes....but I'm crossing my fingers that it won't come back!

5. Good question! I really don't know what the latest update pack is...gonna check the update like u suggested above. As I wrote to hartofalyon, For some reason the message is not showing up again, which is a good thing (and I did nothing)...but it may just come back again. Will post if it does come back, I'll see what the window update is.