Virus - help!

noon

*Sun in my eyes*
O.G.
Apr 1, 2007
by a sand castle
Last night when I was trying to open a site, I got a message from norton that it had blocked an intrusion attempt. When this happened I remembered that my weekly full scan hadnt run earlier that day so I began a full system scan. I tried that site again and I noticed it was trying to open a different page so I immediately closed it and I got another mesg that it had blocked an intrusion attempt. (im assuming this is where I got the virus)

I noticed that my virus scan found and resolved 7 trojan.byteverify. It said it was high risk, but when I clicked the more info link the symantec site it was a low risk virus. Ive tried searching for more info, but havent really found anything other than it will change my homepage and add other links to my favorites both of which havent occured. I have run virus scan a couple more times and everything seems clean. So my q is, is my computer safe? Im back browsing on it now, but i did change a lot of my passwords just in case.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

noon

*Sun in my eyes*
O.G.
Apr 1, 2007
by a sand castle
Thanks! Is it ok to have it with norton, sorry if this is a stupid q. But I thought having 2 of these kinda things running sorta cancel each other out?

Charles

Sucks at budgeting
O.G.
Jan 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Fl
Ad Aware is for spyware. Norton is primarily for viruses ad trojans. Although, I think some flavors of Norton have spyware blockers included.

Really, most viruses are harmless. There have only be a handful of actual malicious viruses that attempt to completely screw up your PC. Most just want to have a little fun with you and change settings or email stuff to your address books...stuff like that. I'm sure everything's fine right now. Also, I'd change your virus scan to daily. Maybe at like 4am when you're sleeping.

Varied_obsessions

Because I said so
O.G.
May 7, 2006
My dh had Norton and it allowed him to get a huge space taking trojan. I have AVG and Counterspy and have not had a problem. After we got his pc cleaned up, I installed both on it and haven't had a problem since