Virgiene Viard thoughts?

clumsiest

Jun 7, 2018
With the grievous and sad departure of the fashion Kaiser Karl Lagerfeld, Virginie Viard, who apparently worked with him for the past 30 years, has been appointed as the new creative director of Chanel.

So I want to know everyone's opinion; do you think she made CHANEL justice? do you think she's on the same level as Mr. Lagerfeld?

I've heard mainly negative reviews that think Viard is too "weak" to run a house like Chanel. Some people have even said that the house will turn boring and bland like Dior with Maria Grazia.

Here are some of my favorite outfits:
3-1556894636.jpg 40-1556894660.jpg 48-1556894664.jpg 79-1556894692.jpg

With the grievous and sad departure of the fashion Kaiser Karl Lagerfeld, Virginie Viard, who apparently worked with him for the past 30 years, has been appointed as the new creative director of Chanel.

So I want to know everyone's opinion; do you think she made CHANEL justice? do you think she's on the same level as Mr. Lagerfeld?

I've heard mainly negative reviews that think Viard is too "weak" to run a house like Chanel. Some people have even said that the house will turn boring and bland like Dior with Maria Grazia.

View attachment 4422028 View attachment 4422029 View attachment 4422030 View attachment 4422031
I LOVE Virginie Viard!!! She has been been working with Lagerfeld and contributed so much on so many of his past collections- I think she is the perfect person to run the house of Chanel and, I agree, she did do a phenomenal job with this show.

View attachment 4422028 View attachment 4422029 View attachment 4422030 View attachment 4422031

Truth be told, I didn't blindly buy anything designed by Karl previously, I did applied my selection test before making any purchases.
For the past five years, I felt like I rarely fell in love with a piece so much that I can't wait to buy it.
The test for me re VV would be: The amount of Chanel purchases I made in the next five years.
So only time will tell.
I'm speculating at the moment.

Some people have even said that the house will turn boring and bland like Dior with Maria Grazia.

I will personally fight anyone who says that about MGC. Dior never once caught my eye in my decade+ obsession with designer houses, she changed that. And I know for a fact that her designs are catching a lot of attention from my generation.

That said, KL was the best, and VV learned from him and she's done work for Chanel since the 1980s. And if he didn't trust her, they wouldn't have worked so closely together both at Chanel and Chloe. I'm interested to see how she keeps up the legacy and how/what she changes up. I just think people don't like change, especially when a brand is so attached to the designer - like Celine and PP.

But it's about time a woman was back at the hem of Chanel. IMHO.

I thought this collection from VV was fabulous! Very true to Karl but much softer and subdued. Dare I say it, but I think Karl sometimes took his themes/inspirations too literally at some points and some collections came off as caricature-y if that makes sense. He still did amazing though, but this collections from VV was very wearable and subdued like Coco while still being quirky like Karl!

I thought this collection from VV was fabulous! Very true to Karl but much softer and subdued. Dare I say it, but I think Karl sometimes took his themes/inspirations too literally at some points and some collections came off as caricature-y if that makes sense. He still did amazing though, but this collections from VV was very wearable and subdued like Coco while still being quirky like Karl!
I really love this comment. I know that doesn’t add much to the conversation, but it is so accurate imo.

I think the collection is less commercial and instead more feminine, more wearable. For a cruise collection, it is more subdued than usual but I like it. I love the pink and black shoes, the bandeau shirts with a bow, the chain and ribbon belt and of course the jackets [emoji122][emoji846]

I also think she did a fantastic job. This is a transition time and she is continuing the legacy with great dignity. We will see whether she will be a transitional solution herself before they go for a star designer with their ‘own’ vision.

To me, while Lagerfeld set the standard for creative director of another’s name house, he was quite different from today’s typical CD in that he was more focused on (and I believed enjoyed) designing for the house’s legacy that his own style and in that he had an extraordinary regard for loyalty. I mean he was decades with Chanel and even more with Fendi and his teams were very stable, with people (mostly women) working on his side for their whole professional careers. To me Virgina Viard represents that in a way no other designer could.

i was positively surprised. i actually think she made chanel clothing much more appealing, it has an obvious feminine outlook and even a notch of an utilitarian outlook on clothes, which makes them much more desirable for everyday wear. not that most people will indeed use chanel for their everyday outfits, but i find she can make statements that will cause great impact in fashion, much like gucci and dior have been doing these past few years being you a high fashion consumer or a zara consumer. maybe that is not exciting for everyone, but i find lovely that chanel can have a more accessible fashion touch. dare i say i think she might fill the female gaze gap left by phoebe's departure from celine.

(sorry, might have been carried away by my backgroud in fashion journalism, haven't used it in years lol)

I really like most of the clothing. I think it was different enough for VV to make her own mark but keep the basic vibe of Chanel. I think the clothing very wearable, many pieces that can be worn in an every day wardrobe.

I felt the same way! I wanted to shout out to her, as if she needed to hear from little ole me! She is a great talent in her own right and may she have many fruitful years designing for Chanel. My hat is off to her!