Vinyl Roxanne Tote owners - enable me!

ditab

Mulberryaholic
O.G.
Dec 13, 2006
So, I've had the red vinyl Roxanne Tote on my radar for over a year now. I've been waiting for it to be further reduced but it looks like that's just not going to happen :shrugs: so I've decided I'm going to buy it anyway :yahoo:

However, I *know* that once I get to Bicester, I'll do my usual thing of baulking over paying £300+ for a non-leather bag and will probably talk myself into buying something else instead :Push: I can't get over the fact that I'll be paying the same price for the vinyl tote as I would have paid for the Oak Roxanne Tote in the summer sale :thinking: The thing is, the only real 'gap' I have in my bag collection is for something huge, lightweight, rainy day & baby proof. I've looked at Cath Kidston & Orla Keily but they're just not doing it for me.

Those of you with vinyl totes - do you love them? Do you think they were worth the money? Are they ageing well or does the vinyl stain, flake off, scuff etc? And are they definitely rain-proof?

As honest as possible, please :tup:

chloe-babe

O.G.
May 1, 2006
United Kingdom
I absolutely adored this bag when it was delivered, its so super shiny and the red it THE best colour. The only reason I returned it was its vast size (I am only 5.2), nothing to do with the vinyl, so if you are looking for a huge bag, I would just say go for it lol, as its going to be a go to bag that you are not going to worry about in the rain etc.

ditab

Mulberryaholic
O.G.
Dec 13, 2006
Thanks, chloe-babe :flowers: I must admit, I feel that the large size totally swamps me, too, and I'm 6ft :lol: but I am drawn to it :thinking: It's such a gorgeous shade, isn't it? :heart:

mulberryfloss

Jun 7, 2009
How about looking for a Roxy tote in antique leather? That way you would still have the practical qualities of vinyl in that it will be waterproof etc, but it will still be leather. Also, the antique leather versions are lined, unlike the NVT versions, and they have 2 really useful interior pockets. I've got the black A4 version, it's great I love it!:yahoo:

You're right, the red one is a gorgeous shade. But when we were at Bicester on Wednesday even my DH (who never really volunteers an opinion on bags unless pressed!) caught sight of it hanging on the wall and remarked how big it looked!:nuts:

piglet42

Jul 11, 2009
Aberdeenshire
I have the A4 roxy in purple vinyl and I do love it as it was my first Mulberry:love:...... it is very practical and I haven't worried too much about it as I have about my leather purchases...... I think thought I agree with Mfloss about antiqued leather I have to say now with my jacob I am thinking:thinking: I would of preferred an antiqued leather purple bag rather than the vinyl..... but the red vinyl is a lovely colour and they had them at chester oaks as well.....

travelbunny

Oct 6, 2008
Is coated canvas the same as vinyl?? My CC Roxy is fab as I am able to just chuck it around everywhere and it looks brand new - to me I don't mind paying £200 for this even though it isn't leather as I can't stand antiqued leather, which imo, looks cheaper than the CC!

ditab

Mulberryaholic
O.G.
Dec 13, 2006
Is coated canvas the same as vinyl?? My CC Roxy is fab as I am able to just chuck it around everywhere and it looks brand new - to me I don't mind paying £200 for this even though it isn't leather as I can't stand antiqued leather, which imo, looks cheaper than the CC!
Coated canvas is thinner & lighter than vinyl - but it's trimmed in leather whereas the vinyl is 100% vinyl.

If it was £200, I wouldn't mind so much. I'm just a bit :wtf: at paying £350 for it. I may have mentioned a few times :lol:

ditab

Mulberryaholic
O.G.
Dec 13, 2006
How about looking for a Roxy tote in antique leather? That way you would still have the practical qualities of vinyl in that it will be waterproof etc, but it will still be leather. Also, the antique leather versions are lined, unlike the NVT versions, and they have 2 really useful interior pockets. I've got the black A4 version, it's great I love it!:yahoo:

You're right, the red one is a gorgeous shade. But when we were at Bicester on Wednesday even my DH (who never really volunteers an opinion on bags unless pressed!) caught sight of it hanging on the wall and remarked how big it looked!:nuts:
Thanks for the suggestion, mulberryfloss, but I'm not a fan of antique leather. It's heavier than the vinyl, too, albeit lighter than the NVT. But yes, they're the same price which just baffles me.

Oh, it's ridiculously big - especially in the red which is so eyecatching :nuts: That's what made me think it would be reduced right down but, so far, it's the only one that hasn't been. The large size is a more comfortable fit on me, though; the straps on the regular size are a wee bit too short.

mulberryfloss

Jun 7, 2009
Not quite sure how the system works at the outlets but if it's been hanging around for a while, is it worth having a word with the manager and asking for a further discount? Sounds to me like he may be glad to see it go!:shrugs:

ditab

Mulberryaholic
O.G.
Dec 13, 2006
Not quite sure how the system works at the outlets but if it's been hanging around for a while, is it worth having a word with the manager and asking for a further discount? Sounds to me like he may be glad to see it go!:shrugs:
:lol: Got to be worth a try. Certainly, I've mentioned before that it's strange that the others are reduced and the red one isn't. They scanned it to check but the price was still the same :Push: Last time I went to Bicester, I actually went with the sole purpose of buying the vinyl tote. And came back with the Bayswater Clutch instead :lol:

mulberryfloss

Jun 7, 2009
Well if you don't ask, you don't get!! And it can't be good for business if regular customers see the same stock on display all the time. Give it a go - the worst he can say is No!:nogood:

ditab

Mulberryaholic
O.G.
Dec 13, 2006
Well if you don't ask, you don't get!! And it can't be good for business if regular customers see the same stock on display all the time. Give it a go - the worst he can say is No!:nogood:
Oh, that's a good point :thinking: It's been there since before January, definitely :yes: