Vintage LV CLUB !

Hello all, so glad I found this threat.

I have a very old Speedy 30. It was given to me by a woman who knew my granma, who apparently gave it to her in first place (how freaky is that).

It has the very early "made in the USA by permission of LV France". The "lock" is swiss made (talon?) and it has a leather strip on the outside bottom, which means both sides are upwards and also it does NOT sag.

I do believe LV bags were made of a better quality back in the day.

Hi folks,

I'm new to the club.

I bought my first LV's around 1989-1991

One was this bag - can anyone tell me the name of it? I used it as a briefcase years ago, now I hate to have it sitting on the shelf, so I use it as a bit large "Kelly Bag" style (shape reminds me of that)

What do the experts say? Who is she? I know the photos are somewhat duplicate, oh well, I am new to posting pics, too.

Attachments

• DSC00074.JPG
    DSC00074.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 3,141
  • DSC00075.JPG
    DSC00075.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 3,059
Hello all, so glad I found this threat.

I have a very old Speedy 30. It was given to me by a woman who knew my granma, who apparently gave it to her in first place (how freaky is that).

It has the very early "made in the USA by permission of LV France". The "lock" is swiss made (talon?) and it has a leather strip on the outside bottom, which means both sides are upwards and also it does NOT sag.

I do believe LV bags were made of a better quality back in the day.

Sounds like you got a "French Company" Speedy. In the eighties, LV comissioned The French Luggage Company to make bags and luggage for them for the US market. The French Luggage Company is still in business. Some interesting differences on the French Company products are the leather strip you mentioned and the different locks (Talon). Also, the French Company bags didn't have untreated cowhide (vachetta) leather. The leather was tinted honey color.

Hi folks,

I'm new to the club.

I bought my first LV's around 1989-1991

One was this bag - can anyone tell me the name of it? I used it as a briefcase years ago, now I hate to have it sitting on the shelf, so I use it as a bit large "Kelly Bag" style (shape reminds me of that)

What do the experts say? Who is she? I know the photos are somewhat duplicate, oh well, I am new to posting pics, too.

I believe this bag is called the Beverly Briefcase. Very nice.:tup:

Reactions: GucciLouisFendiOhMy
I believe this bag is called the Beverly Briefcase. Very nice.:tup:

---Ooh, Thank you! Now that I read it, that does sound familiar.

My only other vintage bag is my first LV ever, a Large Randonnee, purchased sometime in 1989.

I have sold off a lot of LV recently, but these two I would never sell. (sentimental value)

That's interesting info above regarding that The French Company Speedy bag. I've seen those 'different' looking ones, and didn't know where they fitted into the timeline, but now I see.

I own an 8yo Speedy 25, but am about to buy a Speedy 35 which is 20-30 years old. It has only 'SA' stamped upon an inside tab, and has no internal pocket. I've made some posts in the Authenticate thread on this bag, am still negotiating a price on it, but really love the idea of buying older LV. I love a good patina, and being a scruffy tomboyish sort anyway the brand new look just doesn't suit me. Actually, neither does the price tag, so I guess us vintage lovers win on both counts, right?!

Here are some of the seller's pics; even if I don't end up owning this baby, at least here's some eye candy. Oh, and I haven't bought this one yet, so feel free to hand out any thoughts/advice. Once I have bought it, of course, I'll be mortally offended if you guys don't like it! :lol:

speedy35base.jpg
speedy35corner.jpg
speedy35datestamp.jpg
speedy35handles.jpg
speedy35inside.jpg
speedy35label1.jpg
speedy35lock1.jpg
speedy351.jpg

And here's my old-ish Speedy 25, the bag which started my LV love for me. When I bought this, I did so mainly to see what was so good about LV, and what everyone went bonkoes over. I do love history in fashion, and I love items with a story, which was why I bought this.. but after it arrived, I fell head over heels in love. Now I want more.......... :nuts:

2ef0scd-1.jpg
6eb3scd.jpg

Luvly and grubby! :girlsigh:

As it didn't come with it's original one I've since bought an old lock, still open but without key, which was made in the same year as this bag. I've clipped it on now.

I've just been to the Datecode thread, and with my new-found knowledge have checked that Speedy 25 and found it was actually made in 1990! It's over 17 years old now - the datecode is SP0090, I'm assuming the 00 means January here.

Very cool! :wlae:

FrankieP >? Your speedy 35 looks just like mine, inside and out ! I am just about to give this speedy to my daughter who is going off to College this fall. My mom got this for me when I was in college because she said this one would hold many many books !! Second duty for her. lol