Vintage Kelly shoulder strap?

Mine is a 1959/1960 model that my grandmother gave me when she gave it to me there was no strap no lock and no clochette naturally it's black box and I had the accessories remade it took a while my grandmother now 78 says she remembers them making a strap as an option but that she just did not get it my aunt 75 ( I add the age as they may forget a few things,So they may forget and differ in their memory) my aunt has what I think is very vintage rouge H or burgundy box, she got it two years later and says she got the bag with a strap this bag still has it.
as you can see this is not a proper answer to your question but it may guide you a bit more because the Kelly has changed significantly over the years . But point is I think that the strap was first offered as a separate extra as was the zippered pocket at the very beginning. Hope it helps darling,birkel.

Ooooooo and just as question of my own as I'm looking for another vintage kelly and since grandmas got new hardware I'm asking if all vintage kellys came with both plaques marked with Hermes Paris made in France or was it just one as it is today?????? Thankyou best as always birkel.

Last edited:
Birkel, thanks for your reply. It's exactly the kind of info I was hoping for. I'm interested in possibly adding a vintage Kelly to my bag collection and want to make sure I know what I'm looking at/for. I'm sorry I don't know the info about the plaque marks however I'm sure on of the experts here will be able to tell us.

The strap is a relatively recent thing for Kellys, vintage Kellys do not feature this accessory. If you want a strap for your Kelly when you find it, you could always try ordering one at Hermes.

I bought my first Kelly in 1980 and it didn't come with a strap, it had to be bought separately! The next one I bought was in 1991 and that one did come with a strap, so it's between those 10/11 years that it changed!

I bought my first Kelly in 1980 and it didn't come with a strap, it had to be bought separately! The next one I bought was in 1991 and that one did come with a strap, so it's between those 10/11 years that it changed!

I wonder if straps came as standard for '90's Kellys or not, I have a 1992 Kelly that does not have a strap, but one never knows with Hermes!:P

Scarlett, you could also consider the canvas strap for your Kelly, those give a more ' casual/sporty' look to the Kelly and from what I understand from some of the ladies here, they are fab for shopping or for going out with children as it leaves your hands free.

I have checked with a good source and i was told it was available since the late 50,as an extra that was actually functional for the Kelly and for horse accessories that may be placed from the saddles that means it was a multipurpose strap Hermes offered but I'm thinking my grandmother was so right when she said hers came in a box and that was it ! Sooooooo I'm thinking it was just an option.

Last edited:
^Charm, I am definitely going to consider a canvas strap. The picture of Renee Z with her croc kelly from awhile back sold me on it. I plan to use the vintage Kelly casually. I actually have a BBK 28cm but I use it for a little dressier functions so I don't want it to get beat-up. I tried to see if I could order a canvas strap for my Bolide in October. My SA said she would check into it but hasn't gotten back to me. I love the shorter canvas strap that comes with the Kelly Amazone but I don't think they'l let me order that, believe me, I asked!

my vintage kelly is from 1946, which is one of the oldest I've seen... it still have glimmering full brass h/w no zipper pocket and came with clochette and lock (unless one of the sellers purchased these separately at some point but they look pretty old and worn so I think they came with the bag. It did not come with a strap I assumed that it had not yet been invented by H, since the bag was first produced in 1935

I wonder if straps came as standard for '90's Kellys or not, I have a 1992 Kelly that does not have a strap, but one never knows with Hermes!:P

Scarlett, you could also consider the canvas strap for your Kelly, those give a more ' casual/sporty' look to the Kelly and from what I understand from some of the ladies here, they are fab for shopping or for going out with children as it leaves your hands free.

I would have though they did, as I have both a Kelly from 1991 and another from 1992 , and they both came WITH the trap. Did you buy your '92 Kelly new from the store?

I just took my vintage Kelly28 croc (1950-60, no date stamp visible) to FSH to order a canvas shoulder strap. I was recommended to not use a shoulder strap with this bag, as it may actually cause damage and stress on the leather/scales. This model was not made to have a strap attached. Being vintage croc leather is was not worth the risk, I think.

^ i have similar sentiments about it, i haven't contacted the store regarding it but I just made the assumption that the bag was never created to hold the weight on those two rings (hence the new rings introduced later so I don't think it would be healthy for such an old bag too.

I don't really like the look of the s/s its just for the convenience

Honestly my vintage Kelly looks a bit odd with the shoulder strap besides you can totally tell they are from different periods but..... It does help especially when I'm with my little niece .