Vintage Kelly questions

azalea223

O.G.
Sep 25, 2007
I just bought a 32cm Rouge H Kelly from a highly reputable reseller. There are 2 blind stamp. One is a very clear G and the other a very faint "Z "or "7."...both blind stamp are without circle or square. I assume that the year stamp is one of these so either from 1951 or 1970.

Inside the bag there is no zippered compartment. It only has 2 open pockets against the panel with the toggle and 1 big open pocket that runs the length of the back panel.

Here are my questions:
1. I just want to ask if the kelly without a zippered compartment is consistent with kelly from 1951 or 1970.

2. Also the toggle is a bit loose, would anyone know how long it would take if I have hermes repair this.

3. There's a musty old house smell to the bag. Any idea on how I can take it out.

Thanks for all the help.

I just bought a 32cm Rouge H Kelly from a highly reputable reseller. There are 2 blind stamp. One is a very clear G and the other a very faint "Z "or "7."...both blind stamp are without circle or square. I assume that the year stamp is one of these so either from 1951 or 1970.

Inside the bag there is no zippered compartment. It only has 2 open pockets against the panel with the toggle and 1 big open pocket that runs the length of the back panel.

Here are my questions:
1. I just want to ask if the kelly without a zippered compartment is consistent with kelly from 1951 or 1970.

2. Also the toggle is a bit loose, would anyone know how long it would take if I have hermes repair this.

3. There's a musty old house smell to the bag. Any idea on how I can take it out.

Thanks for all the help.

1- YES
2- YES, Hermes will replace the toggle .
3- I think you could do asearch. There are threads about this topic.

congras on your vintage piece!

You can always call in a h to ask. Madison store in NYC has two craftmen there at your service!

Best of luck and carry her with good health.

Thanks for the advice xiaxiao. I don't live in the US but will definitely consider this option of calling NYC even if it's just to ask some questions.

As suggested by CobaltBlu on the authentication thread, i thought I'd post pics of my bag so that it can be a better reference for those who can help me with my questions.

Dressage Queen indicated in the authentication thread... http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes-shopping/authenticate-this-hermes-302467-226.html ...that an open pocket would indicate that the bag was from earlier than the 70's, I assume that with the G year stamp this bag is from 1951. She looks great for a 50's bag.

Thanks so much for those who have already given me great inputs and ideas.

Attachments

• 6 LORES.jpg
    6 LORES.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 343
  • 5 LORES.jpg
    5 LORES.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 258
  • 1 LORES.jpg
    1 LORES.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 178
  • 4 LORES.jpg
    4 LORES.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 188
  • 3 LORES.jpg
    3 LORES.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 183
Fantastic PHOTOS!!!!!!
What a lovely bag.

That is brass HW. How gorgeous!!!

What does the embossed stamp say? May we see that (above the turnlock)?

Last edited:
hmm, well now i'm wondering whether i may be wrong - i think the "made in france" part of the stamp was added in the 70's. i also thought the hermes over the paris on the plates was from earlier than the 70's.

so i guess i haven't helped at all, lol!

Last edited:
Fantastic PHOTOS!!!!!!
What a lovely bag.

That is brass HW. How gorgeous!!!

What does the embossed stamp say? May we see that (above the turnlock)?

Thanks Cobaltblu for confirming it's brass. The bag is beautiful in person. She doesn't look 57 years old at all. Thinking she was from the 1970, I already thought she was in such a good condition. Now that it seems she's from 1951, i am even more amazed at the condition of the bag and it's leather.

hmm, well now i'm wondering whether i may be wrong - i think the "made in france" part of the stamp was added in the 70's. thought i also thought the hermes over the paris on the plates was from earlier than the 70's.

I don't know if this info may help. The bag came with a leather strap. The year stamp on the strap is a c with a circle. Do you think the made in france was added later on?

I have seen bags with 'made in France' way earlier than the 70s. My guess is that the ones that were dedicated for export got the 'made in France' stamp and that later in the 70s it became commonplace for all bags.

hmm, well now i'm wondering whether i may be wrong - i think the "made in france" part of the stamp was added in the 70's. i also thought the hermes over the paris on the plates was from earlier than the 70's.

That is interesting, stamping for export makes sense.
I have a bag with the stamp
Hermes . Paris
24.Fg St Honore
Made in France
and it was confirmed that the bag was made in the 50s and the 'made in France' is original, not added like if the bag had had repair work in France and then shipped back to the US. I have a 24 Fg. bag with an added MIF after repair work done in Fr.
I have a very clear letter on my 50s bag but was told it was not dated by that. The letter on the bag does not reflect the date I was given.