Vintage Kelly or Vintage Classic Flap?

Vintage Kelly or Vintage Classic Flap?

• Total voters

ozorezanitako

Jun 10, 2020
Hi all,

So recently I sold my CF Jumbo in caviar leather for some extra cash, and looking to replace it.
I'm looking to get a Vintage purse, and the choice is between the vintage "Kelly" or the vintage CF in lambskin and GHW.
I inserted pictures of both items here (for reference only, not the actual ones).

I really like caviar leather because it is so fuss-free and easy to maintain, plus the particular Kelly bag that I found is in great condition!
Really structured, with shiny CC turn lock and virtually no signs of wear.
I plan to add a chain strap to this because I'm just a crossbody kind of girl haha (and need to be hands-free at times).
However, the size of this Kelly is jumbo, so it is on the bigger size, and I'm not sure if I like that.

On the other hand, one could hardly go wrong with a well-made vintage classic flap.
The one I found is in size medium, which is perfect for me.
There are some signs of wear but nothing too bad, and the price is reasonable.
But I'm aware that lambskin will need to be baby-ed more for sure, plus it is an aged vintage piece that is less than perfect.

If you own any of these bags, could you please share some thoughts on it?
Which one should I go for?
Fyi, they cost around the same from the retailers I found (the Kelly comes in full set, the CF has hologram sticker but not the card).

caviar kelly.jpg vintage cf.jpg

THANK YOU!

• Love
Reactions: 880

30th anniversary cuff
O.G.
Aug 31, 2008
I like the look of the top handle kelly style, but I would wear it handheld bc I’d worry that the chain would wear on the handle worn crossbody. Plus I’m tired of small bags and find that fashion wise the pendulum is swinging back, so if you can rock a big bag, then go for it.

but, I’m not a fan of the CF as I am a reissue person. . . I think the reissue also looks better crossbody than the CF. JMO though!

both are beautiful bags. I owned a lot of Chanel lamb skin bags pre 2008 before I switched to H, and I found lamb skin to be durable and luxurious. Very tactile. I never had the issues of peeling etc., even with metallics, and I do not baby my bags. I have a new so chevron mini reissue which also has been pretty durable. So I wouldn’t be worried about lambsjin. Ymmv.

Reactions: ozorezanitako

sydsunshine

Jan 29, 2018
The handheld top handle bag is a bit of a pain. You may gravitate to shoulder or crossbody bags when you get older, so for myself I would get the CF.

ozorezanitako

Jun 10, 2020
I like the look of the top handle kelly style, but I would wear it handheld bc I’d worry that the chain would wear on the handle worn crossbody. Plus I’m tired of small bags and find that fashion wise the pendulum is swinging back, so if you can rock a big bag, then go for it.

but, I’m not a fan of the CF as I am a reissue person. . . I think the reissue also looks better crossbody than the CF. JMO though!

both are beautiful bags. I owned a lot of Chanel lamb skin bags pre 2008 before I switched to H, and I found lamb skin to be durable and luxurious. Very tactile. I never had the issues of peeling etc., even with metallics, and I do not baby my bags. I have a new so chevron mini reissue which also has been pretty durable. So I wouldn’t be worried about lambsjin. Ymmv.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I like that I can fit a lot of stuffs in the Kelly, but after much research, it seems like the medium Kelly would be the perfect size for me, and it's gonna look more proportionate on my fit. However, they're much harder to come by, so I might take my time until I find the right bag. The CF medium is beauuutiful, and good to know the durability of the lambskin, but I'm aware storage wise it would be super limited by the double flap.

• Love

ozorezanitako

Jun 10, 2020
The handheld top handle bag is a bit of a pain. You may gravitate to shoulder or crossbody bags when you get older, so for myself I would get the CF.
Yeah... I imagine the hassle of trying to reach for my wallet inside the bag while having it hanging on the crook of my arm, flap open... Ahh.

• Love

cdxrayqt

May 10, 2016
My vote would actually be either the CF in caviar or possibly a caviar single flap jumbo if you want the same amount of interior space as the Kelly? I have owned both of the bags you mentioned. I was not happy with delicate lambskin CF because the scratches, peeling, and wear & tear drove me crazy so I sold it. I actually just sold my Caviar Kelly with SHW to Fashionphile. It is beautiful but you absolutely cannot attach a chain strap without damaging the bag. The loops where the top handle attaches are sewn tight to the top of the flap and there is no gap around the metal. I originally purchased it with the same intention. I am not a top handle bag person so I never carried it and it was just collecting dust in my closet. Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Last edited:

ozorezanitako

Jun 10, 2020
My vote would actually be either the CF in caviar or possibly a caviar single flap jumbo if you want the same amount of interior space as the Kelly? I have owned both of the bags you mentioned. I was not happy with delicate lambskin CF because the scratches, peeling, and wear & tear drove me crazy so I sold it. I actually just sold my Caviar Kelly with SHW to Fashionphile. It is beautiful but you absolutely cannot attach a chain strap without damaging the bag. The loops where the top handle attaches are sewn tight to the top of the flap and there is no gap around the metal. I originally purchased it with the same intention. I am not a top handle bag person so I never carried it and it was just collecting dust in my closet.
Thank you for the great insight!
I quickly figured out that I'm not a top handle bag (without the strap option) kinda person either, so as beautiful as the Kelly is, I don't think I'm getting that for now.
I'm also bothered by the jumbo size.
Might add that to the collection if I manage to find a medium Kelly for a decent price.
As for the caviar CF, it is so hard to find vintage :sad:
I needed extra cash so I sold my Jumbo CF in caviar, and planning to replace it with a cheaper vintage option.

Reactions: cdxrayqt

cdxrayqt

May 10, 2016
Thank you for the great insight!
I quickly figured out that I'm not a top handle bag (without the strap option) kinda person either, so as beautiful as the Kelly is, I don't think I'm getting that for now.
I'm also bothered by the jumbo size.
Might add that to the collection if I manage to find a medium Kelly for a decent price.
As for the caviar CF, it is so hard to find vintage :sad:
I needed extra cash so I sold my Jumbo CF in caviar, and planning to replace it with a cheaper vintage option.
Happy to help! You were smart to figure out you are not a top handle person ahead of time! I had to buy an LV Alma PM & a Chanel Kelly before I figured it out and ended up selling both. I finally realized that I can appreciate the beauty of top handle bags but if they’re not functional for me, it’s just a waste of money. I wish you the best of luck in your search and I understand how hard it is to be patient while waiting to find your perfect bag but you will and it will be worth it. :smile: I made a lot of expensive mistakes in the beginning of my purse journey by settling for things I didn’t want that I thought I could live with and ultimately sold all of those bags at a loss. I have finally curated my collection and am much more selective about my future bag purchases due to those hard learned lessons, haha!