Vintage Kelly handle and stitching repairs cost question

BlkLadyLaw

Hautelegaldiva
O.G.
Apr 11, 2006
I have a BBK from 1966 that I got in mid 2009. Two and a half years since purchase and I have only had her in my possession for about 2 or 3 months total during that time!

I took it in and it was sent to NY for a new handle and general spa. That took about 6 months and was $500. I thought as part of the service they were going to handle all repairs but when I got it back I noticed that there was some restitching/new leather needed on the leather part that attaches to the ring that connects the new handle. At this point I had had the bag for over a year and had not gotten to carry it yet and it looked sound enough to carry so I took her out to an event and used a canvas strap and the leather split where the handle attaches to the bag and the bag fell off my shoulder. Needless to say it became a clutch for the rest of the evening. I happened to be in NYC not to long afterwards and I asked Claude and he remembered the bag. I asked why all the necessary repairs were not done and he said the cost was expensive so they just added a new handle and spruced her up. I wish someone had called me to ask me if I wouldn't mind the additional repairs as I would have rather just had them done at the same time versus further delays in getting to use my bag.

Well I took the bag back in to Hermes in Vienna/Tysons Corner, VA and another 6 months later they called to say it needed to go to Paris and would be $1500 and another several months. Does that sound right just for the repair of the 1-2 inch leather piece that attaches the top of the Kelly to the ring that holds the handle?

I would send it to Doc. She is a purse forum member....highly respected.
She repairs/refurbishes beautifully. Read a few of her threads.
Her screen name is doc rides...with no space. My iPad keeps correcting the spelling!!

I would send it to Doc. She is a purse forum member....highly respected.
She repairs/refurbishes beautifully. Read a few of her threads.
Her screen name is doc rides...with no space. My iPad keeps correcting the spelling!!

Yes I am very familiar with Doc's fabulous work. I actually forgot about that option at the time...particularly since this was a stitching job...I thought she just did dye and polishing/conditioning work. I already gave the blessing to ship it to Paris, I was just wondering if anyone else has had this done and if the price sounded right. It just seemed odd for that lil tab of leather but I guess it is Hermes! Thank goodness I got the bag for a steal with all these repair costs.

Yes I am very familiar with Doc's fabulous work. I actually forgot about that option at the time...particularly since this was a stitching job...I thought she just did dye and polishing/conditioning work. I already gave the blessing to ship it to Paris, I was just wondering if anyone else has had this done and if the price sounded right. It just seemed odd for that lil tab of leather but I guess it is Hermes! Thank goodness I got the bag for a steal with all these repair costs.

I think you summed it up. It is Hermes and everything is expensive. I know that feeling of being between a rock and a hard place when it comes to any type of repair. You do it... because...

gracekelly said:
I think you summed it up. It is Hermes and everything is expensive. I know that feeling of being between a rock and a hard place when it comes to any type of repair. You do it... because...

Yup. I'm cringing to know how much it'll cost to repair the broken turnlock on my Kelly wallet. And how long it will take. But can't use the wallet without the turnlock.

BLL, here's hoping you eventually get to wear your Kelly again!

Yup. I'm cringing to know how much it'll cost to repair the broken turnlock on my Kelly wallet. And how long it will take. But can't use the wallet without the turnlock.

BLL, here's hoping you eventually get to wear your Kelly again!

Didn't someone just do this on a bag and it was about $250?

I had my croc bag repaired recently. It wasn't a Hermes bag but it was a Morabito bag - in France Morabito is very well respected and famous for croc bags. Took the bag to their shop on St Honore, 5 mins away from Hermes on the same street.

I think they changed the little bits that are attached to the rings just like the Kelly bag with porosus croc skins and it cost me about 150 euros I think including a bit of polish work. 2 days job they said. 1500 sounds like an awful lot of price for the job but then again it is Hermes!!

I think they may be replacing the leather tabs and the rings on both sides. Since this is an older bag, it might be difficult to match the leather and the thread. Of course the cost sounds excessive, but what else is new about this brand?

You must feel good knowing that your bag is being repaired..and by Hermes.
I would feel frustrated that they did not mention the additional repair the first time..especially since they had your bag already. While it is so hard to wait, at least you can look forward to your restored bag.
Re the cost-yes, it seems steep but at least you got the bag for a good price.
Take care,
TGG

QUOTE=BlkLadyLaw;20541538]Yes I am very familiar with Doc's fabulous work. I actually forgot about that option at the time...particularly since this was a stitching job...I thought she just did dye and polishing/conditioning work. I already gave the blessing to ship it to Paris, I was just wondering if anyone else has had this done and if the price sounded right. It just seemed odd for that lil tab of leather but I guess it is Hermes! Thank goodness I got the bag for a steal with all these repair costs.[/QUOTE]

I have a BBK from 1966 that I got in mid 2009. Two and a half years since purchase and I have only had her in my possession for about 2 or 3 months total during that time!

I took it in and it was sent to NY for a new handle and general spa. That took about 6 months and was $500. I thought as part of the service they were going to handle all repairs but when I got it back I noticed that there was some restitching/new leather needed on the leather part that attaches to the ring that connects the new handle. At this point I had had the bag for over a year and had not gotten to carry it yet and it looked sound enough to carry so I took her out to an event and used a canvas strap and the leather split where the handle attaches to the bag and the bag fell off my shoulder. Needless to say it became a clutch for the rest of the evening. I happened to be in NYC not to long afterwards and I asked Claude and he remembered the bag. I asked why all the necessary repairs were not done and he said the cost was expensive so they just added a new handle and spruced her up. I wish someone had called me to ask me if I wouldn't mind the additional repairs as I would have rather just had them done at the same time versus further delays in getting to use my bag.

Well I took the bag back in to Hermes in Vienna/Tysons Corner, VA and another 6 months later they called to say it needed to go to Paris and would be $1500 and another several months. Does that sound right just for the repair of the 1-2 inch leather piece that attaches the top of the Kelly to the ring that holds the handle?

I paid over $100 usd on my wallet when one or two stitches popped out. No replacement just straight stitching!:faint:So I guess for a handle I guess any price is possible:shrugs:

My bearn compact had a small bit of leather that was "torn" off where the credit cards sit.

I was quoted about $1k to have that fixed by Paris. My SM said send it back! :lol: And advised me to buy another wallet. :P

So yes, the repair prices can be excessive!

I just want to pipe in here, the main problem with repairing the handle base pads as well is that the entire top flap must be opened up in order to remove and replace new handle base pads...and then the entire top flap must be restitched..see? I hope that helps... I agree the price is quite high and it's frustrating to have to wait for yet another set of repairs. I think in general it's always a bit tough when doing that sort of repair on a vintage bag which may crack and break under the stress of the repair process.

Last edited: