VINTAGE KELLY BAGS? or older beaten up ones? anyone

I wouldn't buy the bag because the seller was so rude and when I came to think about 2000 dollars..It was too much for little me. She wrote that she bought in 2008 in Paris, vintage. The missing strap is a big no no.

I was also asking on a general note. So thank you for lession and I truly believe it will be my bible when I am finished with my education. :flowers: Thnx!

Last edited:
Wow, if the seller was rude before you bought the bag you can be sure she would not have been very nice if there was any dispute so IMO you did the right thing :coolio:

Many older vintage Kellys will come up and one of them will be your one day ;)

aldri pass :shrugs:,

og glad østlig :flowers:

Not sure if my baby qualifies as "vintage" from 1991, but I'll put her up anyway, as she looks after her spa treatment.

I am getting my first Kelly. I have been working up to one. I like the "vintage" bags and/or bags they do not make any more. Love the Vespa, Tsako, herbag, and I have a BB Jige fro the 80's that is absolutely beautiful.
So, I am going with a 32 Dark Green Box Kelly Retourne!!!
I love the look of the deep rich green and can be worn just like black.
It is from the 90's. Glad I read this thread....I am even more excited.

Everyones bags are GORG!!!

thenurse

First check it's the right size for you then check it has all its bits pieces (replacing can be costly)

I think there's a HUGE difference beween a few scratches/scuff/dirt and structural damage.

I wouldn't buy a house that I couldn't live in and I wouldn't buy a bag that I couldn't use. If it's just a question of cosmetic repair that spa treatment could cover, fair enough. If it's cracking leather past the point of no return or torn leather etc then I wouldn't even make an offer.

Therefore there are 3 price points

1. Sound bag but aesthetically challanged - offer what you can comfortably afford but keep some Norwegian Krone back for a spa treatment

2. Sound bag, needs TLC and bits missing (like shoulder stap etc) - offer as above but minus what ever it costs to replace missing parts

3. Bag that has any leather torn, deeply cracked, handle broken, perished leather etc I would not make an offer.

The bag in the pick looks like 1 or 2 but I would ask the seller to outline exactly what they mean (from what you say it sounds so vague).

Like any bag, outline what you think is acceptable and what is not before you pay and make it clear that you will not accept/return a bag that crosses the line between.

The actual figure that you pay the seller is what ever you think it's worth and what the seller will accept.

Good luck!

Great advice!

I am getting my first Kelly. I have been working up to one. I like the "vintage" bags and/or bags they do not make any more. Love the Vespa, Tsako, herbag, and I have a BB Jige fro the 80's that is absolutely beautiful.
So, I am going with a 32 Dark Green Box Kelly Retourne!!!
I love the look of the deep rich green and can be worn just like black.
It is from the 90's. Glad I read this thread....I am even more excited.

Everyones bags are GORG!!!

I love deep dark rich green Hermes bags and I I LOVE Kelly retourne.
Hope to see photos of your Kelly :smile:

I prefer vintage to new. I have two, one is a 28cm Chevre de Cormandel (1992) and the most recent is 28cm Rouge Vif(?) Box calf (1980), which I just paid $4000 for in pristine condition. It is missing the shoulder strap. Both bags were purchased from Duet in Livingston, NJ. Hate my IPhone, it always takes blurry photos!

Attachments

• Rouge Kelly 1.jpg
    Rouge Kelly 1.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 557
  • Kelly Family.jpg
    Kelly Family.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 547
Last edited:
Reactions: LaBoheme
My most favorite bags are two ancient (not that ancient, but old enough) Kellys: one 1971 BBK and a brown Box Kelly from 1975. The black kelly is a 28 and is a beauty, but was a bit dry when I got it. Off the to spa and voila, perfect. The brown, a 35, has been around the block a few times, but I cannot bring myself to spa it just yet, because she just sits and looks so perfect with her shining patina and faintly worn corners. Next to my green box kelly, 10 years old with a great patina these are my special ladies. My other bags can't hold a candle to these gals.
They don't get beaten up. None of my bags get beaten up unless they fight with each other at night in the closet, LOL.
It's really hard to beat up any hand bag, especially a well-built, well-thought-out bag in category like Hermes.