VINTAGE KELLY BAGS? or older beaten up ones? anyone

I am a newbie. I found an old handbag at a goodwill shop. It looks so much like a kelly bag. It is made in real ostrich, all sides are finished and the interior is leather. It does not have a mark I can see and after searching the threads I don't think it is a real Hermes because the tips on the ends of the strap (that goes around) are double sided. Was this ever an option? Also inside it says Genuine Leather Made in Italy(2 lines). It is an extremely well made bag. I would say from the 50s or 60s. thanks

lets have a look at the photo....;) of your marvelous find

I love my vintage kellys! I prefer them over my new ones!

1959 black box 32 cm retourne kelly
ry%3D400

1970 navy blue 28cm box kelly
ry%3D400

1989 rouge vif box 28cm
ry%3D400

35 cm 1975 brown box rigide kelly
ry%3D400

goodness - stop hoarding all the good vintage stuff!:graucho:

I dont think that vintage kelly bags have to be trainwrecks or old beaten bags. I have a combination of both new Kelly bags and vintage and you can hardly tell which is the vintage.

Some of these bags are from the 60s, 70s, and 80s, and 90's along with some from 03-07! Can you tell which?? They are all in very nice condition. H bags last a lifetime if you take proper care of them!

ry%3D400

Last edited:
thanks for the quick response. It is hard to believe some company would go to all the expense. Every other detail, including the stitching, the waxing, just to mention a few details. Just the 2 sided metal tips looked odd; I even removed one to see if there was a mark. There was possibly a faint mark but it was probably nothing. It was still worth buying. ($20)

It sounds like you have a lovely new bag at a fantastic price. Gosh that's a good price for *any* ostrich.

I dont think that vintage kelly bags have to be trainwrecks or old beaten bags. I have a combination of both new Kelly bags and vintage and you can hardly tell which is the vintage.

Some of these bags are from the 60s, 70s, and 80s, and 90's along with some from 03-07! Can you tell which?? They are all in very nice condition. H bags last a lifetime if you take proper care of them!

ry%3D400

now that is a sight to behold! beutiful - do you use them on a daily basis?:smile:

plilippé;13203356 said:
lets have a look at the photo....;) of your marvelous find
Hi all, I keep lookng at all the fabulous pictures of the kelly bags. So great. I will post pictures of my find as soon as I return home. I think it is so interesting. It looks so much like the older bags even the inside with one zipper pocket(ykk) and one without, black wax on edges. Someone went to a lot of trouble to make this look real!:biggrin: I have really learned so much.
Thanks for asking!

^^^Thank you! She is the jewel of my collection.

I have no idea if I get admiring glances. Too busy admiring her myself, LOL! And I am sure most people have no idea what she is.

But carrying her feels unbelievably good, like having a precious secret.