Vintage keep or return

Lvnglife

Jan 6, 2013
Hi ladies,
I bought a vintage flap but I just received it today and it has a pretty strong odor... Can't quite describe it but it irritated me.... Anyhow I was wondering how to go about returning it... Have any of you have any problems with returns? I got it from a reputable seller on ebay.

Please share your experiences thanks :smile:

I always ask abt odor when buying vintage..so make sure you ask next time just incase.. odors in vintage bags are pretty much impossible to remove so I would return instead of trying a million ways to remove it.. but yeah.. if they didn't state it in the listing I would Ask nicely for a return due to the odor on the bag not being described. Good luck to you :smile:

I always ask abt odor when buying vintage..so make sure you ask next time just incase.. odors in vintage bags are pretty much impossible to remove so I would return instead of trying a million ways to remove it.. but yeah.. if they didn't state it in the listing I would Ask nicely for a return due to the odor on the bag not being described. Good luck to you :smile:

Thanks, sorry forgot to mention that I did ask and she said that it had no odors.... Just kinda nervous since sometimes some sellers give you a hard time and there is a return policy so I guess it should be fine to return. Just so sad that I have to let it go.....I was thinking of how to get rid of the odor but like you said it would be pretty impossible to remove...

Has anyone have had any luck with vintage without any odors?

You can try Lovinmybags' odor remover (they call them candies). I haven't tried them yet so maybe do a search on tPF to see if they work. If you really love the bag, I would contact them to see if they can do anything to help alleviate it at their bag spa. I have a 2006 Balanciaga that has an odor and I'm considering sending it in.

Hi ladies,
I bought a vintage flap but I just received it today and it has a pretty strong odor... Can't quite describe it but it irritated me.... Anyhow I was wondering how to go about returning it... Have any of you have any problems with returns? I got it from a reputable seller on ebay.

Please share your experiences thanks :smile:

What kind of an odor is it? Is it musty like mold? Is it a fragrance? Is it the leather or a leather cleaner or other chemical type odor? Have you aired the bag out at all to see if it dissipates?

What kind of an odor is it? Is it musty like mold? Is it a fragrance? Is it the leather or a leather cleaner or other chemical type odor? Have you aired the bag out at all to see if it dissipates?
It doesn't smell like mold and I am not sure if it is just a vintage smell or some sort of chemical.... I will air it out tonight and see how it does.... Yes definitely some
type of chemical... Reminds me of O-chem lab!

If it doesn't get better in the morning I will definitely return it.

You can try Lovinmybags' odor remover (they call them candies). I haven't tried them yet so maybe do a search on tPF to see if they work. If you really love the bag, I would contact them to see if they can do anything to help alleviate it at their bag spa. I have a 2006 Balanciaga that has an odor and I'm considering sending it in.
Thanks for the suggestion I will keep that in mind if I decide to keep it.

It doesn't smell like mold and I am not sure if it is just a vintage smell or some sort of chemical.... I will air it out tonight and see how it does.... Yes definitely some
type of chemical... Reminds me of O-chem lab!

If it doesn't get better in the morning I will definitely return it.

I would let the seller know that it has some kind of an odor, and that you are going to air it out for a couple of days (you can't send it back on a Sunday anyway, and you might want to give it a day or so to air it out) and that way she knows you have a potential issue, but that you are working to see if it resolves. It might be a cleaner or such that was used on the bag, and if so, this will dissipate over time and airing. The one to worry about would be mold or musty smells, as those are very hard to get rid of, but since it's not that, I think you are in better shape for it resolving. If it were me, I'd give it a shot. Bags are organic ;).

U need to air it our a lot ... I once bought a vintage Gucci bag from a nasty dishonest seller... Had some weird smell... (The bag he sent wasn't even one he listed for sale)

The smell went away after airing it and leaving out in sun...

U need to air it our a lot ... I once bought a vintage Gucci bag from a nasty dishonest seller... Had some weird smell... (The bag he sent wasn't even one he listed for sale)

The smell went away after airing it and leaving out in sun...
Thanks for all the suggestions since i do want this so much I decided to try and air it out and also try to find things to help absorb odor.... So far the odor has lessened just a little.... I will give it a few more days.

I completely forgot to update about what happened.... I was able to lessen the odor but I just couldn't stand it. I have a really sensitive sense of smell... My cousin ended up wanting it so just sold it to her for same cost! Yay, hope I find another vintage....

I completely forgot to update about what happened.... I was able to lessen the odor but I just couldn't stand it. I have a really sensitive sense of smell... My cousin ended up wanting it so just sold it to her for same cost! Yay, hope I find another vintage....

Keep looking and you will find your dream vintage bag without the odor! Just be sure to ask a lot of questions about this, and consider where the bag comes from (is it a humidity prone area, does it rain a lot there, etc.). :smile: