Vintage Hermes: Some Years Easier to Find Than Others

Hi all! I've decided to take on 2018 as the year to crack down on some mega wish list pieces. At the very top of my list is an Hermes Constance 23 in Black Box leather from 1994 (it would be my first!).

While hunting down the perfect bag on almost every second-hand and vintage website you could imagine (haven't really had the chance to visit many vintage shops in person), it seems to me like some years and or decades are much easier to find than others. I've seen so many Constance bags for sale (from reputable, authenticated sellers) from the 1970s and 1980s, but it's so hard to come across them from the 1990s! And it's not just Constance 23 bags, all sizes seem so scarce from the 1990s. It may seem like an obvious question, but has anyone else encountered this while searching for vintage bags? Any possible explanations?

The only thing that occurs to me is that maybe people who purchased their bags in the 90s aren't quite ready to let them go just yet (and understandably so!). It's just made my search all the more difficult lol!

I'm pretty sure there was a drop in production from the 90s and then Constances was not in the collection (i.e. not produced or offered for order) for quite while. It's only made a comeback in larger numbers recently.

Totally on-pointe

Pretty sure the Constance was designed 1969 and was very popular with the modernist 1970s and logo-filled, status-fed '80s. The 1990s saw the logo dwindle as the decade progressed (no buttons or CCs on Chanel couture around the Millennium at all).

When I first stated going into H to buy for myself (late 00s) I could buy a vintage Constance at a low price as it wasn't a sought after bag style. Now I'm thinking about it, perhaps it wasn't available new (or limited - check old threads) so was only available as vintage. People 'get into' models that are current (even vintage) because others may think they're new... hard to explain but, well, you all know what I mean ;)

Totally on-pointe

Pretty sure the Constance was designed 1969 and was very popular with the modernist 1970s and logo-filled, status-fed '80s. The 1990s saw the logo dwindle as the decade progressed (no buttons or CCs on Chanel couture around the Millennium at all).

When I first stated going into H to buy for myself (late 00s) I could buy a vintage Constance at a low price as it wasn't a sought after bag style. Now I'm thinking about it, perhaps it wasn't available so was only available as vintage. People 'get into' models that are current (even vintage) because others may think they're new... hard to explain but, well, you all know what I mean ;)

My first SA, whose only job has ever been with Hermes, tells of the days she had these sat on the shelves for sale. I was too young then but I love them now and I would buy new or vintage. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Always appreciated!

My first SA, whose only job has ever been with Hermes, tells of the days she had these sat on the shelves for sale. I was too young then but I love them now and I would buy new or vintage. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Always appreciated!
Well that gives me some hope! I've seen some Constance 23's from 1994 floating around (sold before I could get them, of course!) but I never knew the history behind the drop in production. Thanks!

Reactions: periogirl28
thanks for this interesting topic. I like vintage H but more into finding models or leather not easy to come by. Now that I read about the production year; will be curious to validate in my treasure hunt

Totally on-pointe

When I first stated going into H to buy for myself (late 00s) I could buy a vintage Constance at a low price as it wasn't a sought after bag style. Now I'm thinking about it, perhaps it wasn't available new (or limited - check old threads) so was only available as vintage. People 'get into' models that are current (even vintage) because others may think they're new... hard to explain but, well, you all know what I mean ;)
Interesting - thanks for sharing!

Reactions: papertiger
yes i do remember going into H with my mum in the 80s and can vividly remember seeing constance bags being on the shelves , i was very little then. how time flies

Reactions: periogirl28