Vintage flaps - what is the lifespan?

lkerin

Dec 2, 2021
I'm interested in getting a classic flap one day in my life and owning it for my entire life. Based on this forum, everyone always recommends vintage flaps! However I'm curious to get ppl's thoughts!

This question more pertains to bags pre 2000, circa 80's and 90's. How long realistically will a leather last for before it degrades just naturally overtime? Including the stitching on the bag and the stamping.
Say you find a pristine condition or excellent vintage bag, will it last for a while without repairs or is that inevitable? For example I can see a 80's or 90's bag look great now but what about another 30 years (so 60 years in total)? Will it last or is it better to buy a new classic flap or 2010's bag and wear it and own for 30 years?

I really think it depends on how the vintage bags were taken care of over time. I've seen vintage flaps that are literally flaking apart on the inside, but that's probably because of how it was stored, the weather climate it was in, what was put in the bag throughout the years, etc. I have a 0-series mini and the leather feels like butter, but the hardware shows some wear. Overall the condition is very good for the bag being in its mid-30s. It's definitely a higher quality Chanel than what gets made today, IMO. Out of the 5 Chanel bags I own, 4 of them are pre-2008. The 2016 flap shows the same plating wear as the 0-series despite being 30 years newer and the leather feels tougher.

I think it wildly depends on how well it was taken care of. The one vintage bag I have is something that I got from my grandma sixteen years ago which was probably twenty to twenty-five years old at the time. It was in beautiful condition when I received it, but it looks pretty beat up now which I don't mind. I am not a fan of vintage at all, I think it looks kind of sad usually. But since this bag has sentimental value for me, I love it even in its state of disrepair. I'd like to think that my grandma knew how chaotic I am though and that I got to enjoy it more than she did because she worried about it way more than I did.

So that was a long answer to say that vintage isn't indestructible and it's condition largely depends on the care it received over the years.

This is why I'm so torn! I fully agree the older ones were made with better care and quality but I am worried it might look aged with another 30 years on top of it. And it's so hard to find vintage caviar pieces.

Does anyone know when the first caviar classic flap came out?

Last edited:
In 2016 I purchased a Jumbo Caviar Classic Double Flap and an Urban Spirit backpack. While the backpack still looks good as I take pristine care of my bags the Classic Flap looks perfect. I think no matter what others say the Classic Flaps are still well made, the seasonal bags less so. I would find your perfect bag in store and take great care of it, you will have it for years!

I’m wondering if anyone has knowledge of “blow powder” or the interior that is attached to the quilting disintegrating and coming thru the lining? I just purchased a belt bag from early 90s from VC and it has this issue. Wondering if there is a way to fix?

Leather is a natural product that lasts practically forever if handled correctly - it's not like some crispbread out of a sudden :biggrin:
However, the prerequisite is the proper care of the leather so that it remains beautiful, durable and free from fungal infestation etc.

I'm interested in getting a classic flap one day in my life and owning it for my entire life. Based on this forum, everyone always recommends vintage flaps! However I'm curious to get ppl's thoughts!

This question more pertains to bags pre 2000, circa 80's and 90's. How long realistically will a leather last for before it degrades just naturally overtime? Including the stitching on the bag and the stamping.
Say you find a pristine condition or excellent vintage bag, will it last for a while without repairs or is that inevitable? For example I can see a 80's or 90's bag look great now but what about another 30 years (so 60 years in total)? Will it last or is it better to buy a new classic flap or 2010's bag and wear it and own for 30 years?
I guess it depends on how well those bags kept by the pervious owners, I had quite some vintage lambskin leather Chanel flaps, totes etc from 90s or 80s, and 2000's, all of them were super good condition, and surprisingly those lambskin leather seems more durable than the new era lambskin leather, they did not shown wear as easily as the new bags do, I don't understand why.

I have 0-series double flap so the bag is made around 1988 and it's hard to believe that the bag is about 35 years old. I had mini flap made in 2020 and the leather was not the same.. I felt it was much more prone scratches.. and so I sold the mini

Someone told she's having a chanel belt bag from the 80s and there's powder coming out of it. That problem is typical for the vintage belt bags! Chanel used some inner material in those and over the years the material went hard and cracked to powder, and then its coming out of the stitchings.. Classic flaps do not have that kind of material nor that kind of problem.

What comes to the Chanel pricing, I wouldn't pay the prices of these days.. but that's only my opinion

I have 0-series double flap so the bag is made around 1988 and it's hard to believe that the bag is about 35 years old. I had mini flap made in 2020 and the leather was not the same.. I felt it was much more prone scratches.. and so I sold the mini

Someone told she's having a chanel belt bag from the 80s and there's powder coming out of it. That problem is typical for the vintage belt bags! Chanel used some inner material in those and over the years the material went hard and cracked to powder, and then its coming out of the stitchings.. Classic flaps do not have that kind of material nor that kind of problem.

What comes to the Chanel pricing, I wouldn't pay the prices of these days.. but that's only my opinion
Wow an 0 series! That's amazing!

I do like the vintage cc's with the flat logos. But still so torn! Thanks for the input

Vintage classics in pristine or excellent condition will cost about the same as a new bag from the store. Personally, I don’t see a significant difference in quality between the two. For that reason, I wouldn’t pay a premium for a bag that’s been sitting in someone’s closet for 30 years. I also wouldn’t pay 5-7k for a used bag that shows signs of wear, loss of shape, etc. It really is a matter of personal preference.

I’m wondering if anyone has knowledge of “blow powder” or the interior that is attached to the quilting disintegrating and coming thru the lining? I just purchased a belt bag from early 90s from VC and it has this issue. Wondering if there is a way to fix?
Hi, did you ever find a solution to this problem? I'm experiencing the same thing.