Vintage Fan Clutch: Cool or not cool?

couture*genes

Jan 27, 2009
I thought I was the luckiest girl ever when I found this fan clutch on Real Real last year. It just struck me as deeply chic. But now I'm having second thoughts... maybe because I'm fixating on the elongated clutches in grosgrain this spring.

What do we think? Cool? Or dated?
IMG_1489408010.601240.jpgIMG_1489408027.508534.jpg

I love it. I think the fan shape of it gives off a bit of an Asian vibe which I think is really cool. On the other hand, it also resembles a taco to me. And I love the way the the pattern curves around it. It looks versatile to me. As LLANeedle says, it can be dressed up or down.

I thought I was the luckiest girl ever when I found this fan clutch on Real Real last year. It just struck me as deeply chic. But now I'm having second thoughts... maybe because I'm fixating on the elongated clutches in grosgrain this spring.

What do we think? Cool? Or dated?
View attachment 3632145View attachment 3632146
There are tons of elongated /east-west clutches, but this is totally outstanding and completely different vibe!! Love it!
To be very honest, i like it more than that croc clutch you posted in another thread. Just mho

If it's not speaking to you any more, it doesn't matter what we think. Rehome it and get what you want. That said, if you like it but it's not what's being carried 'right now', who cares? Individual style is much more fashionable than being on trend.

Good point & do agree our own individual style is what makes us stand out
Just my 2cents, the croc that you pictured I think is a Nancy Gonzalez clutch,
that is in a whole other league that is much different from BV, JMHO

Last edited:
I liked this so much when it came out 7 or so years ago that I bought one. So, my vote is to use it. It carries well and is beautiful.

I liked this so much when it came out 7 or so years ago that I bought one. So, my vote is to use it. It carries well and is beautiful.

I own this clutch as well ! I've had it since it came out. I love it! It's safe to put on the table while dining out (spills wipe off) as well as it fits a lot. I own knots as well as a stretch knot, and I find that I go to this bag first

The Fan Clutch isn't really "vintage" it's actually just almost ten years old, as the ladies below can attest to.
There was a Karung version done for the Neiman Marcus 100th Anniversary in 2007 and returned to the BV lineup in 2008 with the Intreccio Natte treatment.
Buy what you like, carry what you like. Bottega bags are designed to be timeless, that's why they cost thousands and thousands of dollars. They're meant to be carried and enjoyed for many years. :flowers:

I own this clutch as well ! I've had it since it came out. I love it! It's safe to put on the table while dining out (spills wipe off) as well as it fits a lot. I own knots as well as a stretch knot, and I find that I go to this bag first

Reactions: ksuromax
You guys ROCK! This is so helpful. I really appreciate the feedback.

To answer some of the questions: I'm pretty unsure of myself when it comes to handbags. Dare I say that I'm not entirely sure about my personal handbag style! I did not get first luxury handbag till I was 32 years old and had two kids.

I used to work in the high fashion industry but I was basically just a human hanger and so I gained a huge appreciation for garments, but never handbags.

So I'm still learning. I always knew I'd be a BV girl because I prioritize handmade craftsmanship and understated coolness over labels and brand recognition (but don't get me wrong, I LOVE it when someone recognizes my handbag). But from there, I'm pretty lost.

I wish there were a list-- real list (not created by bag snob which I frankly feel is just bought and paid for these days) that outlines the sorts of handbags that are wardrobe stables, and also advises on when it's appropriate to buy something more trendy. My entire closet is wardrobe staples. I don't know how to do trendy and I'm pretty sure I wind up looking boring most of the time. Well dressed and classic. But boring.

Reactions: papertiger
You guys ROCK! This is so helpful. I really appreciate the feedback.

To answer some of the questions: I'm pretty unsure of myself when it comes to handbags. Dare I say that I'm not entirely sure about my personal handbag style! I did not get first luxury handbag till I was 32 years old and had two kids.

I used to work in the high fashion industry but I was basically just a human hanger and so I gained a huge appreciation for garments, but never handbags.

So I'm still learning. I always knew I'd be a BV girl because I prioritize handmade craftsmanship and understated coolness over labels and brand recognition (but don't get me wrong, I LOVE it when someone recognizes my handbag). But from there, I'm pretty lost.

I wish there were a list-- real list (not created by bag snob which I frankly feel is just bought and paid for these days) that outlines the sorts of handbags that are wardrobe stables, and also advises on when it's appropriate to buy something more trendy. My entire closet is wardrobe staples. I don't know how to do trendy and I'm pretty sure I wind up looking boring most of the time. Well dressed and classic. But boring.

From what you are describing you sound classic , wearable & timeless with an aura of confidence.
There are many classic bag staples but one has to find what really works well in their wardrobe & lifestyle
( many like shoulder bags, satchels, totes for example)
Trends go in & out of style & for me , not much appeal.
If you have classic & basic colors in your wardrobe, a pop of color is always a nice addition
You'll find your way & enjoy the journey

Last edited:
Reactions: LouiseCPH