Vintage Dooney & Bourke

I got a deal on this Teton.
The tag says "Made in USA" and the serial number on the back starts with A5, so 1995 and it still looks new.
I did my homework and it's legit. Everything checks out. The color is actually more of a dark forest green (they call it "ivy"), the color you see here is from the flash. It looks like it's never been used. I think it was in a display window, you can see some slight fading around where the tassels were.

I could get used to this, I want more. :biggrin: But I do have a question: a lot of the vintage bags I'm seeing for sale look like they could use a good cleaning and conditioning, but the manufacturer warns against putting oil on the All Weather Leather. Does anyone know the process they use to make it water resistant? If I were to use a leather conditioner (nothing like Huberd's, that would change the color. But Bick's is too thin and light for some of the old bags I've been looking at. I'm thinking I'd use Duckfeet Leather Conditioner) would it degrade the leather in any way other than making it less water resistant?

00.jpg

I got a deal on this Teton.
The tag says "Made in USA" and the serial number on the back starts with A5, so 1995 and it still looks new.
I did my homework and it's legit. Everything checks out. The color is actually more of a dark forest green (they call it "ivy"), the color you see here is from the flash. It looks like it's never been used. I think it was in a display window, you can see some slight fading around where the tassels were.

I could get used to this, I want more. :biggrin: But I do have a question: a lot of the vintage bags I'm seeing for sale look like they could use a good cleaning and conditioning, but the manufacturer warns against putting oil on the All Weather Leather. Does anyone know the process they use to make it water resistant? If I were to use a leather conditioner (nothing like Huberd's, that would change the color. But Bick's is too thin and light for some of the old bags I've been looking at. I'm thinking I'd use Duckfeet Leather Conditioner) would it degrade the leather in any way other than making it less water resistant?

00.jpg
I'm not seeing the picture. I've used many conditioners on Dooney bags but mostly on the smooth leather parts. I've used Blackrock on the AWL. I don't think it degrades the leather. I think part of what makes it water resistant is the pebbling. You wouldn't want to have excess conditioner trapped in the pebbles. Being water resistant, it isn't going to absorb much conditioner. Whatever you put on will mostly sit on top. I like Blackrock because it makes it a bit shinier, probably more like what it looked like new.

Reactions: jbags07
From what I understand, original vintage Dooney pebbled All Weather Leather was made by
shrinking the leather. The process closed the pores of the leather and made it very
water resistant. At the time, Dooney said that any treatments might relax the
pebbling, and therefore change the texture of the leather, and make it less water resistant
and create an uneven look.

Most current day pebbled leathers are made by embossing the leather, not shrinking it.
That's one of the reasons why the original All Weather Leather was so much thicker and
heavier. I don't know how Dooney makes current collections called AWL2.

Dooney does not recommend using any treatment or conditioning products on any
of it's handbags. But lots of people use these products. A manufacturer can't be sure
what products someone will use and can't predict how the products/chemicals will interact
with the leather, the dyes, or the chemicals used in the tanning process. So, the
company doesn't want to suggest something they can't control that might cause a problem.

Anytime you add another potion or lotion on top of a dyed or processed piece of leather you
run the risk of some interaction. And with pre-owned handbags we can never be sure what
someone else did before we got the bag....so there could be multiple products interacting.
When we see photos of bags with faded or discolored areas we can never know if it was a
problem with the original dye or manufacturing process, how the bag was stored, products used after purchase, or some combination or interaction of any of these things.

Some ladies have been very successful in reconditioning older handbags. I don't have experience
in that area. But even with newer bags, it always makes sense to test anything in an area that
won't show. It's no guarantee, but it's better than swiping a product across the front of a bag
only to discover by the next morning the color is changed.

Even something that sounds as innocent as dunking a bag to clean it can be a disaster
if the bag has internal materials that are affected by water.... like stiffening material (like cardboard
or foam, for example) used in the base of the bag or to give the design structure.

I found my dream bag from when I was a teenager today at a Goodwill for $1.99. It's the now vintage D&B Charm #1 bag! I don't know where I'll wear this now after I clean it up a bit, but it was a really fun nostalgia find.
View attachment 5090389
Congratulations. You get your dream bag and it's 'almost' a gift.
She looks like she is in pretty good shape. Enjoy rocking this oldie but
goodie..... I see jeans and a T shirt as a perfect background to show off
your new treasure.

Reactions: poshyetthrifty
Can anyone help me to identify this vintage Dooney & Bourke ?
I am new in, I don’t know how to start a new post.thanks.

Attachments

• 05B8D705-3FCD-4855-88DF-2E7D88D0E42B.jpeg
    05B8D705-3FCD-4855-88DF-2E7D88D0E42B.jpeg
    874.6 KB · Views: 6
  • FA94CDEA-DD6E-4112-8A8D-6DB9333C9714.jpeg
    FA94CDEA-DD6E-4112-8A8D-6DB9333C9714.jpeg
    782 KB · Views: 6
  • 556CBFEA-D5A5-4095-9CCD-FB6149DD9D8F.jpeg
    556CBFEA-D5A5-4095-9CCD-FB6149DD9D8F.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 16CBDD44-A0BB-4741-973F-204DA692B69A.jpeg
    16CBDD44-A0BB-4741-973F-204DA692B69A.jpeg
    673.3 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: pmburk
Post pictures in this thread: https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/authenticate-this-dooney-bourke.118342/
Include pictures of any tags.
@whateve, I am glad to see you here. I am thinking of buying an older DB bag and working on cleaning it up. Is there a sticky/post anywhere for the basic steps for DB, or any tips you would recommend based on the usual steps for vintage Coach? My firs goal is to read about pebbled leather and what makes it unique.

I was given a navy blue DB in high school from family friends, I think as a graduation present. I wish I still had that bag!

Reactions: whateve
@whateve, I am glad to see you here. I am thinking of buying an older DB bag and working on cleaning it up. Is there a sticky/post anywhere for the basic steps for DB, or any tips you would recommend based on the usual steps for vintage Coach? My firs goal is to read about pebbled leather and what makes it unique.

I was given a navy blue DB in high school from family friends, I think as a graduation present. I wish I still had that bag!
There is a DB rehab thread but it isn't very active. https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/dooney-rehab-thread.811268/
Many people in the Coach rehab thread have done DB so you could ask there. DB says you aren't supposed to dunk AWL as it destroys the waterproofing but many people have dunked anyway and it looks fine afterwards. I've used Blackrocks on them. I've used paint/conditioner to restore color. In my experience, the smooth leather on AWL bags shows more wear and doesn't recover as well as Coach leather. I haven't found anything that will remove ink from DB suede interiors.

Hi everybody! I found this vintage Dooney and Bouke. I'm pretty sure this is color transfer. Any advice on how to minimize its appearance or remove it entirely? Thank you.

Attachments

• 9F9E71BC-7E3F-43A2-A6B3-B375297D3F5B.jpeg
    9F9E71BC-7E3F-43A2-A6B3-B375297D3F5B.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 8
  • EB8E23F0-46A5-4B06-8AE8-657F8E7F5588.jpeg
    EB8E23F0-46A5-4B06-8AE8-657F8E7F5588.jpeg
    245.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 6607CDD2-0D58-4D0F-A4AB-0EFD693C40A0.jpeg
    6607CDD2-0D58-4D0F-A4AB-0EFD693C40A0.jpeg
    305.9 KB · Views: 8
Hi everybody! I found this vintage Dooney and Bouke. I'm pretty sure this is color transfer. Any advice on how to minimize its appearance or remove it entirely? Thank you.
Paint! First try cleaning it with leather conditioner. Stains can sometimes be bleached out with benzoyl peroxide cream, like they make for zits, but the spots will likely turn white. That might make it easier to cover up with paint though.