Vintage Dior - Show the love (heavy wear) or have it restored?

Love it as it is (with wear and tear) or restore?

• Total voters

Cali2HI

Apr 2, 2022
I have a vintage Dior from the 70s (I think it’s the 70s) that I love to death.I’ve had it since 2007. It is my on and off daily bag and over time looks kind of beaten up. Should I leave it as it is? Allow the bag to show it’s love (corner wear, handle wear)? Or have should I have it restored? Please share your thoughts. It was so pretty when I first got it and now it’s kind of sad looking.

C6CEEFEA-8923-43DF-91DA-A564A729AA8B.jpeg

1355DCC1-F221-408E-B71F-CBAF01DF9BF7.jpeg

5B1D414C-62A0-4FB7-8FC7-CD43D650CFF0.jpeg

I voted to restore it because I will never ever wear such a bag. I always restore/clean any areas as soon as I see any damage/spots on - I believe this is the only way to keep the bag in good condition for longer, even for a lifetime.

On another side the wear is not that heavy. A heavy for me means to have holes in the corners :smile: So if you like it the way it is by all means you can use it in the condition it is now. But I will highly recommend to repair. The repair will actually protect the leather. If you leave it as it is, the worn areas will start to wear much faster.

And the bag is gorgeous for its age - good luck with it!

I voted to restore it because I will never ever wear such a bag. I always restore/clean any areas as soon as I see any damage/spots on - I believe this is the only way to keep the bag in good condition for longer, even for a lifetime.

On another side the wear is not that heavy. A heavy for me means to have holes in the corners :smile: So if you like it the way it is by all means you can use it in the condition it is now. But I will highly recommend to repair. The repair will actually protect the leather. If you leave it as it is, the worn areas will start to wear much faster.

And the bag is gorgeous for its age - good luck with it!
Thanks so much for your response! I really appreciate it. There’s no holes yet, the leather edges, piping, corner pieces are turning from blue to white. I’ll start asking for quotes restoration. I live in Hawaii and there’s no place that can do it here. Please let me know if you recommend any places. Thanks again!

Thanks so much for your response! I really appreciate it. There’s no holes yet, the leather edges, piping, corner pieces are turning from blue to white. I’ll start asking for quotes restoration. I live in Hawaii and there’s no place that can do it here. Please let me know if you recommend any places. Thanks again!
Try Rago brothers. They have a mail in service. You can find some of their work on Instagram. I’ve used them for different things many times.

Reactions: ElenaAlex
Aloha everyone! Thank you so much for your advice. So I will restore the bag to her former beauty. Rago Brothers quoted about $265 for cleaning and refinishing of leather parts. I am waiting on Pulito Handbag Service (Margaret’s Cleaners) in California for a quote and off she will go. I will post info. and updates. Thanks again!

Reactions: Chanellover2015
Aloha everyone! Thank you so much for your advice. So I will restore the bag to her former beauty. Rago Brothers quoted about $265 for cleaning and refinishing of leather parts. I am waiting on Pulito Handbag Service (Margaret’s Cleaners) in California for a quote and off she will go. I will post info. and updates. Thanks again!
Hi, I just sent in a purse to the Leather Surgeons. Got it back yesterday. Purse is like 20 years old and looks new! Check them also.. he did a fantastic job!

I sent it to Rago Brothers and it will cost $165 to refinish the exterior. They do not recommended cleaning the canvas because it will get sticky after washing it. I can’t wait to get it back. I’ll post an update when it arrives.
Here she is! She came back after a few weeks I sent it to Rago. I was really busy and forgot to post the outcome. She looks rejuvenated!

CFA452E3-BF21-454D-B64C-E471A3C7F86F.jpeg

818DE018-73E6-4C66-9359-BFB50ABFB2E2.jpeg

C631FF4A-39AD-4024-87BE-2A60E58669E1.jpeg

4BF1623C-E045-465F-949C-630B1F786387.jpeg