Vintage Dior Crocodile purse needs new strap!

ninama

O.G.
Jan 6, 2008

Hi...

I've posted this purse before, trying to date it (I've settled on "pre-90s") and now I'd like some recommendations about replacing the strap. It's cracked clean through in several places and can't be salvaged. The rest of the purse is in gorgeous condition.

I don't want to devalue it.. lord knows I'll never have another!

Any suggestions? Should I take it in to Dior in BH for input?

TIA if you can help!

Attachments

• cdiorfrontSMALL.jpg
    cdiorfrontSMALL.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 654
  • cdiorbackSMALL.jpg
    cdiorbackSMALL.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 256
  • cdior2claspSMALL.jpg
    cdior2claspSMALL.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 255
  • diorinsideSMALL.jpg
    diorinsideSMALL.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 244
  • cdiorstrapSMALL.jpg
    cdiorstrapSMALL.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 296

Thank you, Love

I took it to Dior today and they referred me to their restoration "doctor". He does have a matching croc hide - a new strap will run about $200. I'll have to save up for that!

you're welcome.i m glad they can repair it for you. dior store are the only one i trust for dior bags repair because they have those " doctor " some other company might do a louzy job and purse like that as you said cannot be found anymore.
i m sure once repair it will look like brand new again :smile:

Thank you, Love

I took it to Dior today and they referred me to their restoration "doctor". He does have a matching croc hide - a new strap will run about $200. I'll have to save up for that!

Sounds pretty good value to me.

Love that bag BTW. I sold a CD snakeskin in a similar shape - I wish I had't!

I love it, too... I think of it as the original Dior "saddle bag". I'd still love to find a date/season for it!

I took the plunge and the the purse should be ready to pick up on Tuesday - I can't wait to see it restored to it's original glory.:yahoo:

I love it, too... I think of it as the original Dior "saddle bag". I'd still love to find a date/season for it!

I took the plunge and the the purse should be ready to pick up on Tuesday - I can't wait to see it restored to it's original glory.:yahoo:

All I can say (and I don't know this for sure - just going on instincts and experience). My Skakeskin was late 1970s and the CD logos were tiny. The clasp catch and general impression of yours looks slightly younger like early 1980s.

YOU ARE SOOOO LUCKY I WOULD DIE FOR THAT BAG!!!!:nuts: (sorry for shouting Vlad and all just couldn't restrain myself)

I am now even sadder I no longer have my little poochy pouchy snakeskin :crybaby:

Don't ever sell your bag. EVER.

Tiger... omg. I really don't think I can keep it!

I have and have had a lot of fun, nice, interesting purses - but I don't use them. I latch on to one - currently a lack patent Gucci I picked up in a thrift shop - and I carry it until it's trashed. Then I move on to the next good find. I'm a scavenger and I guess a bit of a tomboy. Financial times being what they are, I think this pretty purse will make someone else happier (and me a little $er). It's a hard one to let go of... that's for sure - but I saw a vintage CD croc listed for $6K, so... :nuts:. On the other hand, if I can't get what I hope it's worth (not $6K, I'm sure), I'll probably hold on to it for a while.

We'll see how I feel about it when I get it back - hopefully tomorrow. :graucho:

She's home with her new strap!

It looks exactly like the original (but not broken and minus the amateur trimming and hole punching that a previous owner inflicted upon it). The color match is perfect and the original buckle hardware was used on the new strap. I'm very pleased with the outcome.

Jack at Progressive Repair in Beverly Hills did a fantastic job and I would recommend anyone to take their prized and precious purses to him for maintenance or restoration.

Great reviews at Yelp!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/progressive-shoe-shop-beverly-hills

Attachments

• cdiorX2.jpg
    cdiorX2.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 345
  • cdiorNEWSTRAP.jpg
    cdiorNEWSTRAP.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 232
  • cdiorNEWSTRAP2.jpg
    cdiorNEWSTRAP2.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 220