Vintage Dior cleanup advice needed

ellen aly

Dec 10, 2016
Hello everyone

I need some advice urgent. I'm planning to buy a nylon Dior vintage bag for $300 plus shipping. First off, is that price right? Secondly the bag is in overall good condition except some wear on the handles but feels a little sticky on the outside as per the seller. She says she has cleaned it but maybe a professional could fix it. I read online that this is generally an issue with Vintage Dior bags. Can someone throw some light on this and help me out as to how I can clean it at home without spending extra $$?

Thanks so much!!

Vespa_girl

Nov 3, 2012
Australia
Hi there,

Is it sticky only on the leather handle part or is it the fabric nylon too?

If it is just the leather handles you may like to try cleaning them with a leather cleaner a few times and then conditioning them afterwards.

I'm not sure what the professional would do/use which could be differnt to what we have access to. I would be interesed to know myself if anyone can shed some light on it. Stronger chemicals perhaps....??

Sorry i can't be more specific with my help; i have a vintage lady dior but it is all lambskin so I wouldn't know know how to clean nylon.

averagejoe

AJ
Authenticator
O.G.
Nov 22, 2006
Toronto
Hello everyone

I need some advice urgent. I'm planning to buy a nylon Dior vintage bag for $300 plus shipping. First off, is that price right? Secondly the bag is in overall good condition except some wear on the handles but feels a little sticky on the outside as per the seller. She says she has cleaned it but maybe a professional could fix it. I read online that this is generally an issue with Vintage Dior bags. Can someone throw some light on this and help me out as to how I can clean it at home without spending extra $$?

Thanks so much!!
I bought an old nylon Dior bag and it was sticky, so I cleaned it with a damp cloth moistened with slightly soapy water and it worked. Because it is the handle that is a bit sticky, you should be able to do the same, but be sure not to moisten the cloth too much, and don't rub hard, because the nylon has been glued to the support structure inside the handles, and if you rub too hard to apply too much moisture and it seeps through to the back, then the nylon can separate from the structure and you'll get warping or bubbling of the nylon at that point.

It should be easy to remove. Just slightly dampen the cloth, and don't rub hard in any way.

ellen aly

Dec 10, 2016
Hi there,

Is it sticky only on the leather handle part or is it the fabric nylon too?

If it is just the leather handles you may like to try cleaning them with a leather cleaner a few times and then conditioning them afterwards.

I'm not sure what the professional would do/use which could be differnt to what we have access to. I would be interesed to know myself if anyone can shed some light on it. Stronger chemicals perhaps....??

Sorry i can't be more specific with my help; i have a vintage lady dior but it is all lambskin so I wouldn't know know how to clean nylon.
so the seller said the handles are sticky and the nylon body is only a tiny bit sticky. I'll try the leather cleaner on the handles. She says its a bag from early 90's.

ellen aly

Dec 10, 2016
I bought an old nylon Dior bag and it was sticky, so I cleaned it with a damp cloth moistened with slightly soapy water and it worked. Because it is the handle that is a bit sticky, you should be able to do the same, but be sure not to moisten the cloth too much, and don't rub hard, because the nylon has been glued to the support structure inside the handles, and if you rub too hard to apply too much moisture and it seeps through to the back, then the nylon can separate from the structure and you'll get warping or bubbling of the nylon at that point.

It should be easy to remove. Just slightly dampen the cloth, and don't rub hard in any way.
Thank you so much! I'll definitely try this out