vintage croc kelly or wait

madisonmamaw

Dec 10, 2013
Dear lovely guys and gals

I have been thinking nothing other than getting a kelly for the past month. I have seen beautiful ones on ebay - notably the vintage croc, a little beaten up but hey. I just cant decide whether I should go ahead and just make an ebay purchase or wait indefinitely,,,,,

I guess I just need someone to share their opinion/feelings with me for relieve purpose since I have been thinking about nothing else.

=)

I actually have two vintage crocs and one vintage gator and use them more than the new gator croc I SO'd. Maybe that will change down the road but right now I'm loving the older ones.

Mine are not dry at all. I brought them all into Claude right out of the gate and he did his magic and they're all beautiful and well nourished.

;)

Reactions: aiyamei
I love exotic and wish to one day find myself a gator/croc sellier K when DDs are older. Are you looking for a Kelly sellier or retourne? Most exotic Ks seem to be sellier so you'll have to like this style. I've seen beautiful vintage croc selliers that are 20-30-40 years old and are still in like new condition. The key is to find one from a reputable seller (check the recommended reseller list) and get it authenticated. Crocs are hardy. My mom has 5 bags from the late 60s and 70s that still look new and she doesn't baby them. One caveat is you can't get any water on it, not even a tiny droplet, it will leave a water stain. G'luck deciding.

I think it depends on whether you are comfortable with vintage bags that will not be perfect. Vintage crocs are still pretty pricey so you'll have to be happy with paying that kind of price. If not, it's probably better to wait and find other alternatives.

I "accidentally" bought my first vintage box Kelly that was really beaten up and I think I can live with it once it's fixed up to an extent that is wearable. However the price point was decent which is why I'm still relatively comfortable with my decision.

well i kind of like Vintage craftsmanship especially in croc but ........... i have say todays croc Kellys are just stunning especially en shiny porosus or matte alli but ........ Vintage is automatically available would the color e the same ????

You are debating between a vintage or new exotic Kelly? Or are you looking for a regular one? Any chance of you having a regular store and SA?

Dear thank you for asking if I have the chance to debate between a new exotic :heart:

I am debating between a vintage crocodile purchase from a reseller or waiting indefinitely. I am not sure I count as having a regular store or SA,, in this case, my guess is no i dont..

I actually have two vintage crocs and one vintage gator and use them more than the new gator croc I SO'd. Maybe that will change down the road but right now I'm loving the older ones.

Mine are not dry at all. I brought them all into Claude right out of the gate and he did his magic and they're all beautiful and well nourished.

;)

darling, thank you for your words of encouragement!! i may just pull the trigger!! the bag I am looking at does need a lot of work. i am glad to hear that Claude works magic.

Do you mind posting before/after pictures? What Claude can do basically makes or breaks the deal for me - the Sellier does not hold its shape at the corners - so it is in an awkward shape.

I love exotic and wish to one day find myself a gator/croc sellier K when DDs are older. Are you looking for a Kelly sellier or retourne? Most exotic Ks seem to be sellier so you'll have to like this style. I've seen beautiful vintage croc selliers that are 20-30-40 years old and are still in like new condition. The key is to find one from a reputable seller (check the recommended reseller list) and get it authenticated. Crocs are hardy. My mom has 5 bags from the late 60s and 70s that still look new and she doesn't baby them. One caveat is you can't get any water on it, not even a tiny droplet, it will leave a water stain. G'luck deciding.

Thank you so much dear for your input and recommendations. I guess I get worked up too much and cant bear to wait. I agree maybe I should take things slower =)
I dont own a kelly yet. and so i dont know if i'd prefer sellier/retourne IRL

On the other hand, I am not very good at babying my bags,, need to work on that.

I think it depends on whether you are comfortable with vintage bags that will not be perfect. Vintage crocs are still pretty pricey so you'll have to be happy with paying that kind of price. If not, it's probably better to wait and find other alternatives.

I "accidentally" bought my first vintage box Kelly that was really beaten up and I think I can live with it once it's fixed up to an extent that is wearable. However the price point was decent which is why I'm still relatively comfortable with my decision.

I dont mind vintage purchases, especially some part of me deep down thinks that craftsmanship just are not the same anymore. if not so for H, than so for jewelry.

I do think whether or not I shall make the vintage purchase depends on how much it can be touched up. and yes, definitely because vintage croc is still expensive. Maybe I shall wait...

well i kind of like Vintage craftsmanship especially in croc but ........... i have say todays croc Kellys are just stunning especially en shiny porosus or matte alli but ........ Vintage is automatically available would the color e the same ????

I hear you birkel, I feel like I am trapped in this dilemma for an eternity ..
lol such hard decisions...
there i was thinking, giving birth is going to be the hardest thing

darling, thank you for your words of encouragement!! i may just pull the trigger!! the bag I am looking at does need a lot of work. i am glad to hear that Claude works magic.

Do you mind posting before/after pictures? What Claude can do basically makes or breaks the deal for me - the Sellier does not hold its shape at the corners - so it is in an awkward shape.

My bags did not need a lot of work. He basically touched up corners and nourished the skins. I was lucky to find these bags, took some time and lots of looking but was worth the effort.

:smile: