Vintage Coach Photos & Chat

Now you are giving me second thoughts about keeping vs. letting go... my hoarder's instinct is leaning towards keeping but it may be true that I should not be holding on to it! :sad: I don't know whether I have the grounds to return it though..
If I bought the bag and liked it and the color, I'd keep it. I don't think the problems are that obvious.

*sigh*....everytime I hear how much you can get CPR for , I cry!!
NZ$72 for the refill size my last order.
I feel your pain about having to pay shipping prices to get items to you! I want to send my friend in Australia a package...FedEx and UPS are charging almost $400 shipping! And USPS is close to $120! Thats obviously better pricing but still outrageous for a 5 lb box!

Hi,
I was not sure which thread I should post this but I recently purchased a classic pouch. To my surprise, the leather on this bag is not cut properly. The shape of the flap and pockets are not straight or nicely curved. Have you ever come across a bag like this? Looking at the creed stamp, it appears authentic. But I'm confused as to how this bag passed the inspection?

Have you all come across a bag that is this off?! Stitching, leather, piping, all those areas are great so I'm a bit confused.
I initially thought it 'appears' deformed due to angle, but now having it in front of me, I can say that this bag IS deformed.

I love the color so I'm going to laugh it off and keep it. Is this Bordeaux?

1. flap is not symmetrical. pls pay attention to the right side of the flap edge in pic. not evenly curved.
View attachment 5302044View attachment 5302046
2. internal pocket edge is 'curved'... so bad that it almost appears to be intentionally cut that way!
View attachment 5302050View attachment 5302051

I have a genuine vintage Willis with a lopsided flap, one side is slightly longer than the other. so yes, things like that can happen. Coaches back then were hand cut and hand sewn, so there could be several reasons why a piece of leather had to be tweaked a bit. And sometimes even Coach employees made mistakes. :graucho:

Hi,
I was not sure which thread I should post this but I recently purchased a classic pouch. To my surprise, the leather on this bag is not cut properly. The shape of the flap and pockets are not straight or nicely curved. Have you ever come across a bag like this? Looking at the creed stamp, it appears authentic. But I'm confused as to how this bag passed the inspection?

Have you all come across a bag that is this off?! Stitching, leather, piping, all those areas are great so I'm a bit confused.
I initially thought it 'appears' deformed due to angle, but now having it in front of me, I can say that this bag IS deformed.

1. flap is not symmetrical. pls pay attention to the right side of the flap edge in pic. not evenly curved.
2. internal pocket edge is 'curved'... so bad that it almost appears to be intentionally cut that way!
If I bought the bag and liked it and the color, I'd keep it. I don't think the problems are that obvious.

I would keep it... It is such an unusual and beautiful colour and will look gorgeous when restored. You've got yourself a novelty bag there! :flowers:

Hi,

Just to chime in I have several bags, made in NYC with minor imperfections. This stitching is wonky on the turn of the strap, the reg. numbers are stamped slightly out of line with line with the Creed. I have seen listings for bags made pre 1993-4 where instead of inserting a dash they used a number and where a digit was stamped halfway between two numbers.
Was your bag marked irregular? One of mine is. As has been said, this is the testimony of something created individually, by hand. Like the rings on a hand-thrown piece of pottery.

@Hyacinth @LadaZuri @whateve @Lake Effect , thank you all for your responses! Mine does not have 'irregular' stamp, @Lake Effect . I also thought this bag really qualifies for 'irregular' stamp. Do you think those bullseye, irregular, and FS stamps came much later than the NYC bags? I have a LOT of NYC bags and I haven't seen even one bag that is this off. I have had bags that had sloppy stitching but that's about it. But as you all said, it's the beauty of handmade products and reflection of human decisions (to approve this bag for sale), not computers.

I wonder whether Coach had apprenticeships in their factory for craftsman. My another thought was that this may have been made by a beginning craftsman, learning their skills? Actually, this bag is additionally deformed in a way that the body is not straight, and kind of pulled in one direction. Hard to describe but it looks a bit parallelogram. I will have to find out whether it will straighten up by rehabbing! Thanks again for sharing fun stories about some of your bags.

@Hyacinth @LadaZuri @whateve @Lake Effect , thank you all for your responses! Mine does not have 'irregular' stamp, @Lake Effect . I also thought this bag really qualifies for 'irregular' stamp. Do you think those bullseye, irregular, and FS stamps came much later than the NYC bags? I have a LOT of NYC bags and I haven't seen even one bag that is this off. I have had bags that had sloppy stitching but that's about it. But as you all said, it's the beauty of handmade products and reflection of human decisions (to approve this bag for sale), not computers.

I wonder whether Coach had apprenticeships in their factory for craftsman. My another thought was that this may have been made by a beginning craftsman, learning their skills? Actually, this bag is additionally deformed in a way that the body is not straight, and kind of pulled in one direction. Hard to describe but it looks a bit parallelogram. I will have to find out whether it will straighten up by rehabbing! Thanks again for sharing fun stories about some of your bags.

I have noticed the wonkiness in some of the bags I restored as well. The beauty and uniqueness of being handcrafted. :smile: