Vintage Coach Photos & Chat

EDIT: I asked this before I saw the other posts.. Sorry to be redundant!

Is that exposed wood - the dowel - on the hang tag side of the top part? Why isn’t there leather there?
The leather cap is missing. It is easy to fix, just need to remove the D rings, push the wood dowel out a bit, cut a small round piece of vegetable tanned leather, and wet mold into cap shape then glue onto the end of wood, and dye it into the similar color. ( color match will be the hardest part) .

I am a little bummed with this Logan bag . I paid $111 shipped which is not bad price for a Logan I guess, but upon receiving I found 2 pen marks on the front panel, they are not disclosed in the listing. I also enlarged the photo still can’t see any pen marks , the glares disguised them. If this is your purchase. What will you do?
I sent you a pm

The leather cap is missing. It is easy to fix, just need to remove the D rings, push the wood dowel out a bit, cut a small round piece of vegetable tanned leather, and wet mold into cap shape then glue onto the end of wood, and dye it into the similar color. ( color match will be the hardest part) .
I would completely mess up the wet mold cap shape..

I second requesting a partial refund for the non-disclosed ink marks. :tup: If the seller agrees I really encourage you to try colour refreshing using Meltonian Shoe Cream and Leather CPR. I've been working on 2 BT bags (using the London Tan), plus a large mahogany Bleeker 9314 (using a mixture of London Tan and black). Working with the Meltonian has been such a pleasure! :blush: I might be worth a try to cover the ink marks. The Logan is such a beautiful bag. Good luck, Luna! :hugs:

View attachment 5253848

About 3 treatments in, but not finished:

View attachment 5253849
I keep forgetting to tell you that I really love the Melatonin in London Tan! Most perfect color for BT.. Thank you!!

I am a little bummed with this Logan bag . I paid $111 shipped which is not bad price for a Logan I guess, but upon receiving I found 2 pen marks on the front panel, they are not disclosed in the listing. I also enlarged the photo still can’t see any pen marks , the glares disguised them. If this is your purchase. What will you do?
Update of the Logan: contacted the seller to let him know that I was disappointed with the pen marks. He offered $25 refund and I accepted it. Now I feel better. Thanks everyone .

@LadaZuri Glad you like the Meltonian! Didn’t I tell you it was good stuff?!
@LunaSilver I’d try the Amodex wipes first and then, if needed, try the Meltonian/CPR to cover it up.

Yes... Thanks so much, Paris! I'm loving the Meltonian! :flowers:

You are so talented, Luna!!! That process would terrify me! :lol:

We all know that some of the vintage navy coach bags are very dark and may sometimes look black depending on the lighting.

I am trying to decide if the Pocket Purse I previously rehabbed is navy or black.

When I bought it, I was pretty sure it was navy - especially when looking at the under flap area, but after rehab it got darker and now I am not sure. Is there any way to check to determine if a dark vintage bag is navy or black?

Here are some pictures, what do you think? I don't want to mislead someone into thinking they are getting a navy bag when it might actually be black!

Pocket Purse Before Rehab, is it navy?

Pocket Purse after rehab - is it black or blue? It's shown between a black Patricia's Legacy and a Black Hobo:

Black would be my vote :tup:

You could also list it as black/very dark navy & then further explain the colour variation in your listing. That way, a buyer will know what to expect.

You could also list it as black/very dark navy & then further explain the colour variation in your listing. That way, a buyer will know what to expect.
@katev
I was curious and went back to the original pics of the bag, and while nothing is absolute, for late ‘96, navy leather was looking decided blue, esp next to a black bag. I think by the time Coach moved into the early ‘90s, they moved away from the navy that was challenging to distinguish from black.
The litmus test for me is bright sunlight. I have a navy made in NYC bag and next to anything in black, in decent light the difference is visible. YMMV
And I agree with Coachaddict on disclosure.

Last edited:

@katev
I was curious and went back to the original pics of the bag, and while nothing is absolute, for late ‘96, navy leather was looking decided blue, esp next to a black bag. I think by the time Coach moved into the early ‘90s, they moved away from the navy that was challenging to distinguish from black.
The litmus test for me is bright sunlight. I have a navy made in NYC bag and next to anything in black, in decent light the difference is visible. YMMV

Thanks! I just went back and re-examined the bag carefully in bright sunlight and I am convinced that it is truly black. I think what threw me off was that the bag was a little dull and faded before rehab and looked a little dark gray or blue to me - but it is definitely black after rehab!

@katev
I have a 1999 Costa Rican court that is a very dark navy. You can't really tell it is navy in normal light. It is more obvious on the interior.

Do you think the tab design was original to Coach? I found something interesting in this style (not a Coach bag) that I can post later.
This picture is from the Met Museum. Bonnie Cashin design from 1972. Interesting the tongue doesn't hang down low in that picture. When I used mine, I used to not pull it all the way down so it wouldn't hang below the bag but it kind of bulged.

Coach's catalog pictures always showed the tongue hanging down a few inches.

View attachment 5257655
My oldest sister recently pulled out Tammy dolls (Ideal Toy Company, circa 1960) that were given to her and my other older sister that had been stored in her basement. I played with them as well as a child. I couldn't believe it when I saw the tab detail on the red purse she had saved from the clothes and accessories. It had to have been styled after something contemporary to it, from the early 60's.
I think the purse went with a tweed suit my sister has. I had to have the bag lol.

6B2EEE96-987E-4671-813A-AB08F31B9D73.jpeg

My oldest sister recently pulled out Tammy dolls (Ideal Toy Company, circa 1960) that were given to her and my other older sister that had been stored in her basement. I played with them as well as a child. I couldn't believe it when I saw the tab detail on the red purse she had saved from the clothes and accessories. It had to have been styled after something contemporary to it, from the early 60's.
I think the purse went with a tweed suit my sister has. I had to have the bag lol.

View attachment 5258058
That's great! I don't remember Tammy dolls. I remember Chatty Cathy. I used to play with my mom's Shirley Temple doll. It's possible Bonnie Cashin used that design for another company before Coach, or maybe it was a design element commonly in use by that time. It does seem a good way to make a closure without hardware.

That's great! I don't remember Tammy dolls. I remember Chatty Cathy. I used to play with my mom's Shirley Temple doll. It's possible Bonnie Cashin used that design for another company before Coach, or maybe it was a design element commonly in use by that time. It does seem a good way to make a closure without hardware.
I had Chatty Cathy. Good times. I am also thinking that the tab design, gee, that could go waaay back to when people began working with leather ...
I just spent the last 30 minutes looking at Tammy's accessories on eBay. It looks like there were a few other tab closure bags (all basic like the one I have) and several clutches. eBay is good for research!