• Fashionphile's Very Merry Sale launched today and ends on Friday at 11:59pm EST! $100 off your order of $1,000+ with code MERRY100, $200 off your order of $2,000+ with code MERRY200, or $300 off your order of $3,000+ with code MERRY300! Click or tap here to shop and save!

Vintage Coach Photos & Chat

May 14, 2020
Canada
We all know that some of the vintage navy coach bags are very dark and may sometimes look black depending on the lighting.

I am trying to decide if the Pocket Purse I previously rehabbed is navy or black.

When I bought it, I was pretty sure it was navy - especially when looking at the under flap area, but after rehab it got darker and now I am not sure. Is there any way to check to determine if a dark vintage bag is navy or black?

Here are some pictures, what do you think? I don't want to mislead someone into thinking they are getting a navy bag when it might actually be black!

Pocket Purse Before Rehab, is it navy?

Pocket Purse after rehab - is it black or blue? It's shown between a black Patricia's Legacy and a Black Hobo:
Black would be my vote :tup:

You could also list it as black/very dark navy & then further explain the colour variation in your listing. That way, a buyer will know what to expect.

Lake Effect

Feb 25, 2017
The Garden State

You could also list it as black/very dark navy & then further explain the colour variation in your listing. That way, a buyer will know what to expect.
@katev
I was curious and went back to the original pics of the bag, and while nothing is absolute, for late ‘96, navy leather was looking decided blue, esp next to a black bag. I think by the time Coach moved into the early ‘90s, they moved away from the navy that was challenging to distinguish from black.
The litmus test for me is bright sunlight. I have a navy made in NYC bag and next to anything in black, in decent light the difference is visible. YMMV
And I agree with Coachaddict on disclosure.

Last edited:

katev

"The Bag Whisperer!"
O.G.
Dec 18, 2009

@katev
I was curious and went back to the original pics of the bag, and while nothing is absolute, for late ‘96, navy leather was looking decided blue, esp next to a black bag. I think by the time Coach moved into the early ‘90s, they moved away from the navy that was challenging to distinguish from black.
The litmus test for me is bright sunlight. I have a navy made in NYC bag and next to anything in black, in decent light the difference is visible. YMMV

Thanks! I just went back and re-examined the bag carefully in bright sunlight and I am convinced that it is truly black. I think what threw me off was that the bag was a little dull and faded before rehab and looked a little dark gray or blue to me - but it is definitely black after rehab!

whateve

Authenticator
O.G.
May 10, 2010
@katev
I have a 1999 Costa Rican court that is a very dark navy. You can't really tell it is navy in normal light. It is more obvious on the interior.

Lake Effect

Feb 25, 2017
The Garden State
Do you think the tab design was original to Coach? I found something interesting in this style (not a Coach bag) that I can post later.
This picture is from the Met Museum. Bonnie Cashin design from 1972. Interesting the tongue doesn't hang down low in that picture. When I used mine, I used to not pull it all the way down so it wouldn't hang below the bag but it kind of bulged.

Coach's catalog pictures always showed the tongue hanging down a few inches.

View attachment 5257655
My oldest sister recently pulled out Tammy dolls (Ideal Toy Company, circa 1960) that were given to her and my other older sister that had been stored in her basement. I played with them as well as a child. I couldn't believe it when I saw the tab detail on the red purse she had saved from the clothes and accessories. It had to have been styled after something contemporary to it, from the early 60's.
I think the purse went with a tweed suit my sister has. I had to have the bag lol.

6B2EEE96-987E-4671-813A-AB08F31B9D73.jpeg

whateve

Authenticator
O.G.
May 10, 2010
My oldest sister recently pulled out Tammy dolls (Ideal Toy Company, circa 1960) that were given to her and my other older sister that had been stored in her basement. I played with them as well as a child. I couldn't believe it when I saw the tab detail on the red purse she had saved from the clothes and accessories. It had to have been styled after something contemporary to it, from the early 60's.
I think the purse went with a tweed suit my sister has. I had to have the bag lol.

View attachment 5258058
That's great! I don't remember Tammy dolls. I remember Chatty Cathy. I used to play with my mom's Shirley Temple doll. It's possible Bonnie Cashin used that design for another company before Coach, or maybe it was a design element commonly in use by that time. It does seem a good way to make a closure without hardware.

Lake Effect

Feb 25, 2017
The Garden State
That's great! I don't remember Tammy dolls. I remember Chatty Cathy. I used to play with my mom's Shirley Temple doll. It's possible Bonnie Cashin used that design for another company before Coach, or maybe it was a design element commonly in use by that time. It does seem a good way to make a closure without hardware.
I had Chatty Cathy. Good times. I am also thinking that the tab design, gee, that could go waaay back to when people began working with leather ...
I just spent the last 30 minutes looking at Tammy's accessories on eBay. It looks like there were a few other tab closure bags (all basic like the one I have) and several clutches. eBay is good for research!

Paris Girl

Aug 30, 2019

View attachment 5258058
I’ve never heard of those Tammy dolls. I had several Barbie dolls (bubble-head and pony tail) and a baby doll called Baby Dear. But never have even seen a Tammy doll. Now I’m curious…..!

Lake Effect

Feb 25, 2017
The Garden State
I’ve never heard of those Tammy dolls. I had several Barbie dolls (bubble-head and pony tail) and a baby doll called Baby Dear. But never have even seen a Tammy doll. Now I’m curious…..!
They were put out by the Ideal toy company (I think Barbie was by Mattel) and are truer to actual pre-teen/tween body proportions (basically no breasts!). That is why my mother bought them. I give my mom credit. She felt, back in the 60's, Barbie's were not realistic in how they represented women's bodies and even though is was a toy, and it wasn't a model she wanted for her daughters. Lol, and she was (and still is) a devout Catholic.

MRSBWS

Apr 17, 2012
Motorcity
They were put out by the Ideal toy company (I think Barbie was by Mattel) and are truer to actual pre-teen/tween body proportions (basically no breasts!). That is why my mother bought them. I give my mom credit. She felt, back in the 60's, Barbie's were not realistic in how they represented women's bodies and even though is was a toy, and it wasn't a model she wanted for her daughters. Lol, and she was (and still is) a devout Catholic.
I also had a Tammy. Santa thought Barbie was too grown-up for me at the time.

whateve

Authenticator
O.G.
May 10, 2010
I don't remember caring about Barbie's body shape. I think everyone knew it wasn't realistic. Whose feet are shaped in a permanent high heel slant? What I liked were the clothes. They were so detailed compared to the clothes for my other dolls. The styles were more sophisticated. When I played with Barbie, all I did was change her clothes over and over.

Paris Girl

Aug 30, 2019
I don't remember caring about Barbie's body shape. I think everyone knew it wasn't realistic. Whose feet are shaped in a permanent high heel slant? What I liked were the clothes. They were so detailed compared to the clothes for my other dolls. The styles were more sophisticated. When I played with Barbie, all I did was change her clothes over and over.
I didn’t care about her shape either. I had bought enough outfits and my mom made really cool outfits for my Barbies. She gave away my dolls and their wardrobe (GRR) but I did manage to hang onto these records where they sing. Mine are in mint condition. This is a listing for the same records. In college we used to play them as a joke and it was pretty funny. There was a song called The Busy Buzz and we knew all the words. Ken was calling Barbie at the same time she was calling him and he got a busy signal. So he was jealous thinking she was talking to another boy. Lol!

Busy Buzz lyrics