Vintage Chanel?

matchamerci

Jul 29, 2020
Hi lovelies I’m new here and I need some help.

I found this preloved Chanel that I’m seriously considering buying. However, one of the photo shows some yellow mark at the lower edge of the flap - looks like dried up glue? The bag is from 2003-2004, so is this normal or is it a quality issue? Also it has no authenticity card, only comes with dust bag. But it has a zeko authenticity email cert.

How much does it discount the value? It’s a medium size classic flap. What would be a reasonable price for this kind of condition (assuming the “glue leak” is the main problem)?

Thanks in advance for all the help!!

9DC4848F-0170-40A8-A6BA-5C3A78883008.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi there, I would say that it looks like glue. I have seen similar with other brand bags (ie Gucci) around the seams. Honestly, this would be one I would steer clear of, as glue is not something you can remove and I think it would get worse with time. Based upon what I have noticed in the pre-loved market, I would place this one at around $2500 given the defect and lack of card. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response!! Unfortunately by now I have already bought it, for less than 4k. However it is the much coveted series 8/9 pink color which I've been lusting over for a long time, and I just don't think I'll be lucky enough to catch one priced at $2500 with decent condition! (also, wouldn't price THAT low be a red flag itself?) I saw zeko authentication highly recommended by many Chanel lovers so I chose to believe it. I feel like as long as the bag is authentic, the card shouldn't make too much difference to its value because afterall it's just a card, and we're paying for the bag; also a card could be easily faked if people really wanna scam, right? Though I guess I could get it authenticated by another as well (any recommendation?)
Anyway I got the bag and I'll say it doesn't look bad at all irl and it is just such a gorgeous pink bag! It truly makes my heart sing everytime I look at it! I can upload some pics later if anyone's interested. (:

It is a pretty pink! Now that you bought it, are you considering sending it to leather surgeons to fix the glue issue? They will also authenticate before they repair.

****************** is another authentication service I have seen many YouTubers recommend. I will be using them this week, it’s around 10 to 20usd.

It is a pretty pink! Now that you bought it, are you considering sending it to leather surgeons to fix the glue issue? They will also authenticate before they repair.

****************** is another authentication service I have seen many YouTubers recommend. I will be using them this week, it’s around 10 to 20usd.
Sorry your other recommendation is censored. I may consider leather surgeon but probably not so soon. Right now the overall condition really looks pretty good! No one will look into the seams plus it can only be seen from a weird angle. Maybe I’d wait till I accumulate some more wear to get them “fixed” at one go?

Thanks for the response!! Unfortunately by now I have already bought it, for less than 4k. However it is the much coveted series 8/9 pink color which I've been lusting over for a long time, and I just don't think I'll be lucky enough to catch one priced at $2500 with decent condition! (also, wouldn't price THAT low be a red flag itself?) I saw zeko authentication highly recommended by many Chanel lovers so I chose to believe it. I feel like as long as the bag is authentic, the card shouldn't make too much difference to its value because afterall it's just a card, and we're paying for the bag; also a card could be easily faked if people really wanna scam, right? Though I guess I could get it authenticated by another as well (any recommendation?)
Anyway I got the bag and I'll say it doesn't look bad at all irl and it is just such a gorgeous pink bag! It truly makes my heart sing everytime I look at it! I can upload some pics later if anyone's interested. (:
Yes please post more photos.

The bag is gorgeous! If it has indeed been authenticated by Zeko (e.g. the certificate isn't faked), I wouldn't be too concerned. I also use her services, including for vintage pieces.

Reactions: OCMomof3
Would love to see more pics! It looks like a fantastic find! And you're right about the authenticity card - it can be faked and might not be worth getting hung up on IF you are confident about authenticity.

Sorry your other recommendation is censored. I may consider leather surgeon but probably not so soon. Right now the overall condition really looks pretty good! No one will look into the seams plus it can only be seen from a weird angle. Maybe I’d wait till I accumulate some more wear to get them “fixed” at one go?
She likely meant Authenticate1st

Yes, those are dried glue residues. Along the edge of the flap is where they often show up on older pieces. I have been able to removed old glue residue on one of my bags with nail polish remover, but you have to be extremely gentle to avoid scuffing the leather. If you don't want to do it yourself, you can send it in to a leather cleaner to do it for you (if you use Leather Surgeons, you'll also get a certificate of authenticity).

Since this is a 8, or 9 series, and very very easy to authenticate, chances are low that any authentication service would have made a mistake, but of course, there's always a possibility.
If you want another opinion, you can post it in the Authenticate this Chanel thread. If you want to use a professional authentication service, I would recommend Etinceler. Especially if we are talking about vintage pieces, or bags from the 15 million series and older (those that don't have to be sent in for physical inspection), because their service is very affordable (only $7). IMO, they are also one of the most reliable authentication service, and my # 1 recommendation for everything Chanel (bags, shoes, RTW, jewelry)