Vintage Chanel Repair w/no hologram sticker

Jul 7, 2006
Hi everyone, I recently bought a vintage Chanel lambskin backpack from ebay. It wasn't misrepresented I don't think, but it IS in worse condition than I expected. There's a strong odor to it and the lambskin looks pretty worn and faded and the quilting is totally flat, with some tears on the back and at the piping. The leather and gold on the straps are pretty worn as well, and overall, the bag could use a makeover! There's no hologram sticker though (I'm pretty sure it's authentic) and it's in poor condition, so would I be able to take this to a Chanel store to get it sent in for repair? Or will they not know the authenticity of it due to no hologram sticker? I know there is more (from reading here) that they can look at to determine authenticity, but are they going to deny me because it wasn't bought at a store or because it's in poor condition? I would like to do this ASAP since it's pretty worn and I'd like to use it.

Or would it be smarter to use Lovin My Bags or some other outside bag repair option?

Hi. I'm not sure about the authenticity part, but they would not deny you based on where you bought it (how would they know anyway, unless you told them) or condition. Many here have vintage bags and have sent them in; one person here just got back a vintage camera bag and it looked so amazing it looked brand new. I do know Chanel will repair piping and straps on most bags if they have them. If the lambskin is really super faded, then most likely they might recommend that you have it redyed. They can't do anything about the flattened quilting, however.

Hi. I'm not sure about the authenticity part, but they would not deny you based on where you bought it (how would they know anyway, unless you told them) or condition. Many here have vintage bags and have sent them in; one person here just got back a vintage camera bag and it looked so amazing it looked brand new. I do know Chanel will repair piping and straps on most bags if they have them. If the lambskin is really super faded, then most likely they might recommend that you have it redyed. They can't do anything about the flattened quilting, however.

Thanks! That's totally fine about the quilting, I would at least like it in decent condition, it feels pretty used and worn right now and I don't want to use it in its current condition. Would I just take it to a store and give it to an SA? Sorry, I've never done anything like this before. Do you know how much it runs to get the straps (the gold and leather) repaired and bag redyed? OR does it depend on the condition and a case by case basis?

Thanks! That's totally fine about the quilting, I would at least like it in decent condition, it feels pretty used and worn right now and I don't want to use it in its current condition. Would I just take it to a store and give it to an SA? Sorry, I've never done anything like this before. Do you know how much it runs to get the straps (the gold and leather) repaired and bag redyed? OR does it depend on the condition and a case by case basis?

Hopefully someone will chime in about the authenticity issue, but yes, you can take it into any Chanel Boutique. If you are getting the entire bag refurbished, including new straps/chain and leather refurbishing/dye, the current cost in the US is $265 as I recall.

Hopefully someone will chime in about the authenticity issue, but yes, you can take it into any Chanel Boutique. If you are getting the entire bag refurbished, including new straps/chain and leather refurbishing/dye, the current cost in the US is $265 as I recall.

Thank you for this. I've never purchased a Chanel bag new or used, let alone have to repair a vintage one. Will the SAs know what to do when I bring it in or will they be confused as to why I'm bringing it to the store to get fixed? I'm almost embarrassed by the condition!

That's right, the total refurbishment is $265 and Chanel will repair the bag as long as it is authentic (with or without the hologram).

I agree about taking it to Chanel; they are the ones who made the bag, so they have the best repair shops contracted to do work to their specifications.

Hi! ;)
Firstly get it authenticated with the lovely TPFer ladies of 'Authenticate This...' thread... even though you are sure its authentic, it would really put your mind at ease.... :biggrin:
Authenticity does not always depend on stickers and cards, I think at the end its the bag that really counts :smile:
You can always have it refurbished at Chanel no matter the age of the bag... but I reckon would just keep the info of where you got your bag from and mention it has been in the family and need some TLC for you to continue using in the future :biggrin:
Good luck! :biggrin:

Refurbishments at Lovin My Bags are usually more expensive than at Chanel. I would take it to Chanel.

Do you need to replace the bag lining?

I probably should... the lining is actually okay but it has a strong scent to it which really bothers me. I have baking soda in it now (put it in last night) but I don't think the smell has diminished yet.

When I went home I noticed the gold hardware on the straps is pretty rusty/dirty looking in some spots. Definitely want to replace the straps as a whole. I also noticed on one of the CC logos looks that the gold looks a bit I dunno, worn? Like faded? Are they able to fix that too?

Bag overall is in pretty poor shape, I almost regret buying it.

Reactions: Hakuhaku
Hi! ;)
Firstly get it authenticated with the lovely TPFer ladies of 'Authenticate This...' thread... even though you are sure its authentic, it would really put your mind at ease.... :biggrin:
Authenticity does not always depend on stickers and cards, I think at the end its the bag that really counts :smile:
You can always have it refurbished at Chanel no matter the age of the bag... but I reckon would just keep the info of where you got your bag from and mention it has been in the family and need some TLC for you to continue using in the future :biggrin:
Good luck! :biggrin:

Thank you! Maybe I will take photos of it tonight and post it up, the "made in" stamp is mostly rubbed off though!

I probably should... the lining is actually okay but it has a strong scent to it which really bothers me. I have baking soda in it now (put it in last night) but I don't think the smell has diminished yet.

When I went home I noticed the gold hardware on the straps is pretty rusty/dirty looking in some spots. Definitely want to replace the straps as a whole. I also noticed on one of the CC logos looks that the gold looks a bit I dunno, worn? Like faded? Are they able to fix that too?

Bag overall is in pretty poor shape, I almost regret buying it.

They can replace the hardware; sounds like you need the total refurbishment package, where you get new hardware, straps with chains, cleaning (make sure you let them know you want the inside cleaned as well). I think you will be surprised at how amazing it will look when Chanel is done. :smile: