Vintage Chanel Bags - always wanting to learn

Luv iz Louis

Jul 22, 2012
So I have been looking at Vintage Chanel - and wondered if anyone knows much about this style of bag? Are they double ringed so can be worn double chained like a normal classic bag? Or are they single rings and more like the size of a WOC? Do they still make this style? Just thought I would open up a learning discussion as I am only new to Chanel & like to know more about the styles. :biggrin:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-15 at 5.51.53 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-15 at 5.51.53 pm.png
    275.7 KB · Views: 1,172
Vintage shoulder flap. Single chain. When you open the bag the chain loops through the round grommets and hooks onto the sides of the bag with small S-locks. This is a plus if you have heavy items because the chain is connected to the main base portion of the bag and not just the flap. In a regular 2.55 classic flap the chain is connected to the flap only, and so the weight of the bag is all hinged on the clasp, which holds together the top and bottom - chain pulls the bag upwards and weight pulls the bag downwards. If you snap the double flap portion closed, then the snap helps with the weight support. That is also why you see a lot of cracked snap buttons because of the pressure. Most people keep the interior flap open though. With the vintage flap you mention, the chains are connected directly to the base "unit" therefore eliminating strain on the front clasp and flap portion. Of course this is only if you plan on carrying heavy things.

It's a single chain that is not long enough for cross body for most people. The chain length is usually around 18" to 20." A good cross body needs about 22.5 to 24" to be comfortable. I mean drop, the length from the top of the shoulder to the top of the bag. Not the length of the chain. You could try to "8 loop" the chains to do the double strap thing but it would not be long enough to carry on the shoulder anyway. Maybe just a clutch. Which is fine - some people will double up the chain and wear it as a clutch. Worn naturally, it is worn on one shoulder and falls around your waist. You can also shorten the chain by "cinching" it inside.

For the black lamb, interior is burgundy, signaling a vintage classic. 18k gold plated hardware and very durable structure makes it popular among Chanel enthusiasts because the quality they say is so much better. Very well-structured. This model comes in 9 inches, 10 inches and 11 inches. Production year early to late 90's. Comes in both Caviar, Lamb, and patent, and was made in Black, Navy, Red, White, Beige, Pink, Brown, Olive.

Reactions: Maijp
This bag was made popular by Princess Diana in the early 1990's. It's still a highly sought after style.
I will correct Roku and mention that this is a single flap bag, not a double. It came in both lambskin and caviar leathers although it was most popular in lamb. It also was available in only 9 and 10 inch sizes.
Here's a nice pic of the single grommet style and how the chain attaches to the bag.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 1,037
  • SingleFlapDiana.png
    SingleFlapDiana.png
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,000
Wow thank you ladies, the way the chain is attached it truly fascinating !!
But knowing how tall Lady Di was the length on her looks amazing, but I am short, so likely it would be too long for me.
I might hunt for one though, I really like the style of it - the shape is lovely.
Really appreciate the information very much.

Last edited:
This bag was made popular by Princess Diana in the early 1990's. It's still a highly sought after style.
I will correct Roku and mention that this is a single flap bag, not a double. It came in both lambskin and caviar leathers although it was most popular in lamb. It also was available in only 9 and 10 inch sizes.
Here's a nice pic of the single grommet style and how the chain attaches to the bag.

Cyndee, I respectfully wish to iterate you have misunderstood my post and also respectfully disagree.

I will correct Roku and mention that this is a single flap bag, not a double.

Vintage shoulder flap. Single chain. When you open the bag the chain loops through the round grommets and hooks onto the sides of the bag with small S-locks. This is a plus if you have heavy items because the chain is connected to the main base portion of the bag and not just the flap. (AS OPPOSED TO), In a regular 2.55 classic flap the chain is connected to the flap only, and so the weight of the bag is all hinged on the clasp, which holds together the top and bottom - chain pulls the bag upwards and weight pulls the bag downwards. If you snap the double flap portion closed, then the snap helps with the weight support.

You are mistaken, as I did not say the flap was double, rather, the contrary, was contrasting the bag against the double. Above as you can see, I was comparing this flap to the 2.55 double flap, stating that this flap is more supportive than the double.

I will correct Roku and mention... It also was available in only 9 and 10 inch sizes.

This bag was made in the 9 inch, 10 inch, and 11 inch styles.

I usually never correct people, but when someone tries to correct something I state, and it is wrong, then I have no choice but to respond. Please understand.

Last edited:
Wow thank you ladies, the way the chain is attached it truly fascinating !!
But knowing how tall Lady Di was the length on her looks amazing, but I am short, so likely it would be too long for me.
I might hunt for one though, I really like the style of it - the shape is lovely.
Really appreciate the information very much.

You are welcome. Please see modified corrections above.

It is a beautiful bag.

Maybe others can add different photos of bags to this thread to keep it going? So we can learn about the different styles from other "gurus" that have been collecting? I find Chanel to be one of the most fascinating designers........was an LV girl but converted .......

There is of course the vintage photo thread that I enjoy visiting, but I like the idea of discussion and learning .......and how people compare these older pieces against the modern ones and if they still stand up to the test of time? Are the old pieces able to fit in to our modern world now we carry Smart Phones, iPads and the like.............

I hope someone can add something else......

Maybe others can add different photos of bags to this thread to keep it going? So we can learn about the different styles from other "gurus" that have been collecting? I find Chanel to be one of the most fascinating designers........was an LV girl but converted .......

If you look up Chanel bags from Japan on Ebay there are a million vintage models... IMHO that would be a more efficient way to browse them

There is of course the vintage photo thread that I enjoy visiting, but I like the idea of discussion and learning .......and how people compare these older pieces against the modern ones and if they still stand up to the test of time? Are the old pieces able to fit in to our modern world now we carry Smart Phones, iPads and the like.............

Btw where is the vintage photo thread? Sounds quite lovely :smile:

Luz iz Louis, they sure do stand up to the test of time. In this case, Chanel has done an updated version in the past year or so that is very similar in design to this original. They have been doing a number of updated versions of classics but I seem to always prefer the originals....and the price point! :tup:

If you look up Chanel bags from Japan on Ebay there are a million vintage models... IMHO that would be a more efficient way to browse them

Possibly, but there are also many fakes on-line too, so you cannot be sure if you are looking at a genuine item and sometimes insufficient photos and not a way to discuss the bag itself and how others have found it when using it. eBay or other sites cannot tell you that - the good and bad points :graucho:

I asked the question as I could not find any information on that particular bag I stumbled across & wondered if the chains could be adjusted etc (like in the Classic Flaps) and from asking my question I have found out many things - so appreciate that. ;)

Possibly, but there are also many fakes on-line too, so you cannot be sure if you are looking at a genuine item and sometimes insufficient photos and not a way to discuss the bag itself and how others have found it when using it. eBay or other sites cannot tell you that - the good and bad points :graucho:

I asked the question as I could not find any information on that particular bag I stumbled across & wondered if the chains could be adjusted etc (like in the Classic Flaps) and from asking my question I have found out many things - so appreciate that. ;)

This is true... And those discussing their love of vintage like you said, is a truly worthwhile conversation :yes: