Vintage Bottega Veneta

I love vintage BV and have had several bags and clutches. Right now I have 5. Just gave one to my granddaughter to play with--she's actually very careful with it.

If they have been stored with care and not misused, they are lovely bags and the leather is like silk. The linings vary a lot--mine are in good condition but I've seen some that are just a mess.

Mostly I have bought medium size woven bags with thin straps that may be tucked inside the bag to transform it into a clutch. I have one that is simply a clutch. 3 are pleated which adds some interest, the rest are simply woven leather with either a zipper top closure or a flap that snaps on the front of the bag. I've sold a few too that I decided I didn't want to keep.

If you look in consignment shops you can feel and examine the bag thoroughly. If you buy online, buy from a trusted seller. I have found that some sellers greatly exaggerate when they say *very good condition* or describing no problems, stains, odors, etc. and you find a stain or tear when you receive it. A trusted seller will make it good somehow if they overlook something, but chances are they will carefully describe the bag.

I have a metallic pewter cross body which travels with me a lot and I love it. the exterior is in pristine condition, as per boxermom: it feels like silk. The interior however, peels slightly but I guess it is a vintage and don't bother me too much.

Anyone has experience to stop the interior leather to peel further??

I thought about getting some but I am concerned about the resale value if I want to resale them later on. Vintage BV are actually some of the most gorgeous bags I've seen though :smile:

Just out of curiosity, how much do you guys usually pay for vintage BV?

^The price I pay varies depending on how badly I want it! I have overpaid for something I *had to have*. My prices have varied from about $150--$400. I think some probably sell for close to or more than what the original retail price was, considering mine are about 15-30 years old.

I thought about getting some but I am concerned about the resale value if I want to resale them later on. Vintage BV are actually some of the most gorgeous bags I've seen though :smile:

Just out of curiosity, how much do you guys usually pay for vintage BV?

I never buy a bag thinking of a future sale. Buy what you love, and what you can afford. The price for vintage bags is all over the map, like it is for gently used recent bags. You just have to look at consignment shop websites, and auction sites. If you have some second hand shops in your area they often turn up at those types of stores.

The reference section has a vintage thread with several bags. I'm out of town currently, but when I get home I'll post some pix of my favorite vintage clutch. It's in perfect condition--a super-find from one of our best sellers.