Ving Rhames dog mauled man to death

Ving Jumps to Conclusions in Dog Attack Case

Posted Aug 14th 2007 12:30PM by TMZ Staff

0814_ving_rhames_bn_fm.jpg
The bizarre dog attack that killed a caretaker at actor Ving Rhames home just got weirder. The LA County Coroner tells TMZ that it was most likely something else, and not the dogs, that killed Jacob Adams. Ving, for his part, isn't waiting for the final report. He's already made up his mind as to what happened.

According to the Coroner, the abrasions and lacerations on Adams' body caused by the dogs were "most likely not fatal." Huh? Then just HOW did the guy die? We're told we won't know that until toxicology test results come out. Initial reports indicated Adams may have suffered a heart attack, but that has yet to be confirmed by the Coroner.

Ving, for his part, issued the following statement yesterday:

I was out of the country when this shocking and terrible tragedy occurred on my property. Jacob Adams was not just a devoted employee -- he was also a dear friend. I want to offer my heartfelt condolences to his family. I am relieved to know that the coroner's report confirmed that my dogs were not the cause of his death -- and that any wounds found on his body were superficial. I would appreciate the media's privacy for me and my family during this difficult time.

Number one, because this is a civilized country where we don't just go around shooting dogs.

Number two, it would be a travesty to simply kill an animal/person before an investigation was complete. As it appears at the moment, wounds were only to his arms and legs and were not life-threatening, thus, police do not believe the dogs killed the victim. So thankfully the authorities did not have a knee-jerk reaction and shoot the dogs on sight. :rolleyes:

ITA!!!

LVobsessed415--what an amazing story! I love Rotties!

According to where the bites were is it posible that the dogs were trying to grab him and drag him somewhere?

I am very interested to see how this all comes out.

I love how the media (and I'm sure many of the public) jumped to the conclusion that the dogs killed him when now, it looks like it may be other reasons. It's so sad that people place them blame where it is most convenient to do so and that makes the comment by someone here as to why the dogs weren't already killed even more disgusting in light of these new discoveries into this case. I wonder how she would feel about being convicted or killed for something that she did not do...or possibly was trying to prevent.

The dogs were not responsible for the man's death. The man died from a heart condition.
(But I guess everyone already knows that. Here's another article about the situation, though)

Ving Rhames' dogs 'did not kill'

Hollywood actor Ving Rhames' dogs were probably not responsible for the death of a man at the star's Los Angeles home, a coroner's report says.
40-year-old Jacob Adams, who was a caretaker at the property, was found dead on the lawn earlier this month.
The Los Angeles county coroner said that, while Mr Adams had bites to his arms and legs, the wounds were not consistent with a fatal animal attack.
The cause of death is still unknown. A toxicology report is due next month.
"When animals attack humans or other animals, the victims usually end up with bites around the head and neck," said Captain Ed Winter of the Los Angeles county coroner's office.
"He had none. This leads us to believe he went down for some other medical reason.
"We're not saying the bites were definitely not the cause of death," he added.
'Dear friend'
An English bulldog and three bull mastiffs were seized by animal services following the incident.
Representatives for Rhames said he was not in the country at the time.
The 46-year-old actor is best-known for starring alongside Tom Cruise in all three Mission: Impossible films.
He also appeared as Marsellus Wallace in Pulp Fiction, and received Golden Globe and Emmy nominations for playing boxing promoter Don King in a 1997 TV movie.
Last week, Rhames paid tribute to the victim, who he called a "dear friend".
"I want to offer my heartfelt condolences to his family," he said in a statement.

(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6957290.stm)